Advice for MCAT studying/prep course please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KamG96

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, so I will be taking my MCAT within the next year or so. What are some study tips you recommend? I have bought the study books for each subject from kaplan and plan to work through all of those and study them and then take many practice exams. Also work through the free online study material the AAMC has out online. What are some other ideas? Also is it a good idea to take a prep course, if so which one would you recommend?

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi @KamG96

One tip that I can give you would be that after you take a practice exam make sure you look over all of the explanations, even for the questions you get right. The reason is because you can sometimes pick up hints in the explanations.

There are lots of free MCAT practice questions available from lots of different places, but make sure the questions you do mimic the AAMC questions. Also Khan Academy has some free MCAT videos and practice questions, so you might want to check them out.

From talking to a few of our students, some students like a prep course or a tutor that offers a lesson plan. However, lots of students say that a prep course is not a good investment simply because a prep course only offers structure to your study plan and forces you to study. If you can be committed to studying on your own the majority of premed students (that are dedicated to studying on their own) will probably say not to take a prep course.

If you are are studying and you find that you need help with just a few topics in a subject I would highly recommend that you think about going to wyzant.com. On wyzant you can pay by the hour so you do not have to spend thousands of dollars, you can switch tutors if you find that the person you get isn't helpful and read reviews about the tutor, and your first hour with a tutor has a good fit guarantee.

There are also lots of study plans on SDN that you can follow to get you the score you need.

Hope that is helpful. Best of luck! :)

Last edited: