How to strengthen my application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

willnewman

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
It is not looking good for me to be admitted this cycle. What should I do to make my application more competitive?

GPA: 3.76
sGPA: 3.80

DAT
AA: 21
PAT: 19
NS: 20
none below 17

~100 hours of shadowing one dentist
180 hours as a volunteer firefighter
and 1000 hours working as a part time firefighter/EMT

I am thinking about volunteering at a free dental clinic in the Cincinnati area, but not sure if that will be enough to push me over the edge.

I do not really want to take the DAT again

Members don't see this ad.

Interesting, did you get any interviews? Your GPA is solid as is your DAT. What schools did you apply to and when? It could be you applied too late if anything, or the schools you applied to were not a good fit based on your application and personal statement. Can you give us more details? State of residence could also help. If you’d like, filling out a formal WAMCs post could provide a lot more detail and give us a better picture!

Reactions: 1 users
It is not looking good for me to be admitted this cycle. What should I do to make my application more competitive?

GPA: 3.76
sGPA: 3.80

DAT
AA: 21
PAT: 19
NS: 20
none below 17

~100 hours of shadowing one dentist
180 hours as a volunteer firefighter
and 1000 hours working as a part time firefighter/EMT

I am thinking about volunteering at a free dental clinic in the Cincinnati area, but not sure if that will be enough to push me over the edge.

I do not really want to take the DAT again
when did you submit?
how many interviews did you get? rejections? waitlists?

I applied to 10 schools. I’m an Ohio resident. Got an interview from NOVA and UK. rejected from UK and OSU, and waitlisted from NOVA. All other 7 were silent

I don’t remember exactly when I submitted my application but it was early in the cycle, around July I think.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting, did you get any interviews? Your GPA is solid as is your DAT. What schools did you apply to and when? It could be you applied too late if anything, or the schools you applied to were not a good fit based on your application and personal statement. Can you give us more details? State of residence could also help. If you’d like, filling out a formal WAMCs post could provide a lot more detail and give us a better picture!
OP does have a WAMC post...

Reactions: 1 user
I applied to 10 schools. I’m an Ohio resident. Got an interview from NOVA and UK. rejected from UK and OSU, and waitlisted from NOVA. All other 7 were silent

I don’t remember exactly when I submitted my application but it was early in the cycle, around July I think.
wow, that sucks
your DAT is around the matriculant average, but your GPA is above it
how was your PS? did you have people review it?

Your gpa and DAT are fine. Getting 3 interviews is pretty solid. Maybe work on your interviewing skills?

Your gpa and DAT are fine. Getting 3 interviews is pretty solid. Maybe work on your interviewing skills?
I only had 2 interviews. My first, Nova, I felt like I could’ve done better when I left. But my UK interview went well in my eyes.

I like my PS and I had people review it. I wrote about my first shift working 911 when I was alone with a patient with heart failure and I talked about how I had to compartmentalize my emotions to perform the work that needed to be done.

I’m thinking I need to volunteer at this place Cincy Smiles and get more shadow hours, especially with more diversity (I only shadowed one dentist)

I’m thinking I need to volunteer at this place Cincy Smiles and get more shadow hours, especially with more diversity (I only shadowed one dentist)
i think you should reach out to all your schools after the cycle is slowing down and ask how you can improve
i would apply the day the cycle opens and add a few more schools (at least 3 more, preferably 5-6)
you do not need to retake the DAT...

i think you should reach out to all your schools after the cycle is slowing down and ask how you can improve
i would apply the day the cycle opens and add a few more schools (at least 3 more, preferably 5-6)
you do not need to retake the DAT...
Thank you for this. Around what month does the cycle start to slow down? March or April?

You were good enough for two interviews, but not enough for Ohio State to try...?

Did you ever do the school outreach we suggested months ago?

I think maybe shadowing a different dentist for like 10 hours may help. tOSU is very prescriptive about shadowing expectations. I would think your work with the free clinic will be helpful. I don't know if there's something in your app that didn't click when it came to listing experiences or anything prosaic with your application essays.

A waitlist is not a rejection, so hopefully Nova calls you.