WAMC/List Unbalanced 514* | 3.78 sGPA; 3.81 cGPA | Top heavy; need reduction advice please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

udubber

Reaction score
Stats
3.78 sGPA 3.81 cGPA; upward trend (3.4s/3.6c first year)
514; 130/126/126*/132 (CP/CARS/BB/PS)
WARS: ~70; LizzyM: 71.1
Demographics
California; Underserved county​
Middle eastern​
#1 school in Washington​
Clinical
COVID Tester; 100 hrs​
ED Scribe; 150 hrs​
Gap year Volunteer Shadow/Scribe; 36 hrs Cardiology (projected: 200 by Dec, 2022; 500 by matriculation)
Research
Clinical Research; 350 hrs | 1st author abstract, conference presentation canceled due to COVID​
Gap year Clinical Research; 200 hrs (projected: 900 by Dec, 2022; 2,000 by matriculation | a couple publications, 1st author as well)
Undergraduate Research; 2000 hrs | middle author publication, university research scholarship, presented at every year possible with my university​
Other
Study abroad in Spanish-speaking country​
Vice President/Co-Founder of Club; 200 hrs (geared toward supporting underserved populations in India)​
Tutor for disadvantaged students; 150 hrs​
Personal and Group Tutor for Fraternity as Academic Chair**; 300 hrs​
Honors
Biochemistry dept. scholarship​
Bioethics dept. scholarship (minor)
Seal of biliteracy (Spanish; from high school)
Miscellaneous
Low-income background, received FAP/Pell Grant, severe family disadvantages involving mental health, mental health shortage region​
*"Fluke" BB score, but did not feel I should retake. I am a Biochemistry and Neuroscience double major and performed well in these courses, will my 126 be a red flag?​
**Is it looked down upon that I put a fraternity?​
- I received a hold from Drexel (the only decision I've heard of) and this made me question my approach, current school list, and clinical/volunteer experience
- Strong LoRs: 2 Science, 1 Humanity, 1 Company Clinical Research​
Current List:
NYU
Johns Hopkins
Pennsylvania
WashU
Yale
Columbia
Vanderbilt
Harvard
Cornell
Northwestern
Virginia
Michigan
Chicago
Boston
Mount Sinai
Duke
Mayo
Stanford
Kaiser
UNC
Brown
Massachusetts
Dartmouth
Western Michigan
Emory
UCSF
USC
Albert Einstein
Colorado
Jefferson
Nebraska
Pittsburgh
UC San Diego
UC Irvine
Tufts
CA Science
Rosalind Franklin
Vermont
Georgetown
Drexel
George Washington
OHSU
Kansas
UCLA
Maryland
Wisconsin
UC Davis
UC Riverside
University of Washington (submitted mission statement)
Minnesota
Any guidance on which schools to add/remove and focus would be greatly appreciated! Definitely need to cut this list because full-time work + apps is burning me out :O

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your MCAT is not the weakness in you application. It is the lack of non clinical volunteering and low clinical exposure hours when you submitted your application. The list of schools you applied to is also very top heavy for an applicant with your ECs and a MCAT of 514. You alos have several state public schools that admit few applicants with your stats and no connection to the state.
I suggest these schools from your list:
Kaiser
Western Michigan
Albert Einstein
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
UC Irvine
Tufts
CA Science
Rosalind Franklin
Vermont
Drexel
George Washington
UC Davis
UC Riverside (only if you are from that region)
University of Washington (submitted mission statement)(only if this is your undergraduate school)
You could add these schools:
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Temple
Penn State
Hackensack
New York Medical College
Albany
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
TCU-UNT

Reactions: 1 users
Your MCAT is not the weakness in you application. It is the lack of non clinical volunteering and low clinical exposure hours when you submitted your application. The list of schools you applied to is also very top heavy for an applicant with your ECs and a MCAT of 514. You alos have several state public schools that admit few applicants with your stats and no connection to the state.
I suggest these schools from your list:
Kaiser
Western Michigan
Albert Einstein
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
UC Irvine
Tufts
CA Science
Rosalind Franklin
Vermont
Drexel
George Washington
UC Davis
UC Riverside (only if you are from that region)
University of Washington (submitted mission statement)(only if this is your undergraduate school)
You could add these schools:
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Temple
Penn State
Hackensack
New York Medical College
Albany
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
TCU-UNT
Thank you, I was afraid of that but hoped my gap year and COVID could spare me. If I would rather not attend your suggestions, would applying next year as a reapplicant be a bad idea after I have cemented clinical exposure and volunteering from this year? Or should I not approach it that way and just suck it up for the 4 years / is this more of a personal preference?

Also, is the reasoning behind removing Davis and Irvine, but not schools like LA because those two heavily favor volunteer and clinical?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you, I was afraid of that but hoped my gap year and COVID could spare me. If I would rather not attend your suggestions, would applying next year as a reapplicant be a bad idea after I have cemented clinical exposure and volunteering from this year? Or should I not approach it that way and just suck it up for the 4 years / is this more of a personal preference?

Also, is the reasoning behind removing Davis and Irvine, but not schools like LA because those two heavily favor volunteer and clinical?
I included Davis and Irvine. The schools I listed are the ones you should apply to (the ones not included are the ones that should be removed). You should focus into getting into a medical school, not some ideal school or location where you would like to attend. Applying as a reapplicant is not an issue but you need to accumulate more clinical and non clinical volunteering hours in the coming year.

Reactions: 2 users
I included Davis and Irvine. The schools I listed are the ones you should apply to (the ones not included are the ones that should be removed). You should focus into getting into a medical school, not some ideal school or location where you would like to attend. Applying as a reapplicant is not an issue but you need to accumulate more clinical and non clinical volunteering hours in the coming year.
Ah I see, that makes a lot more sense. I appreciate the advice!