MD & DO Advice please (non-trad cGPA:3.2, sGPA:3.3)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

htm10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! This is my first post on SDN, but I have spent a lot of time reading everyone’s very helpful advice. I am hoping to apply for Fall 2016 and would appreciate any recommendations. Sorry for the long post, but I will put a summary on the bottom. Thank you very much for any help you can give me.

I graduated with a BS in geology five years ago with a 3.0 GPA (which I know is a lot to try to fix). This was followed by a MS in geology with a 4.0. These were both at very good state schools for what it is worth. During and after my masters, I worked as a research scientist for the federal government for 2 years. During this time I published two papers in environmental microbiology and presented a poster at the ASM general meeting. I also shadowed during this time because I figured that I should get a PhD if wanted to stay in research. I shadowed a couple different PhD research scientists, an optometrist, and a family practice physician. I decided that it was my last chance to make a change in my life, so I took the jump and started taking undergrad classes last fall and have since taken gen bio, two semesters of ochem and lab, two semesters of physics and lab, genetics, and microbio with a 4.0. Next semester I am taking A&P, biochem and immunology. It is like trying to move a mountain as far as my undergrad GPA goes. As of now, my AMCAS cGPA is 3.24 and sGPA is 3.32. As I said, my gGPA (for what it is worth) is 4.0, and I have had a 4.0 in everything I have done in the last 5 years since I graduated undergrad.

This summer I am doing undergrad research in a genetics laboratory on campus and doing more shadowing with a family practice physician and a pediatric critical care DO. I have been volunteering in a hospital ICU/trauma waiting room 4 hours a week for 8 months (about 140 hours). I have also volunteered in a hospice an hour a week-ish for 8 months (about 40 hours). I will continue to this volunteering for at least the next year. I am taking the MCAT in January, and have gotten 33-34 on practice tests, but I will continue studying in the meantime.

I am a Wisconsin resident, and I would very much prefer to remain in Wisconsin, or at least the Midwest, as I have family and a partner who live here. My main interests are in family practice, internal medicine and pediatrics, although I also really enjoy genetics. That being said, my list so far is as follows, but I am very open to other suggestions or advice MD or DO.

MC Wisconsin
UW Madison
Rosalind Franklin
UMinnesota
North Dakota (is it worth applying if I am OOS?)
DMU-COM
MSU-COM

In summary:
  • -cGPA: 3.24, sGPA:3.32, gGPA:4.0
  • Did poorly in undergrad 5 years ago, and am trying to pull up my GPA. It is difficult because of the number of credits, but I have a 4.0 so far for two semesters of post-bac.
  • 180 volunteering hours so far, will be about 4-500 hours by the time I apply.
  • Taking MCAT in Jan (33-34 on practice tests, perhaps slightly better with more studying)
  • 40-50 hours shadowing family practice and pediatrics, will be shadowing ENT surgeon before I apply.
  • 1.5 years employment in environmental microbiology research, summer of genetics/molecular biology research, masters thesis involved research as well (although in geology). Two publications in environmental microbiology.
  • Other past employment: 2 years as a TA during grad school, 1 year as an animal care worker in a lab during undergrad
Additional Questions:
  • Is it worth retaking easy classes that I did poorly in for the DO GPA calculation, or would they rather see more A’s in higher level bio courses?
  • Any chance at an MD school, or should I be thinking exclusively DO?
  • Any suggestions for schools that I would have a better chance at (wouldn't be automatically screened out)? I would prefer Midwest, but I am open minded.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all! This is my first post on SDN, but I have spent a lot of time reading everyone’s very helpful advice. I am hoping to apply for Fall 2016 and would appreciate any recommendations. Sorry for the long post, but I will put a summary on the bottom. Thank you very much for any help you can give me.

I graduated with a BS in geology five years ago with a 3.0 GPA (which I know is a lot to try to fix). This was followed by a MS in geology with a 4.0. These were both at very good state schools for what it is worth. During and after my masters, I worked as a research scientist for the federal government for 2 years. During this time I published two papers in environmental microbiology and presented a poster at the ASM general meeting. I also shadowed during this time because I figured that I should get a PhD if wanted to stay in research. I shadowed a couple different PhD research scientists, an optometrist, and a family practice physician. I decided that it was my last chance to make a change in my life, so I took the jump and started taking undergrad classes last fall and have since taken gen bio, two semesters of ochem and lab, two semesters of physics and lab, genetics, and microbio with a 4.0. Next semester I am taking A&P, biochem and immunology. It is like trying to move a mountain as far as my undergrad GPA goes. As of now, my AMCAS cGPA is 3.24 and sGPA is 3.32. As I said, my gGPA (for what it is worth) is 4.0, and I have had a 4.0 in everything I have done in the last 5 years since I graduated undergrad.

This summer I am doing undergrad research in a genetics laboratory on campus and doing more shadowing with a family practice physician and a pediatric critical care DO. I have been volunteering in a hospital ICU/trauma waiting room 4 hours a week for 8 months (about 140 hours). I have also volunteered in a hospice an hour a week-ish for 8 months (about 40 hours). I will continue to this volunteering for at least the next year. I am taking the MCAT in January, and have gotten 33-34 on practice tests, but I will continue studying in the meantime.

I am a Wisconsin resident, and I would very much prefer to remain in Wisconsin, or at least the Midwest, as I have family and a partner who live here. My main interests are in family practice, internal medicine and pediatrics, although I also really enjoy genetics. That being said, my list so far is as follows, but I am very open to other suggestions or advice MD or DO.

MC Wisconsin
UW Madison
Rosalind Franklin
UMinnesota
North Dakota (is it worth applying if I am OOS?)
DMU-COM
MSU-COM

In summary:
  • -cGPA: 3.24, sGPA:3.32, gGPA:4.0
  • Did poorly in undergrad 5 years ago, and am trying to pull up my GPA. It is difficult because of the number of credits, but I have a 4.0 so far for two semesters of post-bac.
  • 180 volunteering hours so far, will be about 4-500 hours by the time I apply.
  • Taking MCAT in Jan (33-34 on practice tests, perhaps slightly better with more studying)
  • 40-50 hours shadowing family practice and pediatrics, will be shadowing ENT surgeon before I apply.
  • 1.5 years employment in environmental microbiology research, summer of genetics/molecular biology research, masters thesis involved research as well (although in geology). Two publications in environmental microbiology.
  • Other past employment: 2 years as a TA during grad school, 1 year as an animal care worker in a lab during undergrad
Additional Questions:
  • Is it worth retaking easy classes that I did poorly in for the DO GPA calculation, or would they rather see more A’s in higher level bio courses?
  • Any chance at an MD school, or should I be thinking exclusively DO?
  • Any suggestions for schools that I would have a better chance at (wouldn't be automatically screened out)? I would prefer Midwest, but I am open minded.
Congrats on the academic turn around. UND will likely send you a secondary, but no love beyond that. With a solid MCAT you stand a reasonable shot at DO schools. With a 32+ some MD schools may be within reach as well (e.g., your state schools and Tulane). If you can fit in some retakes between now and when you plan to apply you'll be all the more competitive for DO schools. If you continue with some more upper level science courses with similar performance and a solid MCAT some "low tier" MD schools will be within reach. And of course keep building your ECs. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you very much for taking the time to reply!
I suppose my plan for now is to keep taking classes and building my ECs and applying broadly to DO schools with a few MD schools mixed in.
If anyone has any other school suggestions, I would appreciate it!