Applicant Advocacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

barrelgrubber321

Reaction score
Is there an authoritative body that polices medical schools for the treatment of applicants? Maybe within AAMC?

It's clear that there are certain "rules" for schools in the overall admissions process but who makes those rules and does that body represent or defend applicants at times? Is there anyone making sure med schools act ethically when it comes to their applicants?

The feeling of "taking my money and not even reading my application" is prevalent among applicants but is there anyone making sure that doesn't actually happen? Anyone making sure that medical schools abide by the information they put forward to prospective students? Or are these just risks we are supposed to accept when we decide to apply?

Members don't see this ad.

These are the risks you take applying. Paying money for an application unfortunately doesn't mean you're owed anything back.

Personally, I think it's a bit unethical especially given the power of modern email platforms etc. Schools could easily send out form rejection letters to people they have no intention of interviewing, but they just don't because they don't have to.

Outside of medicine, private companies do this constantly. I interviewed for a role for 4 months up to talks with directors and VPs and they ended up ghosting me. I will never apply there again and will warn friends about them because that's so incredibly unprofessional.

Reactions: 1 users
Y'all are letting the schools off too easy. Granted, because a denial of admission is forever, some schools will keep their options open just in case something happens that they need to interview people they didn't choose to interview earlier.

Maybe some schools need to be taught a lesson. Imagine if a week before matriculation/orientation, 1,000 applicants who had never heard back sent emails or made phone calls asking for a status update regarding their applications. The sheer volume of applications might overwhelm the admission office. You might pick a school that is notorious for non-response and give them a lesson this year. The news will spread within the adcom community. Pick a different school the following year until, eventually, the culture changes. As @Nontrad_FL_LGBT says, it is easy to send rejection emails using automated systems.

I'll leave it to the applicants to organize such efforts.

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 22 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is there an authoritative body that polices medical schools for the treatment of applicants? Maybe within AAMC?

It's clear that there are certain "rules" for schools in the overall admissions process but who makes those rules and does that body represent or defend applicants at times? Is there anyone making sure med schools act ethically when it comes to their applicants?

The feeling of "taking my money and not even reading my application" is prevalent among applicants but is there anyone making sure that doesn't actually happen? Anyone making sure that medical schools abide by the information they put forward to prospective students? Or are these just risks we are supposed to accept when we decide to apply?
Sorry... that's not how this works. There is no such authority, and AAMC is not concerned with your admissions operation complaints. It represents a more complex aspect of health care education and training, especially making sure schools and hospitals train enough doctors. TMDSAS is different in this respect because they are focused on applications. But they also don't have such an enforcement body as far as I know.

The Committee on Admissions is a consensus driven body that can only make guidelines and suggestions. There are other administrators who handle MCAT, AMCAS, FAP, PREview, who serve and work with the Committee. But individual schools follow their own University procedures too. Members of the Organization of Students and Residents are voices on behalf of applicants.

In the end each school's process is dictated by the faculty committee's policies. Read While You Are Waiting: Processing Health Professions Applications - SDN .

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
In the end each school's process is dictated by the faculty committee's policies. Read While You Are Waiting: Processing Health Professions Applications - SDN .
I would say that from my experience, the faculty committee's policies may be dictated by the Dean of Admissions (or the Dean's boss) and the faculty committee (adcom) may have a say only in who is admitted. In all my years, I've never known the adcom to have a say in how or when applicants who are not being admitted are notified.

It is dictated by someone in the administration but it may not be faculty committee.

Just to add to @LizzyM and @Mr.Smile12

The system is perfectly fair. It provides the medical schools with the most efficient method to choose candidates who will both succeed in medical education as well as be physicians for the multiple communities that they serve. Oh you mean fair to applicants? Simple, you are perfectly free to apply or not apply. There is no one forcing to endure this system. However, the moment you apply to a school via listing on a properly submitted AMCAS application that then gets forwarded to a school, you are agreeing to abide to each individual medical's schools student handbooks, all of which have a section for applicants, and to the policies, process and procedures that each school has developed, and which are published and can be found in multiple places usually on the school's website.

