Advice...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

no1188

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi.
I'm currently a junior and will be taking the MCATs in June/09. My gpa is a 2.6 (not including this semester which will hopefully increase it)...which is pretty bad so I am retaking two courses I did poorly in my freshman and sophomore year over the summer session--however it is only offered in July-August. Do you think this is going to effect my application process? I really wanted to retake these courses for better grades then submit my applications but I heard I should be submitting my applications in the beginning of July.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

i'm not on any admissions comitties but I really doubt you'll get in with that low of a gpa. The programs I checked with all had a minimum of 2.75 or higher to get in and I hope for the sake of maintaining any sort of respect in the medical profession they don't deviate from this minimum. I know the field is striving to show the rest of the medical community how competent it's students are and they want to have higher standards than in the past. I honestly mean no offence or disrespect but a 2.6 is pretty low and I think schools would worry about gpas like that hurting their reputation and projecting an image of low standards. Them again if you did awesome on your mcat they might overlook your gpa. My advice would be to retake the classes, raise your gpa then apply.

Well by the time I apply I'll have a higher gpa because I'll have a semesters worth of classes and winter break courses that will help to increase it. Hopefully I'll be atleast at a 2.75 by then and then when i retake the courses it will be a little higher.

Is August late to apply though? I have a friend who told me that you should apply in July becuase you will have a greater chance at interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well by the time I apply I'll have a higher gpa because I'll have a semesters worth of classes and winter break courses that will help to increase it. Hopefully I'll be atleast at a 2.75 by then and then when i retake the courses it will be a little higher.

Is August late to apply though? I have a friend who told me that you should apply in July becuase you will have a greater chance at interviews.

The application opens up in September, so apply then.

i am hesitant to tell people to retake classes to boost their gpa. while the gpa is low, the MCAT can make up for all of it. Unfortunately there is a correlation between the MCAT and gpa, since you need to learn the mcat material somewhere. However, I would move on, show an upward trend in your gpa (science specifically) get a mid to upper 20's on your mcat, and do well in your other classes, as well as focusing on doing EC's as well. Address the problems you have had in the past, whether time committment or study habits. If not, face reality and it is what it is...

Buddy of mine got accepted with a 2.76 and a 25 on MCAT. Of course there were extenuating circumstances regarding her low GPA but she performed fairly well on the MCAT and she had tons of clinical experience and still got in. Don't give up! Prove you're a great student with a steady upward trend in your GPA, decent MCAT, and some solid clincal exposure/LOR from Pods and you could snag an interview. PS- Apply early :luck:

i am hesitant to tell people to retake classes to boost their gpa. while the gpa is low, the MCAT can make up for all of it. Unfortunately there is a correlation between the MCAT and gpa, since you need to learn the mcat material somewhere. However, I would move on, show an upward trend in your gpa (science specifically) get a mid to upper 20's on your mcat, and do well in your other classes, as well as focusing on doing EC's as well. Address the problems you have had in the past, whether time committment or study habits. If not, face reality and it is what it is...

lol I didnt realize I pretty much copied your response! Sry :p

lol hey man you just got in to school and you already have changed your thing form prepod to pod student haha.....:bang::smack: