Advice really needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gold&black2005

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
so doing some winter break thinkin... inmy senior yr of hs, I applied to the bs/md program at VCU. I made it to the interview stage, but ultimately wsn't accepted (one of 12 who interviewed and didnt make it..38 others did). Due to money reasons, however, I ended up coming to VCU...my advisor, ironically, is the person who interviewed me two years ago. This spring I'll be applying to the med school again via vcus new eap program...My advisor says I'm competitive (3.7 gpa, b's only in calc Ii, orgoi) but I don't know...she's told many times that I cme across as too cocky and yet immture in the interview...and that my commitment to vcu didnt seem genuine...I have Utterly no clue how to fix this...ny interview advice? I really want to go to MCV, and not sure how to come across different(i'm 18, was 16 then)....HELP!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hm...having just conducted some job interviews, I have a few ideas.

Do some research about the school, and talk about the aspects of the curriculum, faculty, or program that make you want to come THERE. Talk about what you've done to prepare instead of how smart you are. Have questions about the program: how it prepares you, how students are evaluated, what they're proudest of. You might even ask how you might make your application more competitive next year if you don't get in this year--asking them what weakness they see that you should work on.

In other words, even though the interview is about YOU, be sure to show interest in THEM.

The general maturity is tougher. Either you've grown up or you haven't. It helps to listen to the questions people ask and try to make sure you respond to what they want to know when you answer, and not what you want them to know. Think about your reasons for wanting to be a doctor and be prepared to explain it clearly--even practice it with your friends.

I hope this helps. Interviews are tough, and it takes practice to get good at them.

Hey. Well, I am 17 and I have the exact opposite problem. Everyone thinks I am too mature and humble:) But immaturity and cockiness is definitely bad in an interview. It's just something you have to work on. Usually cockiness comes from thinking you're better than everyone else. Try to keep things in perspective-there's always someone better than you. When I go to class, people say I look too serious and focused so they assume I am really mature, but when they get to know me they realize I am just like a teenager. Maybe you could try that. And, everything happens for a reason, so if you really love medicine, it will work out. And, these good qualities will come out naturally. Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
:) I really, really want to stress that I am not an egocentric...I really don't consider myself better than anyone, nor would I entertain it...yet, I still come across as that in interviews. Any specific tips on how to sit? I usually sit with one leg crossed onto my knee (think like old 80s business movies and you'll know what I mean)....is that a bad "position"?:confused:

Don't worry, I don't think you're egocentric. It's just that it's important in an interview not to come ACROSS as egocentric, which is a different thing. It's important to let your interest in the other person show, to make a visible effort to make sure your answers address their questions, and to show your decision to attend the school was not undertaken lightly. Little things like looking your interviewers in the eye while talking and while listening, looking for signs of confusion and mentioning them---"Does that get at what you were asking, or were you looking for a little more?" In other words, one of the things *I* look for when interviewing people is that they try to understand where I'm coming from. That, to me, is a major sign of maturity.

One thing you can do, which is a little gutsy, is to say, "I didn't get into X program here last year, and I was disappointed, so I did Y instead (pursued the prereqs at this school, etc.), hoping I could be more competitive this year. It emphasizes that you really really want to attend HERE.

If your interviewers cross their legs, it's no big deal if you do it too, as long as you don't also lean back and get TOO comfy-looking, something I've seen younger job candidates do. There's sometimes a subtle a difference between crossing your legs for an interview and looking like you're settling back to watch TV, and as long as you stay on the interview side of things, you're okay.

Good luck this year! I'm rooting for you!