MCAT Prep Advice Please!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Izzy_tn

Reaction score
Hello,

I am planning on taking my MCAT April 29th 2023. I want to start studying December 1st since my semester will be over. So from 12/01 to 04/28 will be my study period. I have all the Kaplan books, Anki, jack sparrow and ortho528 flashcards. I am wondering if I should register for the blueprint course or I can use the Kaplan books and maybe get the AAMC official prep bundle. The blueprint course is pretty expensive, so I was wondering if it's a waste of money or really worth it? Or I should just focus on the ones I have and the AAMC prep bundle.

Members don't see this ad.

I know it says new for 2022, but it was made for the older MCAT and modified in 2015 and I believe 2019 or so, but it hasn't changed much.

The 509 or better thread shows a more up-to-date list of what books and videos people are using.

Link Here

AVERAGE STUDENT in the 509+ thread, over last two years
1) Your individual scores and composite score:
515.2 (129, 128, 129, 129)

2) The study method used for each section 3) What materials you used for each section

C/P:
UWorld 4
Kaplan 6
Khan Academy 2
EK 2
BR 2
NS/BP 2

CARS:
UWorld 3
Kaplan 4
JW 2
Khan Academy 1
EK 2
NS/BP 2
TPR 1

B/B:
UWorld 6
Kaplan 5
AK Videos 3
Khan Academy 2
EK 2
TPR 1
NS/BP 2

P/S:
UWorld 6
Kaplan 4
Anki 2
Khan Academy 3
EK 1
86-page doc 1
NS/BP 2

6) Any other tips you may have for those of us who still have this test lurking over us?
* The MCAT is a test that reflects the effort you put into it.
* Make sure you go through the SB twice and really review you FL's
* 3rd party FLs are not representative of your score. Just use them to simulate exam condition and gain stamina.
* Take Biochem right before studying, if you can
* Be flexible about your schedule and adjust your plans according to your weaknesses.
* SELF CARE. After you take a practice test, be done for the day. review what you did wrong the next day
* For CARS, you just have to find your rhythm
* The month of wait after you're done with the test will be grueling with anxiety of whether you bombed the test or not.
* Anki is a life-saver, make sure you do it every day. I made my own cards
* I wish I did UWorld sooner.
* Don't slack on CARS. don't fall into the trap of pushing CARS off.
* No third party material represents AAMC CARS which is true, but you still need to practice and perfect your strategy.
* Trust yourself.
* Don't get jammed up by lengthy passages like I did on CARS.
* COMMIT. It is pain but just do it!!!!
* Read scientific literature and practice asking questions that would be on the Exam. Working in science and having hands on experience analyzing DNA and protein gels made BB way easier.
* Being an avid reader helped my CARS score.
* Don't fall into the trap of focusing too much on content review. Just being able to successfully navigate the passages is half the battle.
* Also try to take biochem as close to your test date as possible.

7) How long did you study for the MCAT?
Average of 3.6 months of committed weekly study

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I know it says new for 2022, but it was made for the older MCAT and modified in 2015 and I believe 2019 or so, but it hasn't changed much.

The 509 or better thread shows a more up-to-date list of what books and videos people are using.

Link Here

AVERAGE STUDENT in the 509+ thread, over last two years
1) Your individual scores and composite score:
515.2 (129, 128, 129, 129)

2) The study method used for each section 3) What materials you used for each section

C/P:
UWorld 4
Kaplan 6
Khan Academy 2
EK 2
BR 2
NS/BP 2

CARS:
UWorld 3
Kaplan 4
JW 2
Khan Academy 1
EK 2
NS/BP 2
TPR 1

B/B:
UWorld 6
Kaplan 5
AK Videos 3
Khan Academy 2
EK 2
TPR 1
NS/BP 2

P/S:
UWorld 6
Kaplan 4
Anki 2
Khan Academy 3
EK 1
86-page doc 1
NS/BP 2

6) Any other tips you may have for those of us who still have this test lurking over us?
* 3rd party FLs are not representative of your score. Just use them to simulate exam condition and gain stamina.
* Be flexible about your schedule and adjust your plans according to your weaknesses.
* SELF CARE. After you take a practice test, be done for the day. review what you did wrong the next day
* The month of wait after you're done with the test will be grueling with anxiety of whether you bombed the test or not.
* No third party material represents AAMC CARS which is true, but you still need to practice and perfect your strategy.
* Trust yourself.
* Read scientific literature and practice asking questions that would be on the Exam. Working in science and having hands on experience analyzing DNA and protein gels made BB way easier.
* Don't fall into the trap of focusing too much on content review. Just being able to successfully navigate the passages is half the battle.

7) How long did you study for the MCAT?
Average of 3.6 months of committed weekly study
This was great advice. Some of the best I've ever seen.

* Trust yourself.
These should be stickied somewhere. Super helpful.

It is important that you practice CARs everyday. Force yourself to read 3 passages a day and you will increase in your ability to comprehend and read quickly

Reactions: 1 users
The first step in studying is building your knowledge base. Set realistic deadlines for when you should be done reviewing content. Doing practice tests while getting through material is not an effective strategy. Instead, take practice exams after you have absorbed the content. It will be a waste of time taking exams when you have no mastery of a subject. When practicing, try to simulate the same test conditions of the MCAT. Exams will reveal gaps in your knowledge. Take time to work on those weak areas more!