Applicants also fail to understand a key logical point to this process. Schools are NOT deciding on acceptance or rejection; they are asking the question "do we admit this applicant?" And I am sure all you premeds, the F'ing Hell are you talking about? Every who applies to medical to medical school starts with the status of "unaccepted." You all start there. Unless the school changes that status in offering you acceptance, there is no reason to inform as you are still in the same status as well you submitted your application. Would it be nice for the medical schools to let you know if you are still being considered? Yes it would be nice, but the expectation that the school owes you this or it is required is just that, an expectation. It is a desire, a hope. As I tell all applicants, you start as unaccepted, and with 60% of applicants not being offered admission, you must you assume, that you application will be one of those. Having any other hope with usually be met with stress, worry, and anxiety often ending with those hope crushed. This is the reality of applying to medical school. Indeed with nearly a million individual applications submitted a year, and under 200,000 getting action (ie pulled for an interview).

And the numbers, both in dollars and in applicants, means most adcoms barely can keep their heads above water with what they have to do. The application process for schools is a money loser with most institutions running somewhere between $3,000,000 and $5,000,000 dollars in costs, in actual expenditures for dedicated staff and systems, as well as lost revenue/productivity for faculty, especially clinicians, to deal with applications.

As for the technical answer to the OP's original question, each school must develop the three P's of Policy, Process, and Procedure for admission in order to get accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education, which is the only body recognized by U.S. Department of Education as the reliable authority for the accreditation of programs of medical education leading to the M.D. degree within the USA. For applicants, the three P's can be found in various documents on a school's website that would include the mission statement, the student handbook, the admissions committee documents (which can be found in either separate by-laws document or as part of the school's overall committee document), and the admissions website. The information across these documents will usually list in detail the composition and duties of the committee, the factors to weigh when considering a candidate for admission, and guidelines for inviting candidates for interviews, and rules on voting for acceptance. Often schools will have non-public detailed procedures in the screening, evaluation, interviewing, and formal review/votes on application.
I hope you don't find this rude but I'd like to push back on your words. Being free to apply or not apply (no one being "forced" to endure the system) does not inherently make the system fair, nor acceptable. This seems like a very haphazard pro-status quo argument that has been broken down in various historical contexts 👀.

In reference to your second paragraph, you state that the expectation of being informed of your application results is just a desire or a hope. I think that this is the point. That is, rules should somehow be codified (officially or unofficially, as per LizzyM's suggestion) to ensure that programs, at the very least, notify non-selected applicants of their status in a timely manner. I understand the traditional view is that everyone is "unaccepted" until accepted. But that doesn't mean it isn't dehumanizing to pour your efforts and heart into a formal, professional application just to be completely ignored. It also doesn't mean that changes cannot be made to improve the system.

Poor communication contributes to feeling that schools may not be properly considering all applicants as potential candidates. We can acknowledge that there may be reasons why things are the way they are while also acknowledging that this feeling, especially when completely ghosted, is valid.

But of course, my perspective is only one of an applicant. Maybe if I worked on an ADCOM, my feelings would change.:shrug:

Reactions: 6 users
I hope you don't find this rude but I'd like to push back on your words. Being free to apply or not apply (no one being "forced" to endure the system) does not inherently make the system fair, nor acceptable. This seems like a very haphazard pro-status quo argument that has been broken down in various historical contexts 👀.

In reference to your second paragraph, you state that the expectation of being informed of your application results is just a desire or a hope. I think that this is the point. That is, rules should somehow be codified (officially or unofficially, as per LizzyM's suggestion) to ensure that programs, at the very least, notify non-selected applicants of their status in a timely manner. I understand the traditional view is that everyone is "unaccepted" until accepted. But that doesn't mean it isn't dehumanizing to pour your efforts and heart into a formal, professional application just to be completely ignored. It also doesn't mean that changes cannot be made to improve the system.

Poor communication contributes to feeling that schools may not be properly considering all applicants as potential candidates. We can acknowledge that there may be reasons why things are the way they are while also acknowledging that this feeling, especially when completely ghosted, is valid.

But of course, my perspective is only one of an applicant. Maybe if I worked on an ADCOM, my feelings would change.:shrug:
What is timely? We might not want to interview you but we want to keep our options open. If our orientation starts on July 15th, is it okay to email you on July 14th to tell you that your application for admission submitted 10-14 months ago is being denied? Until then, there is always a possibility that we may choose to interview you and admit you.

I do think that times have changed from when it was necessary to stuff and address the envelopes and use snail mail to send a rejection letter to several thousand applicants, if you were going to do that as gesture of good will. Now it is pretty simple, and inexpensive, to send a form letter by email. (It has been pretty simple for 20 years, truth be told.) Schools just don't make it a priority as it is an aside to the mission of selecting a class from among the thousands of applications to choose from.

There are some programs that are more responsive or transparent than others, and I do look at those programs in high regard. You just need to ask the programs yourself before you apply and decide whether they are good players in the game.