Advice on determining if a school is OOS friendly

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LiteralLungs

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel like I need to revise my school list. Can anyone explain to me the best way to determine whether a school is friendly to OOS applicants? I've seen different methods recommended around here.

One method was to take the total number of OOS IIs / total OOS applicants >15%?

Or maybe OOS interviews / total interviews?

Another method was to look at OOS matriculants / total matriculants >15% or 20%?

Members don't see this ad.

MSAR --> OOS matriculants / total matrivulants

Be careful with this strategy. If the institution supports regional preference to surrounding states (University of Washington, University of North Dakota, University of Missouri-Kansas City, etc), the OOS numbers on MSAR will look inflated. These schools generally have very low out-of-region acceptance rates. UW is 0.3% OOR (Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana, Idaho) but their MSAR data would suggest 48% OOS acceptance.

I feel like I need to revise my school list. Can anyone explain to me the best way to determine whether a school is friendly to OOS applicants? I've seen different methods recommended around here.

One method was to take the total number of OOS IIs / total OOS applicants >15%?

Or maybe OOS interviews / total interviews?

Another method was to look at OOS matriculants / total matriculants >15% or 20%?

I would post in the WAMC thread and follow their template.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Be careful with this strategy. If the institution supports regional preference to surrounding states (University of Washington, University of North Dakota, University of Missouri-Kansas City, etc), the OOS numbers on MSAR will look inflated. These schools generally have very low out-of-region acceptance rates. UW is 0.3% OOR (Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana, Idaho) but their MSAR data would suggest 48% OOS acceptance.

Thanks. Would you say a good percentage to look for is over 20%?

Thanks. Would you say a good percentage to look for is over 20%?

I think it would depend on class size. I wouldn't know best, I'm not an adcom. I suggest posting in the WAMC thread for help with a school list.

This thread is from 3 years ago, but it was a good resource for me when I wanted to add some more schools. Definitely do a WAMC thread too though.

Reactions: 2 users
This thread is from 3 years ago, but it was a good resource for me when I wanted to add some more schools. Definitely do a WAMC thread too though.

dang, I wish I had seen this when I made my school list!

I think MSAR is good but you have to watch out for schools like UWash. I was naively considering applying there because it's a lower stat decently ranked school but Faha informed me that they prefer WWAMI residents. Wash, Wyom, Alaska, Montana, Idaho.

Other public schools with moderate OOS would probably prefer you to have higher stats as well.

True, but there aren't that many schools that are in the U WA class of going regional.

Lungs, you had it pretty much right; it's interviewees/accepts (which is about 2x that of seats) or matriculants that I look to see if a school is OOS friendly.

Also, private schools nearly all are OK with OOS applicants, On paper it may look like they have a IS bias, but that's because states like NY, IL, PA and CA have such high numbers of talented applicants. MCG, Va Tech, Geisinger and Mercer are the schools that I normally do not recommend to OOSers.

WVU on there is misleading though? It says that it is extremely out of state friendly, but on MSAR, I noticed that they look for people who have strong ties to WV.

True, but there aren't that many schools that are in the U WA class of going regional.

Lungs, you had it pretty much right; it's interviewees/accepts (which is about 2x that of seats) or matriculants that I look to see if a school is OOS friendly.

Also, private schools nearly all are OK with OOS applicants, On paper it may look like they have a IS bias, but that's because states like NY, IL, PA and CA have such high numbers of talented applicants. MCG, Va Tech, Geisinger and Mercer are the schools that I normally do not recommend to OOSers.

Geisinger Commonwealth? I just pre-wrote the secondary and was going to apply there. I'm from a nearby state.

So by your method for Geisinger Commonwealth:

Do you mean matriculants/interviewees? So = 25%

And OOS acceptees/total acceptees = 33%

What do those percentages mean in terms of OOS friendliness? I thought >20% was good

Geisinger Commonwealth? I just pre-wrote the secondary and was going to apply there. I'm from a nearby state.

So by your method for Geisinger Commonwealth:

Do you mean matriculants/interviewees? So = 25%

And OOS acceptees/total acceptees = 33%

What do those percentages mean in terms of OOS friendliness? I thought >20% was good
Geisinger has a preference for people from the Scranton area.

Wouldn't that be part of the in state figure though?
Yes, and it shows in the IS vs OOS ratios of people who interview and matriculate. If you're from PA, the odds are ~50% you get an II. OOS? 7.5% The odds of these people getting seated? Only 20% of the OOS interview pool for 33 seats.

Thus, the odds of someone from OOS getting a accepted is 1.4%. IS? ~18%

Hence, I can't recommend for you to apply there if you re not from eastern PA or went to college in that region.

Yes, and it shows in the IS vs OOS ratios of people who interview and matriculate. If you're from PA, the odds are ~50% you get an II. OOS? 7.5% The odds of these people getting seated? Only 20% of the OOS interview pool for 33 seats.

Thus, the odds of someone from OOS getting a accepted is 1.4%. IS? ~18%

Hence, I can't recommend for you to apply there if you re not from eastern PA or went to college in that region.

Thanks. What do you mean "Only 20% of the OOS interview pool for 33 seats."?

I calculated 9% of OOS interview pool ultimately matriculated. (33 OOS matriculants / 361 OOS interviewees)

And then how did you calculate the final odds?

You multiplied the odds of getting an II * the percent of the interview pool that ultimately matriculated?

Thanks. What do you mean "Only 20% of the OOS interview pool for 33 seats."?

I calculated 9% of OOS interview pool ultimately matriculated. (33 OOS matriculants / 361 OOS interviewees)

And then how did you calculate the final odds?

You multiplied the odds of getting an II * the percent of the interview pool that ultimately matriculated?
med schools are like airlines; they overbook accepts in the expectations that people will go elsewhere.

You have to look how few people got IIs out of the entire applicant pool from OOS, and of those, who got accepts. You have to look at the global picture.
And you can't assume that you're going to get an II, especially if you have no ties to the region.