Advice for SMP, graduation delayed because I'm missing 1 exam, is this a big flag? (+ other question)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1142471

I am a non-trad student in the UNTHSC M.S. in Medical Sciences (Online)

I was supposed to graduate today but I am missing an exam from the Fall 2021 Semester.

For brevity's sake I missed a final exam for one class because my dad had a severe urinary tract infection and had to go to the ER for multiple visits. I also had other finals, but I took those before the health scare, and by the time the next semester was around I was ready to go, but I still didn't finish the last exam.

- I am wondering how much of a red flag this is.
I can still take the exam (I have an Incomplete until I take the final exam because of the extenuating circumstance) and finish the course, but I will have finished after the date to graduation, which puts me in graduation for the Fall instead of Summer.

I just feel like trash because it's another thing I'm going to have to explain, but I am wondering how much this (realistically) will limit my opportunities, if at all, or diminish my chances at prospective schools. The point of an SMP is to handle the rigor in a year. I did that, but because of 1 exam it looks like I took a year and a half.

If I do well on this exam, I will finish my SMP with a 4.0 GPA, or if I get a B I will have a 3.94. I did well and studied my butt off for everything but I hope I'm not dinged too severely.

- My other question is, given I attended from 2021-2022, if there are negative connotations associated with doing an online program. My memory is hazy but I feel like during 2021 COVID was still a big concern, so I did an online, which I know is traditionally frowned down upon.

Thank you to the community here.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a non-trad student in the UNTHSC SMP (Online). .

I was supposed to graduate today but I am missing an exam from the Fall 2021 Semester.

For brevity's sake I missed a final exam for one class because my dad had a severe urinary tract infection and had to go to the ER for multiple visits. I also had other finals, but I took those before the health scare, and by the time the next semester was around I was ready to go, but I still didn't finish the last exam.

- I am wondering how much of a red flag this is.
I can still take the exam (I have an Incomplete until I take the final exam because of the extenuating circumstance) and finish the course, but I will have finished after the date to graduation, which puts me in graduation for the Fall instead of Summer.

I just feel like trash because it's another thing I'm going to have to explain, but I am wondering how much this (realistically) will limit my opportunities, if at all, or diminish my chances at prospective schools. The point of an SMP is to handle the rigor in a year. I did that, but because of 1 exam it looks like I took a year and a half.

If I do well on this exam, I will finish my SMP with a 4.0 GPA, or if I get a B I will have a 3.94. I did well and studied my butt off for everything but I hope I'm not dinged too severely.

- My other question is, given I attended from 2021-2022, if there are negative connotations associated with doing an online program. My memory is hazy but I feel like during 2021 COVID was still a big concern, so I did an online, which I know is traditionally frowned down upon.

Thank you to the community here.
I think it will be okay, go ahead and plan for your retake with the schools's administrators and thank them for giving you the chance to finish it up (even if you are feeling stressed & worried). There are other SMPs that are online so I don't see this as a factor. This particular SMP is carrying on with its online cohort this year as well.

Reactions: 1 user
I think it will be okay, go ahead and plan for your retake with the schools's administrators and thank them for giving you the chance to finish it up (even if you are feeling stressed & worried). There are other SMPs that are online so I don't see this as a factor. This particular SMP is carrying on with its online cohort this year as well.
Thank you for your response! The school administrators were very gracious. I only asked the second question because Goro said that medical schools are beginning to prefer in-person classes at SMPs from now on, and I will be applying next cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your response! The school administrators were very gracious. I only asked the second question because Goro said that medical schools are beginning to prefer in-person classes at SMPs from now on, and I will be applying next cycle.
You'll be OK. I'm hearing that there are quite a few special masters programs that are maintaining their online presence, even after covid

You'll be OK. I'm hearing that there are quite a few special masters programs that are maintaining their online presence, even after covid
Do you mean I'll be OK from the perspective of the delayed graduation or that online SMP is not a big deal? just trying to clarify.

Thanks for the help Goro!

Do you mean I'll be OK from the perspective of the delayed graduation
Do you plan on applying this year? If so, then yes, t will affect apps to MD schools. You have more time for DO schools (of which you have to have on your list as a reinventor anyways).
or that online SMP is not a big deal? just trying to clarify.
This will be school dependent, but I suspect not a big deal for the time being.

Do you plan on applying this year? If so, then yes, t will affect apps to MD schools. You have more time for DO schools (of which you have to have on your list as a reinventor anyways).

This will be school dependent, but I suspect not a big deal for the time being.
Sorry for the lack of detail. I will be applying next cycle. Not this one. Given this information, would this still affect apps for MD schools?