air transport staffing position statement (Pg 1 of 2)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
bell412 said:
Foughtfyr, I didn't learn a thing about prehospital in nursing school. Just bed making. Are you happy now.

Don't be ridiculous, just about everyone here knows that nurses get more training than bed making and pill pushing. Don't get mad, and please don't take any of what you are reading personally, just give your opinions and back them up, no one can ask for more than. It seems to me that alot of the opinions you're getting stem from what is percieved as prejudicial attitudes towards medics from nursing.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not mad trust me. The only point I'm making is that RN's have a role in prehospital. No we do not learn prehospital in nursing school. With additional training we function as experts in prehospital. I respect your opinion foughtfyr but all your suggestions about how hospital based helicopter services should be staffed are just your opinions that’s it. Pretty much every discipline in health care hates advanced roles nurses are providing. It’s nothing new. But the fact is we are doing a great job at them. If we were providing a service that harmed the public then we would not exist period. Look all over this board and you will find nurse bashing. It’s been that way forever. Just trying to defend my existence that’s all. When I'm done with graduate school I don't know if I'll continue doing flight nursing. However a flight CRNA could probably get the job done.

> Look all over this board and you will find nurse bashing. It’s been
> that way forever.

Well, people are mainly bashing YOU, not so much nurses in general. And that is mostly related to your acidic personality. Folks would bash you just as much if you were a doc.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder if one of you could educate me on how paramedics fall under the jurisdiction of nurse practice acts. If a physician in an ED orders an intervention, who are nurses to say that a paramedic can't follow that order? I just don't understand how a law which governs nurses tells other pt caregivers what they can/cannot do.

canjosh said:
I wonder if one of you could educate me on how paramedics fall under the jurisdiction of nurse practice acts. If a physician in an ED orders an intervention, who are nurses to say that a paramedic can't follow that order? I just don't understand how a law which governs nurses tells other pt caregivers what they can/cannot do.

Because nurse practice acts specifically state that nurses are the only individuals authorized to perform certain activities in the hospital. Some examples include administering medication or performing specific patient safety functions in the OR. These are defined by law as "nursing practice". So, much like a pharmacist cannot prescribe a medication, even if they have the knowledge to do so (as that is defined as the practice of medicine) a paramedic can not administer medications in the hospital setting. To what level? I know of a level 1 emergency room that employs medics as techs. In the event a nurse can not get an IV, the medic will. However, the medic can only insert the catheter, a nurse has to flush the line. Why? NS is a medication...

- H

Thanks for the reply Fyr. I understand all that...I've worked both 911 and in the 'tech' capacity as an EMT-P. What I can't seem to grasp is this...If a physician orders something that's within the EMT-Ps scope of practice, how are nurses able to limit that scope? We're not under the jurisdiction of the BNE or whoever their regulatory board is. It just seems like the nursing lobby has gotten laws enacted that significantly overstep the limits of their power--and we've let them get away with it. They're defining certain aspects of the practice of medicine as 'nursing practice'.

canjosh said:
Thanks for the reply Fyr. I understand all that...I've worked both 911 and in the 'tech' capacity as an EMT-P. What I can't seem to grasp is this...If a physician orders something that's within the EMT-Ps scope of practice, how are nurses able to limit that scope? We're not under the jurisdiction of the BNE or whoever their regulatory board is. It just seems like the nursing lobby has gotten laws enacted that significantly overstep the limits of their power--and we've let them get away with it. They're defining certain aspects of the practice of medicine as 'nursing practice'.
It's not nurses that limit that scope of practice. State laws limit that practice. Many of those laws are there because of powerful nurse lobbying.

You have to admit, nurses really stick together. Imagine if physicians were the same way. If so, we probably wouldn't have psychologists writing prescriptions.

Yeah, sorry for the poor word usage. When I said nurses, I meant nurses through their lobbyists.