Advisor LOR for UOP? and how about Meharry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mochafreak

registered quaffer
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got my hands on the ADEA guide and noticed that UOP requires and LOR from your pre-dental advisor. I hadn't noticed that on their webpage, but I probably wasn't looking close enough yet. Did everyone do this? I have 3 science LORs and 1 non-science, but my pre-dental advisor has seen me 4 times for about ten minutes each. And we all know how ISU Steve feels about her. :laugh:

Second, about Meharry. I realize that if you're white it is supposedly a waste of time. However, the guide lists two of their selection factors as people from underserved areas and people with community service in health care. I'm from the Adirondacks in New York, and there are no dentists up there. I also have 2 years of volunteer fire/EMS service and 1 yr. paid EMS experience. You guys think it would be worth a shot, or not? Oh, I'm also a girl.

Members don't see this ad.

If you've got good stats you've probably got a shot there. I got into howard dental school as a white male, and my roommate got into meharry medical school being white as well.

But I would call the school and tell them that you have more intimate contact with another faculty who has guided you through and don't know the premed counselor that well. I think if you ask if they really want a letter from someone who doesn't really know you that well, they might understand.

I didn't have a pre-dental advisor (at least one I knew of) and my school didn't have a committee to write our recs. I just got 2 profs and a dentist to write my LORs. UOP actually granted me an interview before the dentist LOR even got to them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't submit a letter from my pre-dental committee either. I turned in letters from 2 science professors, 1 non-science professor, and 1 dentist. I got an interview at UOP (and accepted) with no questions asked about it.

mochafreak said:
And we all know how ISU Steve feels about her. :laugh:

Ah, yes, Holly. That tax-sucking oxygen thief. :mad:

Remember to vote for me for Student Government President....one of my campaign promises is to do my damnedest to get a new pre-professional advisor. :laugh: :smuggrin:

mochafreak said:
Second, about Meharry. I realize that if you're white it is supposedly a waste of time. However, the guide lists two of their selection factors as people from underserved areas and people with community service in health care. I'm from the Adirondacks in New York, and there are no dentists up there. I also have 2 years of volunteer fire/EMS service and 1 yr. paid EMS experience. You guys think it would be worth a shot, or not? Oh, I'm also a girl.

I don't consider myself to be omnipotent, but I would definitely suggest not letting the reservations of others determine whether or not you apply to Meharry or any other dental school. It will be your application fees, your stats, your decision, and ultimately your life. Someday you might own a dental practice and will have to repeatedly make decisions of this calibur, so there is no time like the present to get accustomed to it.

The opinions on this forum are varied, consisting of a number of different pedigrees, experiences, and expectations. If you want to attend Meharry, apply early just as you would at any other school and follow up that application with emails, phone calls, and letters. I did this at every school I applied to as well. Also, visit the campus if at all possible, even though this can be expensive.

In other words, be persistent for any school that you choose to apply. In the end, having the opportunity to become a dentist is a blessing since there are many people who would love to be in a similar position. I hope to see you in dental school very soon. Take care and GOD Bless.

Thanks guys, I kinda freaked out when I saw that.

grant555 said:

I don't consider myself to be omnipotent, but I would definitely suggest not letting the reservations of others determine whether or not you apply to Meharry or any other dental school. It will be your application fees, your stats, your decision, and ultimately your life. Someday you might own a dental practice and will have to repeatedly make decisions of this calibur, so there is no time like the present to get accustomed to it.

The opinions on this forum are varied, consisting of a number of different pedigrees, experiences, and expectations. If you want to attend Meharry, apply early just as you would at any other school and follow up that application with emails, phone calls, and letters. I did this at every school I applied to as well. Also, visit the campus if at all possible, even though this can be expensive.

In other words, be persistent for any school that you choose to apply. In the end, having the opportunity to become a dentist is a blessing since there are many people who would love to be in a similar position. I hope to see you in dental school very soon. Take care and GOD Bless.
Very well said Grant. And I like the Cosby quote. :)

I don't consider myself to be omnipotent, but I would definitely suggest not letting the reservations of others determine whether or not you apply to Meharry or any other dental school. It will be your application fees, your stats, your decision, and ultimately your life. Someday you might own a dental practice and will have to repeatedly make decisions of this calibur, so there is no time like the present to get accustomed to it. The opinions on this forum are varied, consisting of a number of different pedigrees, experiences, and expectations. If you want to attend Meharry, apply early just as you would at any other school and follow up that application with emails, phone calls, and letters. I did this at every school I applied to as well. Also, visit the campus if at all possible, even though this can be expensive. In other words, be persistent for any school that you choose to apply. In the end, having the opportunity to become a dentist is a blessing since there are many people who would love to be in a similar position. I hope to see you in dental school very soon. Take care and GOD Bless.

Yep, I agree with ISU Steve. I'm just surveying the opinions...I just checked out your website, btw. Very well done. :thumbup: :)

Ya I think if you have a pre dental advisor maybe get a letter from them but seeing that a lot of schools, (like mine) don't even have one they aren't going to really require something like that. Having all the other LOR's is fine.