do you really need 1000 clinical hours?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

andii

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
non trad career changer. if all goes well hoping to accrue clinical hours in the next year and apply in 2025. not sure I will be able to hit 500-1000 with my full time corporate job (which I cannot quit for practical reasons). I have shadowed previously though.

Members don't see this ad.

non trad career changer. if all goes well hoping to accrue clinical hours in the next year and apply in 2025. not sure I will be able to hit 500-1000 with my full time corporate job (which I cannot quit for practical reasons). I have shadowed previously though.
I don't think you need 1000 hours before applying unless you are getting for PA (and there is a different nuance there). 250 to 500 total by submission, which includes 50 hours of shadowing, is solid. 150 minimum.

Reactions: 2 users
No, somewhere you've heard pre-med delusional thinking.

150 hrs is fine, 200 + is great!

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I definitely gave you this advice sorry lol so let me back track and say, 500-1000 is alot for the average applicant apparently. But if your GPA and MCAT are on the lower side it may also give you a slight boost as well. Not sure anything else about you other than what you've mentioned but if you can get a good amount by application time and the rest of your application looks great I'm sure you will get in first try! Goodluck

Reactions: 1 user
No, one does not need clinical hours that would equate to 6 months of full-time employment in order to get an acceptance to medical school.

Clinical exposure should be sufficient to tell you what you're getting yourself into. Most applicants satisfy this with a mixture of shadowing (up to 50 hours) and some type of clinical volunteering. A subset will take gap year(s) and get clinical jobs (MA, scribe, etc.). Those are the people who rack up thousands of clinical hours as paid employment.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
You need enough hours to show that you are truly interested in medicine and know what you are getting into. Do as many hours as you need to have a good narrative to explain your career change. There is no “golden” number.

Reactions: 4 users