MD & DO Aiming too high?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2015go

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
uGPA: 3.0
pGPA: 4.0
MCAT: 39

*edited*

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I think you're looking solid and your school list looks OK to me. A little late in the cycle for MD, but you're still fine for DO if you submit soon.

What is the nature of the 3.0 GPA? Solid A/B/C grades, or a mixture of A's and C/D's? Also what is the 1000 hours of clinical experience?

I think you're looking solid and your school list looks OK to me. A little late in the cycle for MD, but you're still fine for DO if you submit soon.

What is the nature of the 3.0 GPA? Solid A/B/C grades, or a mixture of A's and C/D's? Also what is the 1000 hours of clinical experience?

The 3.0 was all over the place with no obvious trend.

Should I apply to more OOS schools?

Last edited:
Mid july is late for MD schools?

Columbia, Cornell, U Penn, Mt. Sinai and Brown are all far reaches. Otherwise your list is good. While your MCAT is great your GPA is low. Consider adding newer schools such as Oakland Beaumont and Western Michigan and some of the other Midwestern schools such as Loyola, Rosalind Franklin, St. Louis. Also, it is not too late to apply to DO schools and there are 2 in NY and 2 in PA you could apply to. Send In in your secondaries by early September at the latest.

Columbia, Cornell, U Penn, Mt. Sinai and Brown are all far reaches. Otherwise your list is good. While your MCAT is great your GPA is low. Consider adding newer schools such as Oakland Beaumont and Western Michigan and some of the other Midwestern schools such as Loyola, Rosalind Franklin, St. Louis. Also, it is not too late to apply to DO schools and there are 2 in NY and 2 in PA you could apply to. Send In in your secondaries by early September at the latest.

Thanks for your reply. Will definitely look into the OOS schools you suggested. Should I even send in secondaries to the far reaches (assuming I get them) and waste the $? There is no point in applying to the elites if I will just be auto-rejected after they receive the $, right?

Last edited:
Yes, forget about sending in your secondaries to those reach schools and save the money for your interview visits to the other schools.

I'm trying to add to my list. Here's my unbalanced profile:

There are plenty of schools that reward reinvention
Goro suggests:

The Commonwealth Medical College
New York Medical College
Albany Medical College
Drexel U. CoM
SUNY upstate Medical U.
George Washington U. SoM and Health Sciences
Sidney Kimmel Med. College @ Thomas Jefferson U.
Hofstra North Shore - LIJ SoM
Temple U. SoM
Stony Brook U. SoM
U. at Buffalo State U. of NY SoM & Biomedical Sci
SUNY downstate Medical Center CoM
Tulane
BU
Tufts
Case
Vanderbilt
U VT
Any DO program. Start with NYCOM, PCOM and TUCOM-NY