Advice needed please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futdoc251989

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's my story. I applied to the following schools this cycle: Nova, LECOM (Bradenton and Erie), PCOM (Philly and Georgia), CCOM, and Rowan. I was complete in late Oct/early Nov and applied with the following stats:

cgpa: 3.08 (3.02 undergrad, 3.5 grad in Masters in Biomedical Sciences)
sgpa: 2.89
MCAT: 30 (12 PS, 10 BS, 8 VR)
Shadowed 2 DOs and received LORs from both.
Experience in healthcare as a CNA

So far, I've been rejected by CCOM, LECOM Bradenton, and Nova (no interview). So now, I'm looking for some much needed advice. Other than just waiting until next year to reapply, what, if anything, can I do to improve my application? Did I make the mistake of applying to schools that were out of my reach? Would Nova's or LECOM's "linkage" SMP be worth applying to?

Members don't see this ad.

Your sGPA is low(imo). Perhaps you were auto screened out from consideration. I wouldn't reapply until you got your sGPA up to >3.0+. And that shouldn't be too hard with the DO grade replacements.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your sGPA is low(imo). Perhaps you were auto screened out from consideration. I wouldn't reapply until you got your sGPA up to >3.0+. And that shouldn't be too hard with the DO grade replacements.
Do you think I have a decent chance of getting into Nova's MBS program or LECOM's M.S. in Biomedical Sciences program?

I'm surprised that you didn't get more move with that MS GPA. Suggest contacting the four schools and seeing what feedback they can offer on your rejections.

And yes, retake any F/D/C science coursework.

Here's my story. I applied to the following schools this cycle: Nova, LECOM (Bradenton and Erie), PCOM (Philly and Georgia), CCOM, and Rowan. I was complete in late Oct/early Nov and applied with the following stats:

cgpa: 3.08 (3.02 undergrad, 3.5 grad in Masters in Biomedical Sciences)
sgpa: 2.89
MCAT: 30 (12 PS, 10 BS, 8 VR)
Shadowed 2 DOs and received LORs from both.
Experience in healthcare as a CNA

So far, I've been rejected by CCOM, LECOM Bradenton, and Nova (no interview). So now, I'm looking for some much needed advice. Other than just waiting until next year to reapply, what, if anything, can I do to improve my application? Did I make the mistake of applying to schools that were out of my reach? Would Nova's or LECOM's "linkage" SMP be worth applying to?

Do you think I have a decent chance of getting into Nova's MBS program or LECOM's M.S. in Biomedical Sciences program?

I have no idea about Nova's program but you already have a grad degree. Why do another one? Do what Goro said and contact the schools and see if they'll tell you why you were refused even with ok grad stats!

I don't have any Ds or Fs. Just a bunch of Cs in my undergrad in upper division biology courses like animal behavior, physiology, cell bio, principles of human genetics, biology and society, and a some others that I can't think of off the top of my head. Since they're upper division and very specific to my biology major, it's going to be difficult to find any of these courses at community colleges, which is why I'm considering another SMP, except this time at a school with a linkage to a DO school (like Nova and LECOM). I'm in my final semester at Barry right now. (Masters in BMS).

I'm surprised that you didn't get more move with that MS GPA. Suggest contacting the four schools and seeing what feedback they can offer on your rejections.

And yes, retake any F/D/C science coursework.

I'm just as surprised as you are. My Lizzy M score is 60.8 and the average for DO schools is 62 I think. So I didn't think that my stats were that bad, but apparently I was wrong.

The only thing I can think of is that the <3.0 sGPA is putting you into the autoreject bin. I think that you need to finish strong (As >> Bs) and if you can get the sGPA >3.0, you might have better luck next year. It's possible that you applied a year too early, and that one good semester wasn't enough to allay doubts. Did you have a sinking trend in your UG years? If so, a year's worth of good performance in the MS program might salvage you next year. Also, if possible, apply more broadly next year. As CCOM's avg cGPA is 3.6, I'd omit them. Try more of the SE schools (except LUCOM).

I'm just as surprised as you are. My Lizzy M score is 60.8 and the average for DO schools is 62 I think. So I didn't think that my stats were that bad, but apparently I was wrong.

The only thing I can think of is that the <3.0 sGPA is putting you into the autoreject bin. I think that you need to finish strong (As >> Bs) and if you can get the sGPA >3.0, you might have better luck next year. It's possible that you applied a year too early, and that one good semester wasn't enough to allay doubts. Did you have a sinking trend in your UG years? If so, a year's worth of good performance in the MS program might salvage you next year. Also, if possible, apply more broadly next year. As CCOM's avg cGPA is 3.6, I'd omit them. Try more of the SE schools (except LUCOM).

I already completed 2 semesters of Barry's program when I applied. I'm in my 4th semester (I did the 2 year track).

Now, you didn't have a falling trend there, did you?
No. I had 1 C and 1 B. The rest are As. I've finished 29 credits and have 7 more to go, which I'm taking this semester. When I applied, my Gpa was 3.5, but is now at 3.45 due to the B I got last semester.

Personally, I'd like to see the GPA higher, and no C's, but I think that if you apply more broadly, you should some love.

No. I had 1 C and 1 B. The rest are As. I've finished 29 credits and have 7 more to go, which I'm taking this semester. When I applied, my Gpa was 3.5, but is now at 3.45 due to the B I got last semester.