Advice for reapplicant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

capacityconsult

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I applied for the 2013-2014 cycle without really having it figured out. Took my MCAT in August, didn't submit primary until September. 3.9 cGPA and sGPA. Scored a 31 on the MCAT (10BS 13VR 8PS). Oregon resident, went to a small private university in northern California. A fair variety of extracurriculars - some volunteer, shadowing, undergraduate research, clinical experience, international experience, but my extracurriculars are probably below average (haven't racked up a huge number of hours in anything, no publications, etc).

Applied to the following schools, plus a couple other "reach" ones:
Albany Medical College
Creighton
George Washington University
Georgetown
Indiana University
University of Southern California
Loma Linda
Medical College of Wisconsin
Oregon Health and Sciences University
Saint Louis
Ohio State
West Virginia University

Interviewed at OHSU and WVU, put on pre-interview hold by Albany. Outright rejected by OHSU after being on hold, waitlisted by WVU.

My gameplan going forward is to get my application submitted within the next week, marking the intention to retake the MCAT in early August. I've also been applying for a job position that would give me clinical experience, such as a scribe. Definitely plan to get some more volunteer experience as well.

These are the schools I'm considering applying for this upcoming cycle:
OHSU
Netter/Quinnipiac
Western Michigan
Oakland University
Eastern Virginia Medical School
Pennsylvannia State
University of Toledo
University of Miami Miller
University of Vermont
University of Cincinnati
Georgetown
University of Rochester
Albany Medical College
Hofstra
Jefferson Medical College
University of Central Florida
Univeristy of Maryland
New York Medical College

I would appreciate advice in two areas: one, looking at my new list of medical schools. Are there any I should take out, be considering, or reapply to from my first list? If so, please say why. I'll also be applying to several DO schools. Definitely Western U with the Oregon campus, any other suggestions?

And secondly, is my new game plan pretty solid?

Thank you for the help,
Chris

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Goro suggests the following. Low low tier, with stats close to your own, especially the current < avg MCAT score. I took out the OOS public schools because they favor the home team.

OHSU
Tulane
Wake Forest
Rush
Rosy Franklin
MCW
Tufts
SLU
VCU
Creighton
Loyola
Netter/Quinnipiac
Western Michigan
Oakland University
Pennsylvannia State
Albany Medical College
Hofstra
Drexel
Temple
New York Medical College
All other new MD schools.

Pacific NW
KCUMB
AT Still
Western-Pomona
TUCOM-CA
TUCOM-NV
DMU
CCOM
MUCOM
both AZ schools

I'll also be applying to several DO schools. Definitely Western U with the Oregon campus, any other suggestions?

Yes

Reactions: 1 user
Not a big deal, but Ohio State is abbreviated OSU. So are some other schools, but none as big as OSU.

If you're looking for clinical experience and can't get a scribe job (which are extremely competitive in some areas) look into becoming a CNA for a pretty good job market and an opportunity to do direct patient care.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all,

I applied for the 2013-2014 cycle without really having it figured out. Took my MCAT in August, didn't submit primary until September. 3.9 cGPA and sGPA. Scored a 31 on the MCAT (10BS 13VR 8PS). Oregon resident, went to a small private university in northern California. A fair variety of extracurriculars - some volunteer, shadowing, undergraduate research, clinical experience, international experience, but my extracurriculars are probably below average (haven't racked up a huge number of hours in anything, no publications, etc).

Applied to the following schools, plus a couple other "reach" ones:
Albany Medical College
Creighton
George Washington University
Georgetown
Indiana University
University of Southern California
Loma Linda
Medical College of Wisconsin
Oregon Health and Sciences University
Saint Louis
Ohio State
West Virginia University

Interviewed at OHSU and WVU, put on pre-interview hold by Albany. Outright rejected by OHSU after being on hold, waitlisted by WVU.

My gameplan going forward is to get my application submitted within the next week, marking the intention to retake the MCAT in early August. I've also been applying for a job position that would give me clinical experience, such as a scribe. Definitely plan to get some more volunteer experience as well.

These are the schools I'm considering applying for this upcoming cycle:
OHSU
Netter/Quinnipiac
Western Michigan
Oakland University
Pennsylvannia State
University of Toledo
University of Vermont
University of Cincinnati
Georgetown
University of Rochester
Albany Medical College
Hofstra
Univeristy of Maryland
New York Medical College

I would appreciate advice in two areas: one, looking at my new list of medical schools. Are there any I should take out, be considering, or reapply to from my first list? If so, please say why. I'll also be applying to several DO schools. Definitely Western U with the Oregon campus, any other suggestions?

