Advice for a 3rd Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chemiosmotic

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am about to enter my 3rd year in medical school for the 2nd time. Wierd, huh? No, I didn't fail or take a LOA, I transferred...from a foreign medical school to a U.S. medical school. It was an amazing, unexpected opportunity that presented itself after 3 years of hard work...and there was no way I could turn it down (even though it meant repeating time).

I have already done my 3rd year and some of my fourth, and up until now I had come to the conclusion that there are just some fields that are for all practical purposes "closed" to foreign grads, even if you are a U.S. citizen. It really bugged me though, because I've always been fascinated by the skin and thought it was by far the most interesting field of study.

So as a new U.S. medical student I find myself taking a hard look down the road I never really allowed myself to hope for in the first place.

So that being said: I want to be a Dermatologist.

Step 1 Mid 240's
Step 2 Low 250's
Basic Science GPA 4.0 - (Foreign School)
Clinical Grades All Honor's, 1 High Pass (Foreign school during 1st go-round in 3rd year)
Research - 1 Surgery/Radiology project - remains unpublished (here's hoping though!)
Clinical Grades in U.S. - None yet.

Other than desprately trying to get some derm-related research in the next two years and applying broadly, can anyone offer any advice on any steps I might take that would/might be beneficial to my plight? (and my application!)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

So I am about to enter my 3rd year in medical school for the 2nd time. Wierd, huh? No, I didn't fail or take a LOA, I transferred...from a foreign medical school to a U.S. medical school. It was an amazing, unexpected opportunity that presented itself after 3 years of hard work...and there was no way I could turn it down (even though it meant repeating time).

I have already done my 3rd year and some of my fourth, and up until now I had come to the conclusion that there are just some fields that are for all practical purposes "closed" to foreign grads, even if you are a U.S. citizen. It really bugged me though, because I've always been fascinated by the skin and thought it was by far the most interesting field of study.

So as a new U.S. medical student I find myself taking a hard look down the road I never really allowed myself to hope for in the first place.

So that being said: I want to be a Dermatologist.

Step 1 Mid 240's
Step 2 Low 250's
Basic Science GPA 4.0 - (Foreign School)
Clinical Grades All Honor's, 1 High Pass (Foreign school during 1st go-round in 3rd year)
Research - 1 Surgery/Radiology project - remains unpublished (here's hoping though!)
Clinical Grades in U.S. - None yet.

Other than desprately trying to get some derm-related research in the next two years and applying broadly, can anyone offer any advice on any steps I might take that would/might be beneficial to my plight? (and my application!)

Thanks!
You know the answer pubs/research, LOR's, rock your aways, and now with second time doing 3rd year you should be able to honor all rotations, and you should be good to go.