Advocacy secondary prompt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JAK2-STAT3

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, the prompt is "Our physicians pride themselves on giving outstanding care to patients, while looking for better and more equitable ways to do so. As you think about being a future physician and advocate for patients, describe a time when you advocated for someone or something. What did you learn from this situation?"

I am a medical assistant and was going to write about the time I spent nearly two hours getting bounced around various Medicaid reps to get a medication covered for a patient. This patient was quite ill and really needed the medication. Will this work for the prompt? I'm worried that spending a couple hours on the phone does not count as advocacy. I was also going to talk about my experience fighting Medicaid to get our patients' medications covered more generally, and how this has shown me firsthand how patients on Medicaid regularly receive lower-quality care.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you Goro! I really appreciate all of the time you spend on SDN. Whenever I start to freak out about something in this process I picture your "take two of these" posts and feel better.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all, the prompt is "Our physicians pride themselves on giving outstanding care to patients, while looking for better and more equitable ways to do so. As you think about being a future physician and advocate for patients, describe a time when you advocated for someone or something. What did you learn from this situation?"

I am a medical assistant and was going to write about the time I spent nearly two hours getting bounced around various Medicaid reps to get a medication covered for a patient. This patient was quite ill and really needed the medication. Will this work for the prompt? I'm worried that spending a couple hours on the phone does not count as advocacy. I was also going to talk about my experience fighting Medicaid to get our patients' medications covered more generally, and how this has shown me firsthand how patients on Medicaid regularly receive lower-quality care.
Your example really addresses the question.

Reactions: 1 users