advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Reyna

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard anything about the up and coming school of podiatry at the Western University of Health Sciences??? And would you say that samuel merritt is a better school than scholl??

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone heard anything about the up and coming school of podiatry at the Western University of Health Sciences??? And would you say that samuel merritt is a better school than scholl??

no and no

1. Opens up in fall 2009

2. I think scholl is better. CSPM talks a lot bout san fran (amazing city) but the campus is actually in oakland.

Members don't see this ad :)

The only way I would say Samuel Merritt is better than Scholl is with A LOT of sarcasm! :laugh:

Hm, there are both good schools. I would pick them based on location. I would probably pick samuel merritt over scholl. I dont really like the location of scholl, but thats just me.

CSPM has a sketchy recent past, especially with moving campuses two different times. Lax admissions too. I don't know how good of an idea it is for pod students to begin 2 day a week clinicals right after first year...it doesnt seem like you would truly understand what is going on at that early stage (before even finishing basic science). Some students bitched about a certain professor and told me to check out AZPOD instead...not so great to hear on an interview day.

San Francisco is not too far away...one can take the BART there. Awesome city and nice weather which is cool. I'm not sure how much free time you will have to enjoy the city though. When I interviewed in mid october, I asked some students about going to the city and a number said they had not been yet (probably too busy).

CSPM's troubles in the recent past is exactly what it is . . . THE PAST. When they were in trouble, the admissions were lax because that's what they needed to do to survive. But since then they've beefed up the admission requirements, and actually reject some conditional acceptances because they're scores were not up to par.

2nd year clinicals are a good way to get your hands dirty. I can understand that it isn't for everybody, especially if you're scared. But the doctors know what you have and haven't had. IMO it's a great learning process because its mostly palliative care, developing a feel and technique; not cutting someone open to fix their bunion.

As for the bitching and recommending Azpod, I can't tell you who they were. They were probably just blowing off some steam because of some hard test we just had.

Now I'm not saying CSPM is better than Scholl or vice versa, just saying some positive things about CSPM since everyone on here likes cut them down. My best advice is to check out both schools and make up your own mind.