Advice on how to strengthen application for next year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rocketsfan1994

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN!

First off, just wanted to wish everyone who is applying this summer the best of luck. Hope you all get accepted! I'll be applying next cycle but I'm rooting for all you guys! This forum has been a huge help for me as a long time lurker haha

I was just wondering on what I should do to strengthen my app for next year and make my chances as good as possible! Wanted to plan ahead now because I'm gonna be on crutches for the rest of summer anyway lol (tore my ACL at the start of summer >.<). So as soon as I'm able to, I want to get a start on strengthening my application.

Graduating in the Fall (4.5 year of undergrad). Biology BA and a Poli Sci Minor
Expected oGPA:
Expected BCP GPA: 3.3
Expected Science GPA: 3.32ish (basically 3.3)
DAT: Not taken yet, any advice? Was going to take this summer but ACL surgery made me rethink it. I'll probably take it after I graduate now
Race: Asian (Indian). If it matters at all lolll

No real upward trend I guess throughout the years. Kinda been all over the place. D in orgo, C in biochem, C in cell bio, C in anatomy 2 (retook orgo to a B and anatomy 2 to an A).

Main thing would be I guess over the last 30 credits (2 semesters), I'd have a 3.8oGPA and 3.7ish science/BCP . Over the last 3 semesters (42 credits), its a 3.65 oGPA and a 3.5 science/BCP GPA

Shadowing hours: Over 120, haven't shadowed any specialties though. Guess I'll do that and bring the total to around 150 hours? or around there at least

Community service: Tons, over 500 hours (would probably get more over the rest of the year). Working with refugee relief orgs, packaging/delivering food to the homeless throughout the local inner city, community river/stream cleanups, etc.

Research: None. Any advice? I'd try to get some at school but no one will really give me a 1 semester position since I'm gonna be graduating lol

Work experience: Again, not too much. Kind of grew up in a financially stable household so never really needed to work a lot.

Leadership experience: Held leadership positions on for 2 years for an on campus org, also at a local athletic program where we mentor and train high school students trying to improve their skills in basketball and soccer. Also the founder of a local community service initiative.

I know the main thing right now is to focus on my DAT correct? Any ideas on what score to aim for? I'm a VA resident so we have 1 state school (VCU). Aside from that, nothing really in state.

I was thinking after I graduate to focus on the DAT for 8-10 weeks, knock it out then try and work in a research lab or something (crap pay though lol) until the application cycle started. If I liked the work, I'd stick with it, or maybe just try and find something else after?

Do you guys think I need to look into a post bac or SMP or masters or anything? Or stay an extra spring semester? I was thinking about staying but I was thinking it might hurt my DAT score + it costs $6000. I would have to study for the DAT within 5-6 weeks (the winter break session). I figure it might be better to just save the $ and focus my time on the DATs?

Any suggestions?
Thank you guys so much

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My friend is in a similar predicament, he got a 21 AA and is applying this cycle so we'll see how he does. The only thing is, usually a masters isnt needed with a 3.5, but those C's might drag you down :/
Just try and kill your DATs and hope for the best

There's no reason for you to do a SMP... 3.5/3.3 is great. Do well on the DAT and your application looks great.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the responses guys! Any specific DAT score ranges I should be aiming for to balance the low sci GPA?

And yeah I know the Cs look pretty bad :/ Hoping I can make up for it somehow without paying for a masters >.>

Hey SDN!

First off, just wanted to wish everyone who is applying this summer the best of luck. Hope you all get accepted! I'll be applying next cycle but I'm rooting for all you guys! This forum has been a huge help for me as a long time lurker haha

I was just wondering on what I should do to strengthen my app for next year and make my chances as good as possible! Wanted to plan ahead now because I'm gonna be on crutches for the rest of summer anyway lol (tore my ACL at the start of summer >.<). So as soon as I'm able to, I want to get a start on strengthening my application.

Graduating in the Fall (4.5 year of undergrad). Biology BA and a Poli Sci Minor
Expected oGPA:
Expected BCP GPA: 3.3
Expected Science GPA: 3.32ish (basically 3.3)
DAT: Not taken yet, any advice? Was going to take this summer but ACL surgery made me rethink it. I'll probably take it after I graduate now
Race: Asian (Indian). If it matters at all lolll

No real upward trend I guess throughout the years. Kinda been all over the place. D in orgo, C in biochem, C in cell bio, C in anatomy 2 (retook orgo to a B and anatomy 2 to an A).

