Advice for COMLEX III

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DO_Surgeon

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just registered for COMLEX III next month. I am a general surgery intern, and have had the majority of my non-surgical rotations. I just bought crush step 3 and the NMS q book. Anyone have any advice for studying (length of time, books, important topics, etc) What about the new computer format and how many questions do you need to pass?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Should I keep my USMLE Step 2 book (step up to step 2) or can I sell it? I don't want to kick myself next year for throwing it out.

Sending good vibes to everyone waiting for their score. I hope we all pass and everyone gets good news

do our programs automatically get our scores like our schools used to or is there something we have to do in order to forward the scores to them

What is the bare minimum prep needed to pass the exam? I don't care about my score only passing. I was a good medical student and I'm in an ACGME intern year right now. Can I pass this cold turkey? I did no prep for comlex 2 and passed (I did study for USMLE 2 though)

What's the general consensus?

I used COMQUEST, once through, averaged about 70% and passed no problem. I also used Master the Boards Step 3. I feel as though a question bank would have been enough. The general consensus on these threads seems to be MTB and either comquest/combank and perhaps the green book. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. If you passed step 2 without any problem step 3 did not seem that different to me. Do some questions to dust off the brain cobwebs and you should be good to go.

BTW, scores are up at least through July 10th test takers.

Hey you guys...if we passed COMLEX 3, will we have to do some CCS thing? My fellow residents at an MD program I am at, are saying that the COMLEX 3 is changing and I will need to do a COMLEX 3 PE (type of thing?)

I hope I'm done with COMLEX 3 and can finally get licensed haha

do we need to forward our score to anyone? or do we just kind of sit on it until it comes time to apply for license?

What is the bare minimum prep needed to pass the exam? I don't care about my score only passing. I was a good medical student and I'm in an ACGME intern year right now. Can I pass this cold turkey? I did no prep for comlex 2 and passed (I did study for USMLE 2 though)

What's the general consensus?

This is no consensus but it is my opinion that if you are a decent test taker you can definitely pass level 3 cold turkey.

Scores are up for August.

3rd year Emergency Medicine resident, first time Comlex 3 taker. Studied for 1 month with MTB for Step II, and Crush Step III. Green book for OTM 1 week before. No question bank. I found EM training adequate for most questions.

Comsae 1 day prior to test: 668
Official Comlex 3: 777

Reactions: 1 user
I had FA for step 3, did comquest and repeated the incorrects then read the green book 1wk before. No comsae, got 730. Did well on the other ones though. I think that residency is the best way to prepare, bc that Aug 10th exam had so much random ****.

Members don't see this ad :)
Waiting on results. Looks like it'll be late October or early November before scores are up for the first part of September. Felt like I was taking the wrong test. Ophtho? Cranial?

I never feel good about those tests and wind up passing so here's hoping the last one is a charm. Or at least a pass.

Waiting on results. Looks like it'll be late October or early November before scores are up for the first part of September. Felt like I was taking the wrong test. Ophtho? Cranial?

I never feel good about those tests and wind up passing so here's hoping the last one is a charm. Or at least a pass.
Those tests are so unpredictable. I'm sure that you did awesome! Were the clinical cases included yet?

COMSAE: 632 (2 weeks before), COMLEX 3: 798...most random of all 3 tests, just do combank and read whatever you fancy. You should get between a 400 - 800 and I don't know how they decide

Hello all,

I'm taking the COMLEX 3 on November 21st. Residency has been busy so I'm doing all my studying on my 2 week vacation and then just taking it. I've done about 500/1300 of Comquest with high 60s average. I'm going through MTB OBGYN and Peds and then Saverese for OMM. I may skim the other subjects in MTB if I have time. Also, can someone elaborate on the new portion of the exam?

Thank you!

Hello all,

I'm taking the COMLEX 3 on November 21st. Residency has been busy so I'm doing all my studying on my 2 week vacation and then just taking it. I've done about 500/1300 of Comquest with high 60s average. I'm going through MTB OBGYN and Peds and then Saverese for OMM. I may skim the other subjects in MTB if I have time. Also, can someone elaborate on the new portion of the exam?

Thank you!
For the new portion, look at the tutorial on the nbome site. It gives 'practice' type cases and it will give you a great idea of what to expect on test day. In all honesty, I liked it better than the test and felt much more comfortable with that section.

Did you use anything in particular to prepare for the CDM questions? I did the tutorial, but got a few wrong based on there policy of Zero points if 'X' is chosen even though the majority of what I choose was correct.

