Advice for undergrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futurevet_11

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm joining a pre-vet program next year, and i was curious if any of you have any advice on how to get the most out of my undergrad experience, things I should do, classes to take, and best advice to get into/prepare for veterinary school.
Thanks so much.

Also, i once heard that if you don't have a 3.7 or above, you shouldnt even bother applying, so if i do get a c or b, or have anything below a 3.7 do i still have a chance?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What do: Have fun. Manage stress. Do well. Enjoy life. Join clubs for things you enjoy, don't have tunnel vision for vet school.
Classes: anything anatomy/physiology I hear is helpful.
Advice: Do well in your pre-reqs. Get them experience hours, and diversify! Spend time with a small animal vet, large animal, exotics, research, anything that's different. Adcoms like different.
I repeat, have fun! Your undergrad should be as fun-filled and enjoyable as possible. Don't stress too much over that one C in Orgo, or worse, a B in anything. Don't push yourself too hard, try new things. You'll be glad you did.

As far as clubs go, the best advice I had as an undergrad was to limit myself to three clubs. One related to my major, one to help me network, and one that I could have fun in. I joined the pre-vet club, Western equestrian team, and an usher club where I worked concerts. I also co-founded a League of Legends club.

Reactions: 1 user
What do: Have fun. Manage stress. Do well. Enjoy life. Join clubs for things you enjoy, don't have tunnel vision for vet school.
Classes: anything anatomy/physiology I hear is helpful.
Advice: Do well in your pre-reqs. Get them experience hours, and diversify! Spend time with a small animal vet, large animal, exotics, research, anything that's different. Adcoms like different.
I repeat, have fun! Your undergrad should be as fun-filled and enjoyable as possible. Don't stress too much over that one C in Orgo, or worse, a B in anything. Don't push yourself too hard, try new things. You'll be glad you did.

As far as clubs go, the best advice I had as an undergrad was to limit myself to three clubs. One related to my major, one to help me network, and one that I could have fun in. I joined the pre-vet club, Western equestrian team, and an usher club where I worked concerts. I also co-founded a League of Legends club.
:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I wish I'd had the time to stick with it. I helped found and find the members, then the club merged with a senior gaming club and I kinda lost contact. Junior year kicked butt class-wise

I wish I'd had the time to stick with it. I helped found and find the members, then the club merged with a senior gaming club and I kinda lost contact. Junior year kicked butt class-wise
:thumbdown:

I am going to add some different advice:

-Find the cheapest way to get through undergrad. Not kidding. As cheap as possible. If you can do a full ride scholarship, do it. If you can work and do a community college and pay as you go, do it. As little debt as possible, no debt if you can.

-Don't just go "pre-vet". "Pre-vet" isn't a degree. It just isn't. It has no application outside of vet school and isn't something you can fall back on should vet school not work out or should you change your mind. Instead of focusing on being "pre-vet", find something you are interested in. Something that if you don't get into vet school you could use or apply to have a job after you leave undergrad. Get a major in art, engineering, communication, etc.. do something that you will be able to use should you change your mind during undergrad or vet school doesn't work out for whatever reason. You can major in Russian dance and still apply for vet school, so there is no reason to follow a "pre-vet" degree... if you are interested in science then do a bio, chem, or physics major but just know that many of those you will need at least a masters to work in those areas.

Reactions: 5 users
I am going to add some different advice:

-Find the cheapest way to get through undergrad. Not kidding. As cheap as possible. If you can do a full ride scholarship, do it. If you can work and do a community college and pay as you go, do it. As little debt as possible, no debt if you can.

-Don't just go "pre-vet". "Pre-vet" isn't a degree. It just isn't. It has no application outside of vet school and isn't something you can fall back on should vet school not work out or should you change your mind. Instead of focusing on being "pre-vet", find something you are interested in. Something that if you don't get into vet school you could use or apply to have a job after you leave undergrad. Get a major in art, engineering, communication, etc.. do something that you will be able to use should you change your mind during undergrad or vet school doesn't work out for whatever reason. You can major in Russian dance and still apply for vet school, so there is no reason to follow a "pre-vet" degree... if you are interested in science then do a bio, chem, or physics major but just know that many of those you will need at least a masters to work in those areas.
Ooooo yes, all of this. I graduated with a "pre-vet" degree, and I'm working like, three jobs, two of them in research. Don't do what I did. DON'T.

Gwen has excellent advice about having fun and making sure you have a life outside of school and pre-vet stuff. It's so important to have a balanced life, and it will help keep you from burning out early.

My advice on classes - take classes you enjoy, and take classes that will be useful towards whatever degree you're trying to get. It's a good idea to have a back up plan that you would be happy with if vet med doesn't work out.

I'm joining a pre-vet program next year, and i was curious if any of you have any advice on how to get the most out of my undergrad experience, things I should do, classes to take, and best advice to get into/prepare for veterinary school.
Thanks so much.

Also, i once heard that if you don't have a 3.7 or above, you shouldnt even bother applying, so if i do get a c or b, or have anything below a 3.7 do i still have a chance?
I suppose I should actually address the OP.....

A combo of what Gwen and DVMD said for the first part of your question. Enjoy life, but do well. I did well, but didn't enjoy life. I'm not suggesting you go out and party all the time (unless you want to), but don't say things like "Sorry, I have a test in a week and a half. I can't go for drinks, ever." That was me.

There are tons of us on here with lower GPAs. A lot with below a 3.0. The search function will help you track down some threads that have thoroughly discussed GPAs. Below a 3.7? You certainly have a chance. Who told you that you won't have a chance without a 3.7+?

Nah, not a ton. It's definitely harder to get in with a sub 3.0 GPA. You should really strive to stay above that as some schools will auto-reject those.

I struggled to get in with a 3.5, definitely have as high a GPA as you can. Don't kill yourself for a high GPA, but do well, it does make it easier.

Nah, not a ton. It's definitely harder to get in with a sub 3.0 GPA. You should really strive to stay above that as some schools will auto-reject those.
Well, I didn't say that there were a ton below 3.0. I said there were a ton with lower GPAs, referring to lower than a 3.7. You are definitely right that the higher you are, the better.

OP: The lower your GPA, the harder it will be. That's obvious. You'll need more experience, extracurriculars, etc. to make up for it. It seems that most schools auto-reject at 2.75. If you end up with a 3.6, don't fret.

Well, I didn't say that there were a ton below 3.0. I said there were a ton with lower GPAs, referring to lower than a 3.7. You are definitely right that the higher you are, the better.

OP: The lower your GPA, the harder it will be. That's obvious. You'll need more experience, extracurriculars, etc. to make up for it. It seems that most schools auto-reject at 2.75. If you end up with a 3.6, don't fret.
there aren't even a lot like you did say. There are some. And they struggle to bring their applications up in other areas.

Members don't see this ad :)

I think most schools auto-reject around a 3.0, to be honest. Those I have seen get in with below a 3.0, have had masters degrees with exceptional GPAs throughout the masters program.

there aren't even a lot like you did say. There are some. And they struggle to bring their applications up in other areas.
Well...to me there's a lot. Scrolling through the "What are my chances?" thread gave me enough instances to consider it a lot. And yeah, they have to be crazy high in hours.
I think most schools auto-reject around a 3.0, to be honest. Those I have seen get in with below a 3.0, have had masters degrees with exceptional GPAs throughout the masters program.
I'm just going by the most frequent number I saw when school searching last year, which seemed to be 2.75 as a minimum GPA. They might have 2.75 be the outright lowest GPA you can have, but certainly might make 3.0 the cutoff once they get a look at applicants. As always, depends on the school.

Actually just did a quick look at Illinois: "Illinois accepts applications from students who have a minimum of a 2.75 cumulative and science GPA in their undergraduate studies. We generally have more than 500 applicants with a grade point average of a 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) or higher, so it is unlikely that someone with less than a 3.0 will receive serious consideration." So there you go lol.

OP-It'd likely depend on the school's admissions process as to whether or not they'd be willing to keep a low GPA with high experience in the pool. Most do automatic GPA cuts right off the bat.

Well...to me there's a lot. Scrolling through the "What are my chances?" thread gave me enough instances to consider it a lot. And yeah, they have to be crazy high in hours.

I'm just going by the most frequent number I saw when school searching last year, which seemed to be 2.75 as a minimum GPA. They might have 2.75 be the outright lowest GPA you can have, but certainly might make 3.0 the cutoff once they get a look at applicants. As always, depends on the school.

Actually just did a quick look at Illinois: "Illinois accepts applications from students who have a minimum of a 2.75 cumulative and science GPA in their undergraduate studies. We generally have more than 500 applicants with a grade point average of a 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) or higher, so it is unlikely that someone with less than a 3.0 will receive serious consideration." So there you go lol.

OP-It'd likely depend on the school's admissions process as to whether or not they'd be willing to keep a low GPA with high experience in the pool. Most do automatic GPA cuts right off the bat.

Yup, requirement to apply is 2.75 at most schools, but that doesn't equal the GPA cut-off.. heck CSU tells people flat out that if you have less than a 3.2 they will give your application a glance first and you might get put back in for review but might be rejected right off...

But I don't think there are a lot getting in to vet school with a below 3.0 GPA. Remember SDN is a very small number of the total applicant pool out there.

Yup, requirement to apply is 2.75 at most schools, but that doesn't equal the GPA cut-off.. heck CSU tells people flat out that if you have less than a 3.2 they will give your application a glance first and you might get put back in for review but might be rejected right off...

But I don't think there are a lot getting in to vet school with a below 3.0 GPA. Remember SDN is a very small number of the total applicant pool out there.
And people posting in what are my chances tend to be those that are more concerned with their app for whatever reason.

I would think that the successful applicants threads would be a better indication of what to aim for than the what are my chances thread anyway, since most people posting there are looking for ways to improve their application before applying and may not repost their stats once those improvements have been made.

I would think that the successful applicants threads would be a better indication of what to aim for than the what are my chances thread anyway, since most people posting there are looking for ways to improve their application before applying and may not repost their stats once those improvements have been made.

Wow, I totally missed that she said what are my chances thread.... :rofl:

I am dying.... I just can't... hahahah

This thread that is about people applying, not getting accepted has a lot of below 3.0's so that must mean that a lot of accepted people have below a 3.0... :laugh:

Last edited:
Wow, I totally missed that she said what are my chances thread.... :rofl:

I am dying.... I just can't... hahahah

This thread that is about people applying, not getting accepted has a lot of below 3.0's so that must mean that a lot of accepted people have below a 3.0... :laugh:
Are you okay?

The whole point of me saying that there are low GPAs on this forum is because there are numerous other threads where the OP can go and see the suggestions, improvements made, etc. But I figured I'd leave the reaming out about "not using the search function" to you since you do it so well. The OP could then go see what everyone else has said a million times to low GPA applicants.

Either way, it sounds like the applicant doesn't even have a GPA yet. My other piece of advice is to stop worrying.

Thanks so much.

Get vet experience, try to get involved with research and get to know a few of your professors really well. But also make sure you have fun (go out with friends, actually make new friends, join at least 1 club just for the sake of having fun). As far as "pre-vet" goes, I wound up majoring in pre-vet but after my junior year, I scrambled to tack on a double major/extra minor because I realized career options for "pre-vet" outside of vet school are fairly limited; put some serious thought in before choosing that major. Also, obviously get veterinary experience but also if you find anything else interesting try to get some exposure to other fields even if its just a few days shadowing/observing/volunteering. That way if you decide you vet school isn't for you, you're not left with nothing. You may find you LOVE research, or you may take a course in something that you find super interesting. Basically just don't have pre-vet blinders on the whole time, expose yourself to what else is out there. Find out what you hate, what you love, what you can tolerate so you have a solid back up plan and related experience.

I do plan on majoring in, most likely bio, I'll just be in a pre vet program to be sure to get the proper classes, and I'll most likely have a minor in history or something. Sorry for the confusion there. I do not plan to major as pre vet.

Reactions: 3 users
Are you okay?

The whole point of me saying that there are low GPAs on this forum is because there are numerous other threads where the OP can go and see the suggestions, improvements made, etc. But I figured I'd leave the reaming out about "not using the search function" to you since you do it so well. The OP could then go see what everyone else has said a million times to low GPA applicants.

Either way, it sounds like the applicant doesn't even have a GPA yet. My other piece of advice is to stop worrying.

The OP clearly didn't have a GPA. A proper response to can I get in with below a 3.7 isn't, well look at all the people on here looking for advice with less than a 3.0... that does nothing to help the OP. Unless you have proof that all those below 3.0 people are being accepted because that was her question, can she get in with less than a 3.7.

The proper response is, why are you already assuming you won't do well and you will have a low GPA? That question needs to be asked. After that the proper answer is yes, people get in with less than a 3.7, but as your GPA decreases it gets significantly more difficult to get accepted. Telling someone oh we have tons of people asking about their sub-3.0 GPA, isn't good advice and doesn't even address the original question.

I'm going to ignore your search function snark because this has nothing to do with using the search function.

You two bicker like a married couple.

Reactions: 1 users
When the OP is literally asking what their chances would be with less than a 3.7, frankly, you can look at either thread. I picked the "what are my chances?" Thread because the OP could then see what advice is given to those with lower GPAs and go from there. I already recognized that the OP shouldn't even be worrying at this stage.

I don't know why you think anyone is trying to be right. I gave one option, you went with another. It's not that big of deal. I'm not the only poster getting tired of seeing your name pop up in their alerts, either. Last I checked, there is an ignore function. You are fully capable of using it, are you not?

When the OP is literally asking what their chances would be with less than a 3.7, frankly, you can look at either thread. I picked the "what are my chances?" Thread because the OP could then see what advice is given to those with lower GPAs and go from there. I already recognized that the OP shouldn't even be worrying at this stage.

I don't know why you think anyone is trying to be right. I gave one option, you went with another. It's not that big of deal. I'm not the only poster getting tired of seeing your name pop up in their alerts, either. Last I checked, there is an ignore function. You are fully capable of using it, are you not?

The fact that 2 different people corrected you to say no what you are stating isn't right should be indication enough that this isn't a difference of opinion. If you don't like that many of the veteran posters on here, not just myself, post to correct information for people after what you have stated, then ignore us. We aren't going to stop correcting bad or wrong info because you don't like it. It isn't anything against you, we just want proper and good advice provided to the posters, you just keep taking it personally and can't just ever accept what we say or the additional info we provide, you always have to argue you didn't say something or we read it wrong.

Sooo back to the OP. I am living proof that someone can get in with a less than 3.7 GPA. I was accepted to 3 schools with a 3.4. So, while GPA is important and I urge you to focus on your grades, it is possible. Mind you, I'm a second time applicant who went out and got numerous hours of experience in an emergency clinic before reapplying. At this point in your academic career, I'd really just stress getting as many unique experiences as you can to make your application stand out when the time comes.

I'll just echo what pretty much everyone else has already stated. Yes, you should try to keep your GPA as high as possible; it's the absolute hardest part of the application to change once established, and you'll find that, unfortunately, one really poor grade can destroy it readily, and it takes many good ones to bring it back up again. I learned this hard way, and while my science and last 45 GPAs are actually rather good, my cumulative never quite recovered from my bad first year (I was a Spanish major before switching to biology/pre-vet, had undiagnosed mental health issues, got some Ds... it's a long story).

That being said:

Don't go killing yourself for a 4.0. Seriously. I mean, obviously, the higher the GPA, the easier of a time you'll have come application time. But don't sacrifice your sanity for it. It sounds like you're very eager to get started on your pre-vet journey, and that's awesome, but I want to reiterate what everyone said about having fun, too. Most people will only get one good shot at undergrad - don't spend it locked away in your room studying all day and night. I did that, and I regret it now, not only because it didn't make enough of a difference on my academic performance to justify it, but also because I missed out on a lot of stuff. I never go drinking. I really don't go out to eat or hang with friends much. I was (and am) basically always working. Don't do it this way. You're likely to burn out rather quickly, and, well... if you're burning out that badly during undergrad, just imagine how burnt out you'll be during vet school! But, yes, people do get into vet school with GPAs <3.7. Heck, if that weren't the case, I'd be screwed. The "unofficial" academic cutoff at most schools ranges from 3.0-3.4, generally, even if the website claims that they'll take GPAs as low as 2.5 or 2.75. But I absolutely do not advocate winding up that low; very few people manage to get admitted with sub-3.0 GPAs - it takes a LOT of experience and a LOT of gumption to overcome that - and it's not worth the gamble. So if you want to be in a good spot, stay north of 3.0. If you want to be really competitive, 3.5+ is pretty ideal given that the rest of your application is strong.

The good news is that you don't have a GPA yet, so once you start, you'll have a completely blank slate - make the most of it!

I would say to definitely start getting some solid veterinary experience now! You'll have less stress come later when you're starting to apply, and you'll hopefully have a decent amount of both depth and variety to fall back on, both of which are valued highly by a lot of schools. Generally, at least several hundred hours is sufficient, but I would personally am for 1000+ if possible.

Good luck and, most importantly, do remember to enjoy yourself.

EDIT: Oh, and if you can, take the steps to minimize your debt now. Vet school alone may very well leave you knee-deep in $100,000+ in loans; you'll want to avoid having undergrad debt on top of that if at all possible. Go to the cheapest school you're accepted to, work during school if need be, take full advantage of any scholarships/grants... basically everything @DVMDream said. You will thank yourself later.

Last edited by a moderator:
tumblr_mk2sgcTUTE1s2whrio1_500.gif

Reactions: 3 users
I know I can maintain a GPA above a 3.0, I see myself around a 3.5 most likely, especially with the transition from high school (where I do have a 4.0, but it's only high school and much easier) to the college level. Thanks for all your advice. I never was concerned with a sub 3.0 gpa. Sorry for that slight confusion.

I know I can maintain a GPA above a 3.0, I see myself around a 3.5 most likely, especially with the transition from high school (where I do have a 4.0, but it's only high school and much easier) to the college level. Thanks for all your advice. I never was concerned with a sub 3.0 gpa. Sorry for that slight confusion.

Don't see yourself at anything. Do the best you can. Have an attitude that you'll do well instead of, well I think I'll make a 3.5. Don't sell yourself short. Many people do get higher than a 3.5 GPA and everyone transitions from high school to college. Obviously don't panic if you get one C, or a B or two, but there is no reason to go into college with an attitude of seeing yourself at a specific GPA.

Thanks so much.

I didn't read any other replies...so sorry if this is repetitive but...I got in with a 3.5, but i have over 4,000 hrs of experience. So, no...it's not all about grades...however it would've been a hell of a lot easier to get in with a 3.8!! This was my second year applying, got rejected to 6 schools but accepted to 1. So it's not all about grades. But grades will get you noticed/get your foot in the door/make the first cut/get you an interview. So set your mind to it, know that an A is worth it, and A over an A- is worth pushing for, study that extra bit. Ask for help, go to free tutoring....do the best you can. Because grades are extremely important. They aren't everything but they are a bigggggg chunk. Plus I doubt you'll ever think "ugh I wish i wouldn't have tried so hard and gotten a 3.9, a 3.5 would've been easier" no. You'll have more opportunities with a 3.9.

Keep in mind it's important/required to get experience as well. Schedule the time for that. Even if its 4 hours a week. Even if it's only in the summer.

Hope that helps!

Everyone will ballpark things a bit different GPA-wise, and that includes each school where they have somewhat different criteria. But as a super general rule, I would say that at 3.7+ you don't need to think about your GPA. At 3.5-3.7 I wouldn't be terribly concerned. At 3.2-3.5 you're going to want to make sure you have a really solid application in other ways to balance out because now you're modestly below average at most schools. Below 3.2 you're going to need to have something very compelling in your application to make up for it.

I agree with DVMD: You have to walk a fine line - don't set your sights on 3.5 and potentially sell yourself short. You want the very best GPA you can get, and it is a very important part of the application. At the same time, don't beat yourself up for the occasional B or even C. Do your best and let the chips fall where they will.

