Advice for junior high school student

hemmings123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
I am in grade 11 (junior year) and I had a few questions regarding grades and universities. I want to become a dentist, and I am hoping to go to Stanford, UBC, McGill, harvard or UPenn. Do most universities in the states look at your marks from grade 9-12? I know in Canada they only look at your 11 and 12 marks. I got 6 A's and 2 B's last year but I didn;t do so well in gr.9. If I get a GPA of 3.5-3.7 these next two years, as well of lots of volunteer work, extra curricular activities and get relatively high on my SAT'sdo you think I have a chance of getting into any of the universities listed above? Also, do you have any advice for me (for applying into uni's, studying or anything else)
Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Most of the top tier schools have average HS GPA's that are 3.8+, and the median SAT is around 2150-2250. Focus on raising your grade and scoring well on the SAT. The undergrad schools look at all four years, but if you have an upward trend in grades you have a better chance. Volunteer in areas that you like and are passionate about.

Top 10 schools are extremely hard to get into, but if you focus, it is possible. IMO, consider going somewhere else for undergrad then a "top 20" for dental school. Most med/dental schools (more sure about med schools) do not care where you went in your undergrad as long as you scored well.

Good luck!