Advice Needed on Postbacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leonardn17

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I graduated from an Ivy in Dec 2015 with a 3.77 in finance, which seems a little low on the GPA scale for med school. I have been backpacking since Dec 2015, so dont have too much experience. I took a few science and math courses while in collegee, with GPA for those in the mid 3.8 range. Now I am contemplating going to med school, but obviously need to do the prereqs as well as volunteer and shadow which I haven't done. Now is a little late to apply to the formal postbaccs, but Harvard Extension School is still open for admission. Do you think this would be a good route, and assuming I did well, would I have a reasonable shot of admission? Or should I try for a formal postbacc and wait? Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

personally, i would reflect on your motivations for a career in medicine before pursuing expensive programs. you're obviously a strong academic student, so you're biggest challenge will be convincing admissions members that you're passionate about this decision. the backpacking for 2 years and then suddenly wanting to go into medicine is questionable, considering you have no clinical experience. keep in mind, most applicants are applying with years and years of medical-related work, volunteering, and research/extracurricular activities that support their interest in the field. not all but a good amount

Reactions: 1 user