Where most undergrads get into trouble in my experience (and... sigh... I have a LOT of undergrad experience, unfortunately) is having a really amazingly skewed perception on how hard they're working. They 'think' they're working super hard, and they'll happily tell you how they put in 5 million hours last week studying .... but it's super exaggerated and/or super inefficient studying. Sitting on the couch with your notes in your lap watching a movie and never progressing past page 1 of your notes isn't studying, no matter how much you want it to be. Someone asked me to study with her for parasitology in vet school once. Class wrapped up for the day. Exam was tomorrow. She couldn't start right away because she had to exercise her horse, so we met at 7pm. When I got there, she said "geez, I haven't had time to eat, can we run out and grab some food?" That turned into a 2-hr road trip for food. Now it's 9pm. Then she wanted to gab about life and relationships and all sorts of other nonsense. Now it's 10pm and we really haven't even begun to study for the exam the next day. (Never studied with her again.) But if you were to ask her - she's putting in tons of hours, working her butt off, and she doesn't understand why she's struggling. Really?

So my advice is: Budget your time to study and then actually use that time for TRUE studying. Then play hard the rest of the time.

Regarding what major/etc.... Do something interesting. The cheapest route is a major that encompasses all the pre-vet requirements, so that probably makes sense. A bio degree. An animal sciences degree. A chemistry degree with some bio tacked on. That sort of thing. That said, any degree can work. I was a theology major.

Once you get yourself settled into the undergrad swing of things and are comfortable, make sure you start doing non-academic activities. Clubs. Community service. Anything that you can say "leadership" with. The more of that you do, the more vet schools will love you.

I would not put much stock in Pinkpuppy's comment about a "lot" of people getting in with sub-3.0 GPAs. VERY FEW people get in with sub-3.0 GPAs. 3.5 and up is the way to go. Pinkpuppy's comment was highly misleading.

Last edited:
Sitting on the couch with your notes in your lap watching a movie and never progressing past page 1 of your notes isn't studying, no matter how much you want it to be.
Uh oh. Are you saying I'm doing it wrong? :eek:

Serious answer: LIS is right. It's amazing how much more time you can find when you use good efficient study methods.
Don't set your expectations too low, though. Yes, college will be harder than high school, but some people find that their GPA really doesn't drop much. You might surprise yourself and get well above a 3.5. :) On the other hand, it's good that you're aware it will be a transition so you'll be prepared to adjust study habits and stuff.

Thanks so much.

i had a D, several Cs, and well below a 3.7 and i will be a dvm in 4 short months ;)

i agree that it is very uncommon for people to get in with lower GPAs hover just above or below 3.0. not without significant pluses in other categories (graduate degrees, graduate or post-bacc courses to boost, exceptional experience, etc).

also, go to college and do the best you can. dont set a number goal, it will just upset you one way or another. i know you've done exceptionally well in HS, but i also wouldnt assume that will translate to success in college (just as college doesnt predict success in vet school). you will have a big adjustment to make. dont overload yourself your first semester. you are going to have a new lifestyle, new friends, a new place to call home, and completely different coursework from what you're used to. once upon a time, a HS student came on here asking for advice about how many credits to take. i told this person to start normal and not overload (because you think you have to look incredible every single semester). everyone else said push yourself or take as much as you think you can handle. this person did poorly on an overloaded schedule for a few semesters, and then ended up not wanting to go to vet school. so take it easy, have some fun! learn about yourself :) thats why people go to college :)

Last edited:
Everyone will ballpark things a bit different GPA-wise, and that includes each school where they have somewhat different criteria. But as a super general rule, I would say that at 3.7+ you don't need to think about your GPA. At 3.5-3.7 I wouldn't be terribly concerned. At 3.2-3.5 you're going to want to make sure you have a really solid application in other ways to balance out because now you're modestly below average at most schools. Below 3.2 you're going to need to have something very compelling in your application to make up for it.

I agree with DVMD: You have to walk a fine line - don't set your sights on 3.5 and potentially sell yourself short. You want the very best GPA you can get, and it is a very important part of the application. At the same time, don't beat yourself up for the occasional B or even C. Do your best and let the chips fall where they will.

Where most undergrads get into trouble in my experience (and... sigh... I have a LOT of undergrad experience, unfortunately) is having a really amazingly skewed perception on how hard they're working. They 'think' they're working super hard, and they'll happily tell you how they put in 5 million hours last week studying .... but it's super exaggerated and/or super inefficient studying. Sitting on the couch with your notes in your lap watching a movie and never progressing past page 1 of your notes isn't studying, no matter how much you want it to be. Someone asked me to study with her for parasitology in vet school once. Class wrapped up for the day. Exam was tomorrow. She couldn't start right away because she had to exercise her horse, so we met at 7pm. When I got there, she said "geez, I haven't had time to eat, can we run out and grab some food?" That turned into a 2-hr road trip for food. Now it's 9pm. Then she wanted to gab about life and relationships and all sorts of other nonsense. Now it's 10pm and we really haven't even begun to study for the exam the next day. (Never studied with her again.) But if you were to ask her - she's putting in tons of hours, working her butt off, and she doesn't understand why she's struggling. Really?

