Advice please?

MCATerina

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a high school senior, and have been applying to a number of colleges and programs.

I have applied to a few bs/md programs. There are two in particular that I think I have a reasonably good chance at being selected for: UAB EMSAP and the Baylor 2 program. I'm not sure how important this is, but I have already been selected as a finalist for the Baylor 2 program. UAB doesn't have any dates listed, so I have no idea when I find out my standing with that program. Truly, I can't be sure with either, but I am keeping my fingers crossed.

However, I was named a national merit semifinalist, and I need to name a college as my first choice before March 1st. Both Baylor and UAB give great scholarships to national merit finalists. Baylor provides full tuition, but UAB provides full tuition, housing for a year, a $1000 technology stipend and a $2500 stipend for research or study abroad. UAB obviously is a better deal in terms of merit scholarships.

I have visited UAB and it seems nice. Not exactly my dream school, but I can see myself going there. As for Baylor, I visit on January 20th for my interview. I would very much like to be a part of one of these premed acceptance programs; however, the notification for these programs comes after I need to choose my first choice college, so I won't be able to wait and see which I am accepted to (or not accepted)

I was wondering if anyone on SDN could give me some advice or thoughts on which I should choose.

The merit scholarship at UAB is obviously better. However, I have already advanced to finalist standing with the Baylor 2 program, and Baylor has expressed much more interest in having me as a student, whereas UAB has not expressed as much interest. Baylor is a more prestigious university, but UAB is right next to, and has close ties with, the Alabama school of medicine. I know I will have a good deal with either college, but I was wondering if there is anything else I should consider when making my decision. What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: