Pod application stats- advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cp0987

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I’m sorry it’s a long post.
I was wondering if you guys can give me input on my stats and whether you believe I would be accepted to any of the school, particularly AZPOD.

my cGPA is a 3.77
My sGPA is a 3.6
My MCAT score is a 494 (I know it’s pretty low)
-I have ~800 hours combined volunteering in hospitals, tutoring pre med majors, and working with underprivileged children (I co-founded a character club and am the Vice President and costume coordinator)
-I have about 175 hours shadowing plastic surgeons in Australia and derm in the US
-I haven’t shadowed a podiatrist yet but am going to all of next week and will likely get a letter of rec from him

I have contemplated taking the MCAT again (I am signed up for it) but I would only be able to in august which would push my app to September. I think that if I apply earlier, I would have a better chance of being accepted than if I retook the MCAT. My fiancé and I are both applying to all 9 schools (he has slightly different stats than me but i would say our stats are on par with each other). We both love everything about pod and are hoping to get into AZPOD as it is our first choice.

opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

The stats are fine (no need for a retake on the MCAT imo). Shadow a few DPMs. Don't apply to all 9 programs; choose at least 3. GL!
Thank you! I don’t think I will be able to shadow more than the one DPM by the time I apply, do you think that would be okay?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if you guys can give me input on my stats and whether you believe I would be accepted to any of the school, particularly AZPOD.

my cGPA is a 3.77
My sGPA is a 3.6
-I have ~800 hours combined volunteering in hospitals, tutoring pre med majors, and working with underprivileged children (I co-founded a character club and am the Vice President and costume coordinator)
-I have about 175 hours shadowing plastic surgeons in Australia and derm in the US
-I haven’t shadowed a podiatrist yet but am going to all of next week and will likely get a letter of rec from him

I have contemplated taking the MCAT again (I am signed up for it) but I would only be able to in august which would push my app to September. I think that if I apply earlier, I would have a better chance of being accepted than if I retook the MCAT. My fiancé and I are both applying to all 9 schools (he has slightly different stats than me but i would say our stats are on par with each other). We both love everything about pod and are hoping to get into AZPOD as it is our first choice.

opinions?
Overall stats are good. MCAT is acceptable for podiatry school, although a better score could potentially mean a scholarship. I would recommend against Temple as they have a hard cut-off point of 495 so it'd be a waste of money.

I'd do what Dexter mentioned and only apply to 3-4 for sure you'd be comfortable at. If you're able to get your money back on the MCAT, I would probably not take it. If not, consider it an attempt to get potential scholarship money.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Overall stats are good. MCAT is acceptable for podiatry school, although a better score could potentially mean a scholarship. I would recommend against Temple as they have a hard cut-off point of 495 so it'd be a waste of money.

I'd do what Dexter mentioned and only apply to 3-4 for sure you'd be comfortable at. If you're able to get your money back on the MCAT, I would probably not take it. If not, consider it an attempt to get potential scholarship money.

Good luck!
Thank you! Do you think I have a good shot at AZPOD?

Thank you! I don’t think I will be able to shadow more than the one DPM by the time I apply, do you think that would be okay?

Shadowing more than 1 can push you to either go for this career or not, which is key before investing your time and money. But if you know this is the field you want to do and will be happy at...then shadowing 1 pod is fine.

Thank you! Do you think I have a good shot at AZPOD?

According to this: https://aacpm.org/wp-content/uploads/AZPOD-1.pdf

Your MCAT is slightly lower than their average, but the GPAs are better, so you have a shot. Apply on day 1 once the cycle opens. Maybe someone that attends AZPod can give a specific answer.

Reactions: 1 users
Agree with above.

Good luck!
I had a friend apply 2 years ago with a 490 and got in, so I don't know how strict that cut off point of a 495 is.

I had a friend apply 2 years ago with a 490 and got in, so I don't know how strict that cut off point of a 495 is.
You know, you're not the 1st person to tell me this, but I literally was on the phone with the woman at temple related to the admissions process and she told me their hard-cut off is 495 for MCAT.

I guess her mood reflects who gets looked at and who doesn't :rofl:

Can anyone help out with chances of acceptance?
cGPA: 3.48
sGPA: 3.29
all other GPA: 3.71

have not taken MCAT yet but scoring a 493 right now with plans to take it in January

GPAs are fine; post again with your MCAT score. Aim for 500+.
you think id have a good shot at California podiatry schools with a sub-500 score?

you think it would be alright to send my application in for this cycle without my LORs and my MCAT score yet, Im worried if i wait to send my application in until I have my official MCAT score my application will be on the later side

you think id have a good shot at California podiatry schools with a sub-500 score?

you think it would be alright to send my application in for this cycle without my LORs and my MCAT score yet, Im worried if i wait to send my application in until I have my official MCAT score my application will be on the later side

Read up on the accepted stats: Colleges - The American Association of Colleges of Podiatric Medicine (AACPM)

Get the LORs and submit the app for verification; state the future date of the MCAT. To grant you an II or not without an MCAT score will depend on the GPAs and the LORs. You will need an MCAT score for acceptance and any scholarship aid.

Hi everyone,

my cGPA is a 3.77
My sGPA is a 3.6

opinions?
Hi, this is my first post/response so sorry if I have yet to figure out formats or responding or whatever. I think you're in good shape. I got into Kent today (my first choice) witha
3.37 gpa
I won't lie I have never calculated my sgpa, probs not ideal but I was always like, it is what it is. Probably just around a 3.0...not super special. Sure your MCAT isn't sexy but mine isn't either...496. While my MCAT score is some percentiles above yours, your grades are certainly great. I mean those are at least DO school type grades. You should land an interview with no problem and when you interview just show you are a human being with passions. That's what I did. You should be absolutely fine. Some people get in with a 505 and some get in with a 488 (I've seen it on here). In fact, Kent's MCAT avg was a 494. Don't stress.

Hi, this is my first post/response so sorry if I have yet to figure out formats or responding or whatever. I think you're in good shape. I got into Kent today (my first choice) witha
3.37 gpa
I won't lie I have never calculated my sgpa, probs not ideal but I was always like, it is what it is. Probably just around a 3.0...not super special. Sure your MCAT isn't sexy but mine isn't either...496. While my MCAT score is some percentiles above yours, your grades are certainly great. I mean those are at least DO school type grades. You should land an interview with no problem and when you interview just show you are a human being with passions. That's what I did. You should be absolutely fine. Some people get in with a 505 and some get in with a 488 (I've seen it on here). In fact, Kent's MCAT avg was a 494. Don't stress.
Hi! I actually got accepted to Kent too! Congrats on your acceptance! I got an interview with AZPOD on the 10th of sept so I think I’m in pretty good shape. I also had an interview with Des Moines the other day and am leaning towards going to it if my fiancé and I get in. Overall really liking the podiatry interview process!