Advice for a striving D.O.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Striving D.O.

Reaction score
Hello everyone.
I am a non-traditional 27yr old aspiring D.O. who finished my Biology with emphasis in medicine bachelors April 2021. I was lost and had a lot of personal/family hurdles/situations in the beginning and had to restart college twice with one academic expulsion in my first attempt. I began the journey as a forestry major but after getting exposed to biology and premed students/professors I realized quickly that is where my passion lies. It took me many years while working full time but I graduated without any debt. My cGPA is 3.1 and sGPA is 3.3. My first MCAT was a 498 and after not receiving any intervews I'm retaking the MCAT in August and have averaged 508 on the practice FL's. FWIW I applied to 5 schools on my first round. I have 2000+ hours as a paid medical scribe at a plastic surgery clinic with some amazing experience and direct patient contact with many responsibilities and work closely with the surgeon. I have 150 volunteer hours at St. Mary's food bank. I have 600hours of internship at an orthopedic surgery clinic where I worked closely with MA's, PA's, and was able to shadow the surgeons during clinic and mainly took HPI's as I roomed patients, took vitals removed sutures, bandages, etc. I performed research in college with 2 small publications. My question to the SDN community is if I should do a Post Bacc program or if my GPA/application is too weak given my age. I have had a lot of anxiety as I've wanted nothing more than to become a D.O. and have sacrificed a lot to try and get accepted into a program. I do not plan on giving up now but would also like some realistic expectations and any feedback/guidance is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello everyone.
I am a non-traditional 27yr old aspiring D.O. who finished my Biology with emphasis in medicine bachelors April 2021. I was lost and had a lot of personal/family hurdles/situations in the beginning and had to restart college twice with one academic expulsion in my first attempt. I began the journey as a forestry major but after getting exposed to biology and premed students/professors I realized quickly that is where my passion lies. It took me many years while working full time but I graduated without any debt. My cGPA is 3.1 and sGPA is 3.3. My first MCAT was a 498 and after not receiving any intervews I'm retaking the MCAT in August and have averaged 508 on the practice FL's. FWIW I applied to 5 schools on my first round. I have 2000+ hours as a paid medical scribe at a plastic surgery clinic with some amazing experience and direct patient contact with many responsibilities and work closely with the surgeon. I have 150 volunteer hours at St. Mary's food bank. I have 600hours of internship at an orthopedic surgery clinic where I worked closely with MA's, PA's, and was able to shadow the surgeons during clinic and mainly took HPI's as I roomed patients, took vitals removed sutures, bandages, etc. I performed research in college with 2 small publications. My question to the SDN community is if I should do a Post Bacc program or if my GPA/application is too weak given my age. I have had a lot of anxiety as I've wanted nothing more than to become a D.O. and have sacrificed a lot to try and get accepted into a program. I do not plan on giving up now but would also like some realistic expectations and any feedback/guidance is appreciated.
DO schools tend to be more receptive to people who do gpa repair so that's in your corner. I would figure a year of taking advanced science classes and getting mostly As would show your ability to handle the rigors of medical school. Your MCAT will need to be higher than average to compensate for it being that low the first time you took it. Use resources that promote active learning (flash cards, uworld, any question bank) and study with enough productive hours. That's how I had around a 10 point jump on my MCAT when I needed a retake.

Those scribe hours will really come in handy and you may need just a tad more non clinical volunteering but you may be fine.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for the advice, any suggestions for what a minimum MCAT score would be to overshadow my GPA?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the advice, any suggestions for what a minimum MCAT score would be to overshadow my GPA?
I don't know exactly but even with a year of mostly As your GPA is going to be a tad below average. If I were in your shoes I would shoot for at least a 510 to get a good shot at getting into a high tier DO school like PCOM or a state DO school if you have one.

Reactions: 2 users
What's the rush? You aren't that old. We have had 1st yr students in their 40s. Do the post back grade repair. Your GPA and learning skills need some work. Then you will be in a better place to re take the mcat. What happens if you don't hit the number this time, say a 501? Now there is a good chance of being a reapplicant and climbing that hill. Good luck and best wishes!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey! I’m 34 and about to start my first year. You are not old, and honestly time will go by regardless what you’re doing. You might as well be doing something you are passionate about. Retake the MCAT, maybe try a SMP. Whatever you do just stay focused on your goal. You’ll get there.

Reactions: 3 users