Challenge/Adversity Essay Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sparky21

Reaction score
Hi! I wanted some feedback on a potential topic for challenge/adversity essays... not sure which this one falls more under if you could provide some guidance on that too.

Was thinking about talking about how my family was hit badly by a horrible hurricane- we had no power for a month, parts of the house got ruined by flooding and fallen trees, etc. But how I found strength in leaning on the community and how neighbors had little to give but still supported one another. Me and my brother gave out water bottles, other people with generators opened up their homes, etc. and it showed me the power in unity and giving back, which connects to my desire to give back as a physician

Let me know what you think and if this could make for a strong/unique essay. Thanks :) !

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! I wanted some feedback on a potential topic for challenge/adversity essays... not sure which this one falls more under if you could provide some guidance on that too.

Was thinking about talking about how my family was hit badly by a horrible hurricane- we had no power for a month, parts of the house got ruined by flooding and fallen trees, etc. But how I found strength in leaning on the community and how neighbors had little to give but still supported one another. Me and my brother gave out water bottles, other people with generators opened up their homes, etc. and it showed me the power in unity and giving back, which connects to my desire to give back as a physician

Let me know what you think and if this could make for a strong/unique essay. Thanks :) !
It's a really good narrative. In my way of organizing, this is overcoming adversity and is appropriate for OIE. I guess you will see how much space you will get for secondary essays.

It's a really good narrative. In my way of organizing, this is overcoming adversity and is appropriate for OIE. I guess you will see how much space you will get for secondary essays.
Thank you so much! Sorry I'm not familiar with OIE- what does that stand for?

Members don't see this ad :)

Agree that this is a good topic. You could probably take your narrative even further and shape your theme around environmental activism (if applicable). Top schools like UCLA explicitly ask for besides a physician, what other societal missions you aim to contribute to.