Advice on my MCAT results?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maxthecat

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I tested on July 31 and got my results back yesterday with a total of 513 (131/123/129/130). I like my overall score but the CARS score is driving me crazy. I am torn between retaking or using that score as is. I am wondering if anyone has experience with this situation or know of someone who succeeded in MD admission with a 123 CARS.

Some of my background to consider:
ELS
Permanent resident (first generation immigrant, Asian), MN resident
foreign undergraduate degree, U.S. Ph.D. in chemistry, currently doing postdoc medicinal chemistry research
my graduate school GPA 3.6, currently taking pre req classes at U of MN (most schools don't consider courses taken outside of the U.S.), so far 4.0 on my classes at U of MN.
Started volunteering in Feb, 2020 but suspended in March (covid) so I do not have a lot of hours
Shadowed a cardio surgeon for two surgeries, shadowing with Peds Department suspended (Covid)
expecting to have good letters from previous bosses.

Not aiming for any ivy schools really. Just trying to go to U of MN medical school since my husband and families are all here. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

What were your practice AAMC MCAT scores with section breakdown?

Thanks for the reply!
My FL results:
501 129/124/124/124
503 129/121/127/126
511 130/126/128/127
507 130/125/126/126

did well on the sample test CARS but it wasn't scored.

Thanks for the reply!
My FL results:
501 129/124/124/124
503 129/121/127/126
511 130/126/128/127
507 130/125/126/126

did well on the sample test CARS but it wasn't scored.
Definitely don't retake. Sure, your CARS score went down to a 123 but its within a reasonable confidence band of the practice exams you took. However, your B/B and P/S (especially P/S) saw an improvement that I doubt you'll be able to replicate if you take it again. You'd be risking ALOT for very little reward.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely don't retake. Sure, your CARS score went down to a 123 but its within a reasonable confidence band of the practice exams you took. However, your B/B and P/S (especially P/S) saw an improvement that I doubt you'll be able to replicate if you take it again. You'd be risking ALOT for very little reward.
Thanks for your input! Do you think I can get away with a 123 at MN state school or in general getting into one MD school?

Depending on the rest of your app, a 123 in CARS won't sink you for MD, but it will close a few doors as many schools do screen out applicants with subsection scores below 125. Still, like the previous poster said, your CARS score is pretty consistent with your practice scores so in a retake, it's more than likely you score similarly. For MN specifically, I'd check MSAR or contact the admissions office directly.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Depending on the rest of your app, a 123 in CARS won't sink you for MD, but it will close a few doors as many schools do screen out applicants with subsection scores below 125. Still, like the previous poster said, your CARS score is pretty consistent with your practice scores so in a retake, it's more than likely you score similarly. For MN specifically, I'd check MSAR or contact the admissions office directly.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors
Thanks! I checked MSAR for U of MN. They had 123 CARS as 10% as of right now for out of state accepted and 124 CARS as 10% for in state accepted. Does that mean there is no strict subsectional screening? Do you recommend wide application? My state school is the first choice but I am willing to go anywhere that offers an MD acceptance.

Thanks! I checked MSAR for U of MN. They had 123 CARS as 10% as of right now for out of state accepted and 124 CARS as 10% for in state accepted. Does that mean there is no strict subsectional screening? Do you recommend wide application? My state school is the first choice but I am willing to go anywhere that offers an MD acceptance.

Absolutely apply broadly to 20-30 schools. With the 123 in CARS being bottom 10th percentile, that likely means they don't screen out your CARS score, but it's also possible they make exceptions for some students. It probably wouldn't hurt to give the admissions office a call or email just to make sure.

Absolutely apply broadly to 20-30 schools. With the 123 in CARS being bottom 10th percentile, that likely means they don't screen out your CARS score, but it's also possible they make exceptions for some students. It probably wouldn't hurt to give the admissions office a call or email just to make sure.
Thanks for the response! I emailed them last week but have not heard back yet. They are working remotely and I will just get a recorded message when I call the office. Fingers crossed they don't screen out my CARS next year!