Advice for gap year- Wayne State BMS vs. Retakes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

femmegoblue

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I need some solid advice about what to do this next year. First of all, I am 100% dedicated to osteopathic medicine and have done literally everything MSUCOM has told me to do (all of the visits, tours, admissions things etc that they ask in their secondary). I am a MI resident and MSUCOM is where I want to be.

Stats:

cGPA: 3.19
sGPA: 2.8
MCAT: 502

Significant DO shadowing w/ MSUCOM alum and current OMM professor for the OMSI's and letter from her. Strong commitment to the underserved which is evident in my PS. Volunteering at free clinic, research at UM health system and UM SPH. 100+ additional hours in mother baby unit, very strong leadership positions at UM (orientation leader + tour guide), unique UG major that always gets attention/sparks interest, becoming a doula in Nov.

The problem:

C+ in Orgo I and II
C in Physics I and II

Those are my only "poor" grades but since I was a social science major they sig. bring down my sGPA.

My question:

I was admitted to Wayne State BMS and am almost 100% doing it because it is well recieved by MI schools. I have only recently began to re-consider this and simply spend the year retaking these four classes. If I get A's in all four, my sGPA raises to 3.4 (huge jump).

So, what should I do? Enroll in well known and respected BMS and aim for all 4.0 and strong prof rec letter, or do retakes on my own (4 classes). Again, ideally wanna stay in Michigan and ideally ideally MSUCOM.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Since MSUCOM is your #1 goal and you're 100% dedicated to DO, I would call MSU admissions office and ask them directly which of these they would rather you do. Getting the sGPA up to a 3.4 would help tremendously. Your cGPA isn't great but the rest of your app appears fine.

If you're even thinking about MD schools, the BMS program is a must for you. If you do the DIY postbacc, you need to make sure you get nothing less than an A for all the retakes. But really, I'm just some random on the internet and the MSU admissions department is who you need to call and ask your question.

Reactions: 1 user
Based on my understanding that program is a master's program right? if so, then it won't contribute positively to your low UG sGPA. Your cGPA is fine, but the problem that I see is with your sGPA. Retaking classes is the best and fastest way to get that sGPA up. If I was in your position, I'd take a year to retake those four classes, ace them with A's, then apply next cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Based on my understanding that program is a master's program right? if so, then it won't contribute positively to your low UG sGPA. Your cGPA is fine, but the problem that I see is with your sGPA. Retaking classes is the best and fastest way to get that sGPA up. If I was in your position, I'd take a year to retake those four classes, ace them with A's, then apply next cycle.
This is the line of thinking that lead me to post here, and I'm starting to gather others feel the same. For some reason though it just feels a lot "safer" to be doing a structured Master's program that doses a very good job of making noncompetitive applicants into competitive one. Also, the main Admissions woman at MSUCOM told me via email that retakes can no longer apply to my sGPA because I graduated.. is this true? Her words were "you need to do a post-bacc or master's to reinvent yourself as an applicant" which kind of goes against what I thought. She just confused me more, but I do have an advising apt. with her on Aug. 11 in person.

If you want to go to MSUCOM ONLY than do retakes, if you want to apply to other schools in MI than do WSU -BMS ... Personally I would go to WSU-BMS either way. The adcom at MSUCOM are very familiar with the program (many of my classmates have done it) and you have more flexibility with better grades in the harder science courses.

If you want to go to MSUCOM ONLY than do retakes, if you want to apply to other schools in MI than do WSU -BMS ... Personally I would go to WSU-BMS either way. The adcom at MSUCOM are very familiar with the program (many of my classmates have done it) and you have more flexibility with better grades in the harder science courses.
Thanks lady! That is the most helpful advice I have gotten this whole time :)