aggression in children

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lazure

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Need some help sifting through the literature :) I know that aggressive children have difficulty dealing with frustrating experiences. Can someone recommend researchers to look up who use frustration inducing experiences in their design ? Something along the lines of rigged computer games and so forth? Sticking aggression and frustration into Psych Info brings up 100s of studies that I don't have the time to look up.....

Members don't see this ad.

This study by Irwin and Gross (1995) came up in one of my classes. They had the kids play games and then put them in a frustrating situation. Is this the kind of thing you're looking for? Anyway, here's the abstract:

"Examined the impact of violent video games on the behavior of impulsive and reflective children. 60 7-8 yr old boys were categorized as reflective or impulsive according to their responses on the Matching Familiar Figures Test. In a factorial design, Ss then played video games with aggressive or nonaggressive themes. Interpersonal aggression and aggression toward inanimate objects were assessed in a free-play setting, and interpersonal aggression was assessed during a frustrating situation. Results indicate that Ss who played the video game with aggressive content exhibited significantly more object aggression during free-play and more interpersonal aggression during the frustrating situation than youngsters who played nonaggressive video games. Aggressive behavior was unaffected by cognitive tempo. "

The title is "Cognitive tempo, violent video games and aggressive behavior in young boys" and it was in the Journal of Family Violence.