So my advice is: Budget your time to study and then actually use that time for TRUE studying. Then play hard the rest of the time.

Regarding what major/etc.... Do something interesting. The cheapest route is a major that encompasses all the pre-vet requirements, so that probably makes sense. A bio degree. An animal sciences degree. A chemistry degree with some bio tacked on. That sort of thing. That said, any degree can work. I was a theology major.

Once you get yourself settled into the undergrad swing of things and are comfortable, make sure you start doing non-academic activities. Clubs. Community service. Anything that you can say "leadership" with. The more of that you do, the more vet schools will love you.

I would not put much stock in Pinkpuppy's comment about a "lot" of people getting in with sub-3.0 GPAs. VERY FEW people get in with sub-3.0 GPAs. 3.5 and up is the way to go. Pinkpuppy's comment was highly misleading.
You're right, he shouldn't listen to something that was never said. Did you even read my post?

"There are tons of us on here with lower GPAs. A lot with below a 3.0." Never did I say that there are a lot of sub-3.0's getting accepted. I was trying to point the OP in a direction where he/she could look and see the advice already given to people with GPAs below a 3.7 (hence me suggesting the "What are my chances?" thread). And would then find out for himself/herself that the lower the GPA is, the more experience/better letters/etc. you'd need.

"There are tons of us on here with lower GPAs. A lot with below a 3.0."

Your comment was, as I said, highly misleading because of the implied assertion that people can commonly (i.e. "a lot") get in with below a 3.0 GPA. It's a misrepresentation. I stand by that assessment.

tumblr_inline_mteaoxSJRK1r80p9c.gif

The Compass's comment was, as I said, highly misleading because of the implied assertion that people can commonly get in with below a 3.0 GPA. It's a misrepresentation. I stand by that assessment.

tumblr_inline_mteaoxSJRK1r80p9c.gif
Please spell out to me how letting the OP know there are posters with low GPAs means they all got in.

Please spell out to me how letting the OP know there are posters with low GPAs means they all got in.

If you genuinely do not understand how your comment was misleading to someone who is asking about preparation for vet school admissions, then there is little to no chance I can help you understand. So I am not going to waste my time. Your comment was misleading. It's been clarified for the OP. That's all that matters. You would do well to just say "oh, yeah, I can see how that could be confusing...." and move on.

just curious, what experiences would stand out as unique? I have some things in mind but I'm unsure if there just things I think are uncommon or if they truly are unique.

thanks

just curious, what experiences would stand out as unique? I have some things in mind but I'm unsure if there just things I think are uncommon or if they truly are unique.

thanks
In my opinion, working at a general practice small animal clinic seems to be the norm. I'm currently shadowing an equine chiropractor. I've known people who've worked with zoo vets, specialties, etc. Others who did leadership work in their sororities or fraternities, community volunteering.

I was given an opportunity to volunteer in a wildlife rehabilitation center in Africa (that has a main veterinarian on site). I'm not sure how much I'd actually be able to work with the DVM, but I'm assuming that unique? :p

I was given an opportunity to volunteer in a wildlife rehabilitation center in Africa (that has a main veterinarian on site). I'm not sure how much I'd actually be able to work with the DVM, but I'm assuming that unique? :p

Depends on what you make of it. Honestly, if you go haul boxes around for a month in Africa, big deal. If you go work at a soup kitchen weekly for three years, start early to set up, don't take a break during, and stay late to clean up .... that's much less exotic but says way more about you.

"Unique" is definitely good. But taking <any> opportunity and running with it is more important.

I had a few friends who did that! They really enjoyed it and got a lot of hands on experience with lots of different species.

I had a few friends who did that! They really enjoyed it and got a lot of hands on experience with lots of different species.

just curious, do you know what program they did it through?