After the merger Part 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
High Ed in general lol
Business is OK but “business” hiding behind the shroud of non profit status and sucking government loan money is not OK

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Good lord my school just opened up a new site in Knoxville last fall and they are literally begging current sites to take more students. They can barely host enough sites for current class of 245 then they add 125 more. Shame on LMU DCOM.

Goes to show how lose COCA standards are and how at these meetings the discussion and proposal to COCA is based on a feasibility study discussing the "economic impact" another DO medical school will have in a city of 4000 vs the elephant in the room which is "where will these students train".

In ode to the upcoming Star Wars film: LCME helps us you're our only hope.

• Haha
Goes to show how lose COCA standards are and how at these meetings the discussion and proposal to COCA is based on a feasibility study discussing the "economic impact" another DO medical school will have in a city of 4000 vs the elephant in the room which is "where will these students train".

In ode to the upcoming Star Wars film: LCME helps us you're our only hope.
The funny thing is COCA did put LMU on heightened monitoring which was a nice move for once, and yet they let them increase class size and open a new campus. That's ridiculous.

Edit: I hope whoever will have this spot linked below can actually voice our (the students) concerns to COCA.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The funny thing is COCA did put LMU on heightened monitoring which was a nice move for once, and yet they let them increase class size and open a new campus. That's ridiculous.

Edit: I hope whoever will have this spot linked below can actually voice our (the students) concerns to COCA.
You know who they are going to put on those committees. It will be brown nosers all the way, and even if they aren't their input will be very limited and a formality at best. Like any med student really has time to go evaluating a new schools site/facility/plans.

Reactions: 5 users
As far as residencies are concerned this is stilk mostly true.
For the most part yes. But I still argue geography of your DO school is hugely important. Some MD programs to filter regionally for DO schools. I've even heard of a few programs that filter only DO students from the founding 5 schools.

As far as residencies are concerned this is stilk mostly true.
For the most part yes. But I still argue geography of your DO school is hugely important. Some MD programs to filter regionally for DO schools. I've even heard of a few programs that filter only DO students from the founding 5 schools.

I’ve said this about 20 times in the last few days but it’s about resources, not that any DO school will give you any prestige boost.

And yes the geography thing is very real.

Reactions: 3 users
Geography is important. Programs want to see applicants from close by. Look at where your school matches also, that can make a difference.

Reactions: 1 user
It will be brown nosers all the way, and even if they aren't their input will be very limited and a formality at best. Like any med student really has time to go evaluating a new schools site/facility/plans.

i know the dude nominated. i wouldn't be surprised if he was one of you. His fb post about his priorities:

I have always been about action. I am honored to be nominated to serve as the student voice to COCA. COCA is the accreditation body for all DO medical schools in the country. I am going to be focusing on
1. Controlling the rapid proliferation of medical schools.
2. Ensuring schools have appropriate class sizes.
3. A new perspective on licensing exams (USMLE and COMLEX).
4. Adequate clinical faculty requirements.
5. Enhanced research requirements.
6. A hard residency placement floor so that schools are accountable if their students do not match.
7. A greater push for schools to create GME. It seems schools create branch campuses before they create GME.
Why does this matter? Better institutions = better physicians = patient safety.

I've said it before, and i'll say it again. If you want things to change, you have to work for it. This dude was talking about DO expansion before he matched and iirc, he matched optho this year. People don't actually care what you think as long as you're respectful about it.

Reactions: 1 users
You know who they are going to put on those committees. It will be brown nosers all the way, and even if they aren't their input will be very limited and a formality at best. Like any med student really has time to go evaluating a new schools site/facility/plans.
Yeah pretty much everyone in my class who is ugh “politically active” has the following traits

1. Lame
2. Big ideas no brain
3. Lame
4. Barely passed
5. Annoying
6. Nose six inches deep in dooki

• Haha
i know the dude nominated. i wouldn't be surprised if he was one of you. His fb post about his priorities:

I've said it before, and i'll say it again. If you want things to change, you have to work for it. This dude was talking about DO expansion before he matched and iirc, he matched optho this year. People don't actually care what you think as long as you're respectful about it.

if he already matched then hes not a med student anymore cause that match is in jan.

Reactions: 2 users
if he already matched then hes not a med student anymore cause that match is in jan.

mm good point. Not sure if he's a PGY1 or M4. maybe research year. optho hopeful/resident for sure though.

So a weak new school, like say, ICOM or BCOM, may have its class sizes cut in response.

Are you saying that if graduates from these schools fail to match at a certain rate they will be sanctioned by COCA? Has that ever happened? Since there is no data on matching from BCOM yet, what makes these schools weak? As far as Ive seen BCOM isn't under heightened monitoring, but my knowledge of the timelines that usually accompany these designations is next to none.

Are you saying that if graduates from these schools fail to match at a certain rate they will be sanctioned by COCA? Has that ever happened? Since there is no data on matching from BCOM yet, what makes these schools weak? As far as Ive seen BCOM isn't under heightened monitoring, but my knowledge of the timelines that usually accompany these designations is next to none.
1) Yes
2) No. The guidelines for the sanctions are there, but we are living in an age where the DO is expanding so fast that the newest schools seem to be heading into territory that gets onto COCA's radar in a bad way.

And you're right...BCOM hasn't graduated anyone yet. 2020 will be their test. But attrition rates also get the radar. WCU seems at least to be upgrading their act in fear of COCA. How LMU gets away with what they do is still a mystery to me, so I may be overoptimistic.

A school is weak in my school if it skimps on clinical training and overemphasizes preceptorships.....which is a weakness of most of the DO schools. Farming students out all over the state/region instead of relying of several strong core rotation sites is also something that I displike, which I why I seldom recommend SOMA.

Reactions: 3 users