Advice please !!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Is this a good plan?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Could be modified

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

Lost92

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello (sorry for the long post)
I need some advice
So I honestly don't think I should of started college right away after high school because I was critically depressed because of a lot of personal medical issues I've had

Anyway I went to community college cause I needed to be home because of the my medical issues, I ended my associates with 2.8 gpa eventually my family's financial were turned upside down and we were pretty much homeless for a while ( probably should of taken a semester off at that point too but didn't)

Went to university started out well, then my mother was sick, she couldn't work we ended up pretty homeless again and I was sexually assaulted too so during that semester my grades slipped and it's been hard to recover
Everything with my family is super better now but I'm graduating now (cause I have to) with a 2.9 gpa but I really want to go to medical school
So my plan was:

• To get a second bachelors degree ( I honestly got really interested in chemistry and wanted to learn more so it wouldn't take that many credits around 40 or so
--- I know doing a non degree status is easier but I'm currently looking for employment and a second bachelors at least offers loans to pay in case I don't find a job right away
After I ace the second bachelors I was thinking
  • I can get a good score on the MCAT so I'll aim high
  • Then I was thinking of applying to a smp first and then apply to medical school in order to improve my chances
I was just wondering if this is a good idea and if it will help, I really really want to go to medical school and personal life crises shouldn't get in the way of that
Please help and five feed back

Members don't see this ad.

I think your plan sucks and here's why.

1. Even if you "ace" your second major you'll only drag your GPA up to a 3.1
2. Even if you "ace" an SMP you'll only drag your GPA up to about the same
3. Say you "ace" both now you have a 3.3-3.4 where you going to get into medical school like that? Not a US MD
4. Doing a second major and an SMP is going to be another 2+ years you are not going to medical school and becoming a physician
5. You shouldn't count on getting a 4.0 and a great MCAT score because circumstances or not you've never proven it.

Better plan
1. Go back and retake every C,D and F you've ever had.
2. Score well on the MCAT
3. Go DO

This plan is much quicker, cheaper, easier and more attainable.

Reactions: 1 user
While doing the second degree I would retake courses in which I got a C or a D , is DO my only option at this point then

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)

3. Say you "ace" both now you have a 3.3-3.4 where you going to get into medical school like that? Not a US MD
4. Doing a second major and an SMP is going to be another 2+ years you are not going to medical school and becoming a physician
5. You shouldn't count on getting a 4.0 and a great MCAT score because circumstances or not you've never proven it.

Better plan
3. Go DO

I agree that you should be probably going for the grade replacement to DO route since it's much quicker and cheaper. Also you should not go to undergrad again just so you can get Loan money to live on...don't add more completely unnecessary debt.

But I'm going to disagree though on the subject of GPA. The point of an SMP is not to raise your GPA, it is an audition for med school. MANY MANY people will get accepted with abysmal GPAs if they ace an SMP. That's the entire point of the SMP. Also, a 3.3-3.4 is low, but it's not death sentence low. State schools are still within striking distance with that GPA, and many others open up if you do well on the MCAT.

However, OP, in your case I don't think it's wise to do the second degree and SMP. If your strapped for money (as it appears you are), then getting a job (ANY JOB!) and retaking <C grades is the quickest, easiest, and cheapest route. After retaking the classes, IF you do well, take the MCAT. If you score 506-514, apply DO. If you score 515+, THEN consider an SMP.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 users

Better plan
3. Go DO

I agree with you that it is highly unlikely that OP will have a turnaround and all of a sudden get a 4.0 and a great MCAT score. However, OP's story is unique and would make a great personal statement. SMP GPA is not the same as the undergrad GPA; therefore, it will be evaluated separately. On the other hand, an SMP is a good way to be $50K+ in debt and no guarantee of getting into medical school. If OP decides on doing an SMP, I'd recommend only programs such as ACMS from Temple or any other program that offers a conditional MD acceptance.

Reactions: 1 user
I was always an A student, except the last year of high when I became depressed and and didn't care, but since my problems are okay now I've actually been able to sit down and study properly and taking only upper division courses the last two semesters I've gotten all A's except one B in both semesters, the semesters were a breeze, I was never worried about a grade in a course I know how to study

The thing is also once I find the job I won't have to accept the loans or use them cause my tuition isn't that high since I live at home with my parents and not on my own, I'll be able to pay out of pocket at that point
I'm genuinely interested in learning more and taking the little chemistry courses, while retaking the C or D courses I just don't know if it will look bad when I'm applying to medical school

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile