Advice please and thank you

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HenriMatisse

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was planning on applying this summer, but I'm questioning whether I should delay that or plow forward. I'm a 2008 graduate from a good university with a double major in painting and sculpture and a minor in art history. If I continue with my schedule as planned I will have all of my prereqs done except for ochem 2 by the time I take the MCAT in May.

My social life is taking a total beating because of the pace I'm going at. I'm either at school at work or both every day of the week. For example, my weekends go like this 16 hour shift on friday, school from 7AM-3PM saturday, 12 hour shift on sunday. My fiance waits for me to get home from school on saturday, but I'm usually so tired that I fall asleep by 9PM or take a nap from 3-6PM.

I'm well aware that if I slowed down and waited an extra year I'd be a much better applicant. I'll have time to take additional classes, have more work experience and time to do additional volunteering and shadowing. I have been working as an EMT B for a little over 6 months in a company that does not do 911. I've sort of been offered the opportunity to start with the the largest private 911 company in my area, which is great but I will most likely get a terrible schedule that will interfere with my school schedule. I've also had the good fortune of blindly running into doctors that are happy to have me shadow them, but again I simply so not have time to schedule it.

I've got roughly a month off from school for my winter break coming up. Hopefully I'll be able to fit in the shadowing and volunteering that I can't fit in now. Additionally I'll take some practice MCAT tests to see how I am doing in terms of being prepared for the actual test.

I guess the advice I'm looking for is whether I should slow down and take an extra year or whether I should just bang it all out this year? I'm sure that many of the people in this thread are, were, or will be dealing with similar circumstances regarding school, work, and life.

Members don't see this ad.

So I was planning on applying this summer, but I'm questioning whether I should delay that or plow forward. I'm a 2008 graduate from a good university with a double major in painting and sculpture and a minor in art history. If I continue with my schedule as planned I will have all of my prereqs done except for ochem 2 by the time I take the MCAT in May.

My social life is taking a total beating because of the pace I'm going at. I'm either at school at work or both every day of the week. For example, my weekends go like this 16 hour shift on friday, school from 7AM-3PM saturday, 12 hour shift on sunday. My fiance waits for me to get home from school on saturday, but I'm usually so tired that I fall asleep by 9PM or take a nap from 3-6PM.

I'm well aware that if I slowed down and waited an extra year I'd be a much better applicant. I'll have time to take additional classes, have more work experience and time to do additional volunteering and shadowing. I have been working as an EMT B for a little over 6 months in a company that does not do 911. I've sort of been offered the opportunity to start with the the largest private 911 company in my area, which is great but I will most likely get a terrible schedule that will interfere with my school schedule. I've also had the good fortune of blindly running into doctors that are happy to have me shadow them, but again I simply so not have time to schedule it.

I've got roughly a month off from school for my winter break coming up. Hopefully I'll be able to fit in the shadowing and volunteering that I can't fit in now. Additionally I'll take some practice MCAT tests to see how I am doing in terms of being prepared for the actual test.

I guess the advice I'm looking for is whether I should slow down and take an extra year or whether I should just bang it all out this year? I'm sure that many of the people in this thread are, were, or will be dealing with similar circumstances regarding school, work, and life.

What is your reason for doing it quickly?

What is your reason for doing it quickly?

Pulling the band-aid off as quickly as possible.

Prior to saying this I'll acknowledge how naive it is, but I'm 25 and feel like I've got nothing to show for it. Getting into medical school rules just about every area of my life right now, it'd be nice to worry about getting through medical school for a change of pace.

Regardless of whether I apply in june or not, I'm still going to be taking classes and working simultaneously for the foreseeable future.I'd like to get biochem and A+P under my belt as well as some more specialized bio courses. I guess it's not a question of slowing down the pace as it maintaining my current pace and just waiting a year to polish off my applications.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Pulling the band-aid off as quickly as possible.

Prior to saying this I'll acknowledge how naive it is, but I'm 25 and feel like I've got nothing to show for it. Getting into medical school rules just about every area of my life right now, it'd be nice to worry about getting through medical school for a change of pace.

Regardless of whether I apply in june or not, I'm still going to be taking classes and working simultaneously for the foreseeable future.I'd like to get biochem and A+P under my belt as well as some more specialized bio courses. I guess it's not a question of slowing down the pace as it maintaining my current pace and just waiting a year to polish off my applications.

I felt the same way at one point, I felt like I was getting older and had not really accomplished much... I sped through and rushed taking my MCAT and applied... What I ended up learning is that if you rush this process, you will probably not get in. Taking your time and preparing your application will set you up for sucess. After applying three times (I am currently in my third application cycle), I now wish I had waited and just slowed down what I was doing, I would have made better grades, and I would have been in med school without going through all this stress and financial strain.

There is no rush with med school, it will be there when you are done, and in the end you will have more life experiences prior to getting in so you will be more prepared...

You know, I'm actually of two minds on this one. I totally understand your desire to just be done with the application death march. At the same time, its not a race - you're talking about 34 years vs 35 years as an attending, right? So actually if I were you, I'd probably base my decision on MCAT score. If you are hitting the numbers or already have a score that you are happy with/will get you in, then I'd say go for it. If your MCAT is not there yet and the rest of your app needs to be sick, then probs take your time to make sure everything is perfect. I can say from experience, this is NOT a process you want to do more than one. But yeah, if you have 30+ MCAT, I'd say pull the trigger. Keep us updated - I'm curious.

FWIW, I'm making my second (and last) attempt in June 2011. I had 32 MCAT last time, but $hi77y grades, 3 interviews. I'm studying my ass off for the April MCAT, going for 33+, applying to MD AND DO schools - so ready to be done with this :) Good luck

I think as far as grades I'm in a pretty good place. My undergrad GPA is a 3.67 and I'm more or less right around there with my science GPA so far. I know the MCAT is the big pink elephant in the ocrner of the room, I'll let you know when I start taking practice tests in January.

OP,

What are you doing during the weekdays and also what classes are you currently enrolled in?

What state do you live in?

MacVA

OP,

What are you doing during the weekdays and also what classes are you currently enrolled in?

What state do you live in?

MacVA

I live in MA,
Monday I study until I have class from 5-10PM
Tuesday I work 5AM-1PM study till whenever possible
Wednesday I work from 5AM-1PM, class 5-10PM
Thursday study until lab from 5PM-10PM
Friday work 5AM-9PM
Saturday class from 7AM-3PM
Sunday work from 7AM-7pm
Repeat

I'm currently taking physics 1 of 2 at one university, and I'm taking chem 2 of 3 at another. The chem classes are compressed into 6 weeks a piece, so I'm getting Chem 1 and 2 done this semester.
Next semester I'm hoping to get chem 3, physics 2, and ochem 1 done. I'm getting married June 11 on top of trying to fit in the mcat and applications.:scared:

hi everyone,i know this isn't a marriage question just need more mature answers.
i was in hospital foo think im cr a few days and met this doctor,i really like and want to get to know him,he since has been transfered.now i dont know what to do how can i find out about him?

Are you for cereals? Or is this just spam?

FWIW, I'm making my second (and last) attempt in June 2011. I had 32 MCAT last time, but $hi77y grades, 3 interviews. I'm studying my ass off for the April MCAT, going for 33+, applying to MD AND DO schools - so ready to be done with this :) Good luck

Just curious, but with a 32 MCAT you should have a decent shot at med school, especially DO, even with poor grades (of course it depends how poor). You did receive 3 interviews last cycle after all. Why bust your ass trying to improve your MCAT? How is the rest of your application looking?

This is in no way a criticism, just thought it might help other applicants.