Also any comments on if I use MTB3, Comquest, Saverese +/- Combank? Maybe overkill but I have a tendency to freak out to the maximum for any exam, especially board exams. It's a miracle I sat through the as many tests and board exams as I have so far...

Also I just did the 50 question preview of COMLEX 3 on NBOME site... I just could not figure out what the hell they were asking and probably bombed it....

what is the guideline for biopsy'ing a prostate nodule ? is this in any of the qbanks or MTB3?

Last edited:
The test yesterday was all over the place. A fair amount of cranial that I wasn't expecting. The cases weren't bad, but I have no idea how they're graded. Feel unsure how that test went.

I didn't think it was all that bad. Not as bad as Comlex 1 and 2. Not as many vague questions in my opinion. My test seemed to be pretty evenly distributed with questions as I had a good mix of ob/gyn, peds, cardio, respiratory and GI. It didn't seem like much neuro or OMM.

I studied a lot because I'm not the best test taker. But I think as others have mentioned that doing comquest and reading master the boards will suffice. Almost 6 months in to intern year I think that definitely helped also, so I'm glad I got it out of the way semi-early in the year, but glad I had a few months under my belt as I don't think I would've done as well if I took it my first or second month of intern year.

I took the practice comsae the weekend before and I think that was also pretty representative of how my exam was. Good luck everyone!

Took this on December 1st. My experience was far off from what others have said.

This thing was literally 30% or more OMM, and vague OMM crap at that. My CCM cases were even riddled with OMM.

Additionally multiple mispellings on a licensing exam can't help but make you cringe

Took this on December 1st. My experience was far off from what others have said.

This thing was literally 30% or more OMM, and vague OMM crap at that. My CCM cases were even riddled with OMM.

Additionally multiple mispellings on a licensing exam can't help but make you cringe

Anyone else take it recently? Just wondering what else to expect? Thanks

Took it today. Lots of OMM questions (about 30%) regarding setting up for treatment. Didn't have a lot of OB or peds. CDM cases aren't too difficult and that was the part I felt the most comfortable with. Did all of combank and first few chapters in savarese for OMM review. Here is to hoping I passed and being done with NBOME forever!!

Took it today. Lots of OMM questions (about 30%) regarding setting up for treatment. Didn't have a lot of OB or peds. CDM cases aren't too difficult and that was the part I felt the most comfortable with. Did all of combank and first few chapters in savarese for OMM review. Here is to hoping I passed and being done with NBOME forever!!

Would you be able to get specific in regards of what they asked in terms of set up for OMM?

I took it a few weeks ago. They love heart sounds for some reason as well. My exam had a fair share of OB and Peds, but nothing out of ordinary. As far as IM they focused on Neurology, specifically concussion protocols and bleeds. OMM was not bad, but there is some stuff for which you can't prepare for.

As far as the last section, my computer froze because I was scrolling up and down using the cursor on the right side of the screen. It was frozen for 2-3 mins and they had to restarted the computer. Luckily, I began the section like 10 minutes earlier so I didn't panic. In all I probably lost a 2 minutes on exam time. I would go over the previous CDM questions on NBOME site. I had two peds cases on my CDM section for a total of 8 cases. Once you press next you can't go back.

Like apple3, I didn't feel great but all you need is a 350 to pass and the prospect of never having to do OMM again made me smile. Good luck to rest of you guys!

I took it a few weeks ago. They love heart sounds for some reason as well. My exam had a fair share of OB and Peds, but nothing out of ordinary. As far as IM they focused on Neurology, specifically concussion protocols and bleeds. OMM was not bad, but there is some stuff for which you can't prepare for.

As far as the last section, my computer froze because I was scrolling up and down using the cursor on the right side of the screen. It was frozen for 2-3 mins and they had to restarted the computer. Luckily, I began the section like 10 minutes earlier so I didn't panic. In all I probably lost a 2 minutes on exam time. I would go over the previous CDM questions on NBOME site. I had two peds cases on my CDM section for a total of 8 cases. Once you press next you can't go back.

Like apple3, I didn't feel great but all you need is a 350 to pass and the prospect of never having to do OMM again made me smile. Good luck to rest of you guys!
Ditto this. Took in on the 18th of Dec, and I feel violated, even after doing COMBANK for 2 months. Marginal peds and OB-GYN. Lots of heart sounds, neuroanatomy, and OMM. Random swimming pool and audiology report questions.

Even after looking some of the questions up, I still don't know the answer weeks later.

COMLEX be like: "what is the treatment for X"?
UPTODATE be like: "there is no general consensus on the treatment for X".

Hoping for at least that 350...