Thank you for the help,
Chris

If you tell them you're taking the MCAT in August, they won't review your app till they get your latest set of scores in September. You'll be at a significant disadvantage again because of a late application. Your MCAT is solid already, unless you're aiming for top schools or have done significantly better on practice exams I wouldn't recommend a retake esp with a 3.9 GPA.

How much community service and clinical experience do you currently have?

If those are low I'd focus on that this summer and put them as current/planned activities on AMCAS.

Not a big deal, but Ohio State is abbreviated OSU. So are some other schools, but none as big as OSU.
I don't think he is applying there, rather Oregon Health and Science University (OHSU).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
Goro suggests the following. Low low tier, with stats close to your own, especially the current < avg MCAT score.

Thank you Goro, I really appreciate the feedback.

If you're looking for clinical experience and can't get a scribe job (which are extremely competitive in some areas) look into becoming a CNA for a pretty good job market and an opportunity to do direct patient care.

Thanks for the suggestion, I have heard elsewhere that CNA jobs are pretty available so it's something I'll consider.

If you tell them you're taking the MCAT in August, they won't review your app till they get your latest set of scores in September. You'll be at a significant disadvantage again because of a late application. Your MCAT is solid already, unless you're aiming for top schools or have done significantly better on practice exams I wouldn't recommend a retake esp with a 3.9 GPA.

If those are low I'd focus on that this summer and put them as current/planned activities on AMCAS.

Thanks for the feedback. Yea, I was afraid of that. I guess my assumption was that an 8 on the PS section was a greater disadvantage than applying late in the cycle.

Clinical: Maybe 100 hours shadowing (2 experiences) and 70 hours volunteer (2 experiences)
Other volunteer: 35 hrs volunteering at an elementary school, a week volunteering as a camp counselor, a week working with Habitat for Humanity, a month on an international experience

I don't think he is applying there, rather Oregon Health and Science University (OHSU).

Actually, I think the poster didn't like that I listed "Ohio State" as one of the schools I applied to last cycle.

Actually, I think the poster didn't like that I listed "Ohio State" as one of the schools I applied to last cycle.

No, I was completely wrong. I just saw that you said you applied to Ohio State previously, and then saw that you were considering applying to two other Ohio schools this cycle, so erroneously assumed you meant OHSU for Ohio State. Apologies, I had never heard of Oregon Health and Science University before.

I agree. Have you taken practice tests yet? Unless you're consistently scoring 4+ points higher than a 31 (as scores commonly drop 3 pts below average on the actual exam), I don't think a retake in August would be the best option. A subsection score of 8 is better than an application not being complete until September, at least in my opinion.

The late timing of your application was likely what held you back last cycle. If you can submit ASAP and get some more clinical experience (update your schools in a letter since you can't list future activities on amcas), you'd be in a great position for admission!

Also, as a reapplicant, it's important to show that you've strengthened your application. Out of those ECs you listed, are any of them ones that you started after your first application cycle? Or have you been doing anything in the meantime that is different/new from when you first applied?

No, I was completely wrong. I just saw that you said you applied to Ohio State previously, and then saw that you were considering applying to two other Ohio schools this cycle, so erroneously assumed you meant OHSU for Ohio State. Apologies, I had never heard of Oregon Health and Science University before.

Ah, my mistake as well then.

I agree. Have you taken practice tests yet? Unless you're consistently scoring 4+ points higher than a 31 (as scores commonly drop 3 pts below average on the actual exam), I don't think a retake in August would be the best option. A subsection score of 8 is better than an application not being complete until September, at least in my opinion.

The late timing of your application was likely what held you back last cycle. If you can submit ASAP and get some more clinical experience (update your schools in a letter since you can't list future activities on amcas), you'd be in a great position for admission!

Alright, thank you for your input. Sounds like that might be the route I should go.

There are a couple of new ECs I will be able to add to the application. But I think the idea you mention of sending update letters would be my best bet to show positive change.

Agreed. Id try to get a little bit more clinical experience this summer. You can list it as continuing/planned hrs on AMCAS. An 8 subsection score should be above most schools cut-offs with the exception of some top schools. If you can complete all your applications by august 1st, you should be in good shape.

Agreed. Id try to get a little bit more clinical experience this summer. You can list it as continuing/planned hrs on AMCAS. An 8 subsection score should be above most schools cut-offs with the exception of some top schools. If you can complete all your applications by august 1st, you should be in good shape.

Alright, great. I will focus on my extracurriculars and applications, get those submitted, and only add a date for the MCAT later if I'm sure I can improve my score. Thanks again :).