Advice please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

richarms

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need some straight-up, honest Injun advice.

This was my first time taking the MCAT, and I recieved a 29M (9 PS, 12 VR, 8 BS).

I was afraid of a score like this; a score that is "iffy" rather than straight up "good" or "bad". A 29 is not ideal, yet it is still possible to get accepted with it. Now I need to decide whether or not to take it again. I finished my bachelors with a 3.8 and will have a Master's degree in psychological statistics by the time I apply to med school.

If you were in my shoes, would you retake it? I guess I'm mostly dissapointed with myself because I am used to doing better than this. Verbal reasoning was great, yet BS is below average and a writing score of M is dismal.

I really appreciate any input that you provide.

Members don't see this ad.

The M is poor, but you got a 12 VR. Isn't 29 average for matriculants in the US? I think you did fine and your GPA is strong. Unless you want to go to top-tier schools - and there's nothing wrong if you do - I wouldn't be too worried. Just shore up other problem areas in your app: ECs, LORs, & the sexy (you can't forget the sexy).

I think a 29 is a decent score. You have a high GPA. Just make sure you have some good letters of recommendation and some experience in the medical field. If you do, then I think you should be fine.