Main thing would be I guess over the last 30 credits (2 semesters), I'd have a 3.8oGPA and 3.7ish science/BCP . Over the last 3 semesters (42 credits), its a 3.65 oGPA and a 3.5 science/BCP GPA

Shadowing hours: Over 120, haven't shadowed any specialties though. Guess I'll do that and bring the total to around 150 hours? or around there at least

Community service: Tons, over 500 hours (would probably get more over the rest of the year). Working with refugee relief orgs, packaging/delivering food to the homeless throughout the local inner city, community river/stream cleanups, etc.

Research: None. Any advice? I'd try to get some at school but no one will really give me a 1 semester position since I'm gonna be graduating lol

Work experience: Again, not too much. Kind of grew up in a financially stable household so never really needed to work a lot.

Leadership experience: Held leadership positions on for 2 years for an on campus org, also at a local athletic program where we mentor and train high school students trying to improve their skills in basketball and soccer. Also the founder of a local community service initiative.

I know the main thing right now is to focus on my DAT correct? Any ideas on what score to aim for? I'm a VA resident so we have 1 state school (VCU). Aside from that, nothing really in state.

I was thinking after I graduate to focus on the DAT for 8-10 weeks, knock it out then try and work in a research lab or something (crap pay though lol) until the application cycle started. If I liked the work, I'd stick with it, or maybe just try and find something else after?

Do you guys think I need to look into a post bac or SMP or masters or anything? Or stay an extra spring semester? I was thinking about staying but I was thinking it might hurt my DAT score + it costs $6000. I would have to study for the DAT within 5-6 weeks (the winter break session). I figure it might be better to just save the $ and focus my time on the DATs?

Any suggestions?
Thank you guys so much

No need for SMP. I have very similar (but a smidge lower) GPA and shadowing hours, did no research, but I've had over 1500+ hours of community service, served in 4 officer positions, and worked full-time in a competitive (and high turnover) industry.

As for your DAT, I would shoot for 20+AA. Just a heads up, with similar stats as yours I am "waitlisted" for an interview at MWU AZ and that is not a very competitive dental school. Push really hard to get that science GPA up if you can.

Lastly, I would try not to mention race in your app since Asians are over-represented.

No need for SMP. I have very similar (but a smidge lower) GPA and shadowing hours, did no research, but I've had over 1500+ hours of community service, served in 4 officer positions, and worked full-time in a competitive (and high turnover) industry.

As for your DAT, I would shoot for 20+AA. Just a heads up, with similar stats as yours I am "waitlisted" for an interview at MWU AZ and that is not a very competitive dental school. Push really hard to get that science GPA up if you can.

Lastly, I would try not to mention race in your app since Asians are over-represented.

Woah really?? What was your DAT score?

And can I not mention my race on my app lolll? I thought you had too in the background info thing haha

Woah really?? What was your DAT score?

And can I not mention my race on my app lolll? I thought you had too in the background info thing haha
You don't have to mention your race on your AADSAS, although some secondaries force you to do so.

21 AA, 20 TS, 23 RC, 24 PAT. Bollocks from MWU if you ask me lmao

Wow those are some solid dat scores too. Makes me kinda worry :/
Thank you. I've been meeting so many trolls pretty much claiming that I need a 31 AA on my DAT just to try and piss me off. On the flip side of the coin, I have yet to hear back from 19 other dental schools and I've had advisors and a dentist that said my PS and non-GPA/DAT part of the application is strong, so I'm trying my damned hardest to keep perspective on things.

Thank you. I've been meeting so many trolls pretty much claiming that I need a 31 AA on my DAT just to try and piss me off. On the flip side of the coin, I have yet to hear back from 19 other dental schools and I've had advisors and a dentist that said my PS and non-GPA/DAT part of the application is strong, so I'm trying my damned hardest to keep perspective on things.

Didnt the cycle like just start? I'm sure you'll be able to land some interviews!

Yeah I applied early June and they mailed them out July 1. I finished my last secondary a few days ago so I'm playing the waiting game atm.

oh dang. I feel like youd be fine though, everything seems solid! Wish you the best of luck.

Anyone else got any advice/suggestions?