Anybody remember the last day of score releases for us December test takers? They've already changed the chart to 2016

Anybody remember the last day of score releases for us December test takers? They've already changed the chart to 2016

January 11th. I called NBOME and was told that the scores will be released some time today. As of 11 am CST there were no known delays in score release. I hope they release them soon.

January 11th. I called NBOME and was told that the scores will be released some time today. As of 11 am CST there were no known delays in score release. I hope they release them soon.

I thought it was today but with it getting later and later was starting to wonder if I was mistaken. Thanks!

Scores up! By far and away my worst score of the three but still quite a bit above average. Not sure how they legitimately graded my subsections when my test was basically an OMM final...dirty bastards.

Done with NBOME. Best score out of the three tests. Mainly I studied OBGYN and Peds for two weeks before test with OMM the last 2-3 days. I am a IM resident so didn't really need to go back and do that again. I am not sure how much the combank/comquest really helped. The test is kind of a blur and I really don't recall thinking "hey I know this because of combank/comquest". But I do recommend them to get the timing down and build your confidence.

Good luck! and Good Riddance NBOME/OMM!

Of course scores don't come out until the last hour of the last day of the score release...

Best score of the three tests.

Definitely walked out of there thinking I failed, lots of ambiguous questions. Thought the cases section was tough at least for me, especially because I would get to the next linked question realizing I didn't order some test.

COMSAE: ~750
Actual: ~675

I'll take it. Goodbye NBOME!

Of course scores don't come out until the last hour of the last day of the score release...

Best score of the three tests.

Definitely walked out of there thinking I failed, lots of ambiguous questions. Thought the cases section was tough at least for me, especially because I would get to the next linked question realizing I didn't order some test.

COMSAE: ~750
Actual: ~675

I'll take it. Goodbye NBOME!

Same. Thought I failed as well. Passed comfortably.

Green book is now in the trash.

Goodbye NBOME.

Passed. Score 614. Did combank for 1-2 hours everyday for a month. Got through the entire qbank with 75% average. I am not sure if doing combank actually helped though. This exam was so random I am not sure if studying actually helps.

Best moment today: throwing away the green book in the trash can.

Done with NBOME forever!!

I didn't even think about throwing the green book away when I passed last month. Great idea!

Did Comquest / Combank (would choose 1 in retrospect), MTB 3 Peds/ObGyn and used as reference, Savarese -> 2 weeks dedicated studying + 4 weeks of 3-4 hrs nightly -> Took it Dec 22. Thought it was incredibly hard, but somehow, someway, I passed, comfortably. Thank you Lord. Goodbye COMLEX. PM if any specific questions.

Just took it...it is mostly a mixture of Ob/GYN and peds w/ a side of OMM. It really is mostly a common sense test and not that crazy compared to the previous 2 exams. Devoted a month of "studying" during my nightshift month. Would do ~50+ questions a night when I wasn't busy, and somehow got through MTB one complete time. I didn't know everything on Test day, but I felt fine. We've seen the same questions sooooo many times over the years. Nothing much has changed.

Took it January 16th...got maybe 2 weeks of dedicated study time. Did all of UWorld and the OMM questions from Comquest. Read most of Savarese.

Final score: 744

So happy to be done with the NBOME and to finally have my Savarese book burning party :D

Hey Folks,

Was wondering if anyone else had experience with MTB 3 vs 2. I own two from when I took my step 2 and found it to be helpful. Should I get MTB 3 for certain parts and use MTB 2 for the rest? I've also got Step up to Step 2 and the ever beloved green book.

I'm asking mainly because I took the test back in July 2015 and barely missed passing (got a 346....please kill me), but was also dealing with a lot of extra circumstances (new baby + wife also starting her intern year = this guy having to act like a single parent). I'm halfway through my PGY-2 year and have tentatively scheduled my re-take for March 22. Things have eased up a bit schedule-wise and I think I can dedicate hopefully 2-3 hours per day on weekdays to studying (with in-between studying at work, hopefully). On my previous attempt I was only able to get through 400 Comquest questions and skimmed through the green book.

It seems like there's a consensus on the CDM cases in that they're a crapshoot and doing the practice questions on the NBOME website is about the best you can do.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Well just took it. garbage as usual. if it's a requirement to pass that last section of the clinical decision cases then I'm a goner. Did all of Combank and rarely got asked anything high yield, and if it was asked, it was presented in such a way to where it was not even close to being obvious. sure hope that breaking 350 isn't a tall order b/c at this point i'd settle for hitting it on the nose! does anyone know how much (if any) this test can blow a chance at fellowships? I really felt bad on just about every section during that test. here's hoping....fo...dat...350