This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Marimom0329

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am starting college in the summer on a pre-vet track with a Bio major. I just recently decided to go to vet school after my undergrad and i am very nervous about it. I have researched all pre reqs and requirements for vet but I feel like I am not completely aware of what i have to do.

I have began looking for vet clinics to shadow and I am taking all of the required classes for the next few years if undergrad. Is there any advice you can give me?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there!

I would say the first step would be to shadow a veterinarian at a vet clinic to start with. That way, you'll get an idea of what the profession entails and know if that's the career path you want to pursue. Oftentimes, when we have undergrad students come shadow at the clinic I work at and I ask why they want to be a veterinarian, they answer with "because I love animals!" Veterinarians spend a lot more time dealing with people than the do with the animals. Knowing what a veterinarian does on a day to day basis is a good way to understand if that's truly want you want to do for life. You'll need a minimum about of hours shadowing/volunteering/working alongside a veterinarian and need a letter of recommendation from one when you apply to vet school.

Also, look into the high debt and mental health issues associated with this profession. Vet school is VERY expensive and it's not uncommon for new graduates to leave with over $250,000+ in debt from school which far outweighs the ratio to their income, unfortunately.

Above all, try to keep your grades up as best as you can! I know grades aren't everything, but it's harder to fix them down the road. Looking back, I overloaded myself between working full-time and school and, as a result, did not have the GPA I wish I did which probably did not do me any favors when I applied to vet schools.

I hope this helps. I'm sure others will chime in as well with more advice for you. :)

Reactions: 1 user
If your college has a pre-vet club join it. That will help you along the way. You need to get significant vet and animal hours in. Start with shadowing a vet. I have heard that if you have trouble finding a vet look for the emergency vet in your area. You may have weird hours but they often encourage shadowing. The financial issues are real. It is a hard road and you need to be totally committed to do it! (For full disclosure this is coming from someone that is just finishing his freshman year pre-vet. (I was lucky and got early admission to vet school so I did go through interviews and applications (just a bit abbreviated). Grades are important, so is having some fun. Find the balance undergraduate and enjoy college because once you start vet school it is a real pressure cooker.

Get that vet experience. Yes, it checks some boxes for what is required for veterinary school application, but it also makes sure that you know what being a veterinarian is really like (as much as one can without being one, anyway).

Reactions: 1 user