Opinions on medical transport

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mbeas

Hi I'm Kate
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has any opinions on doing medical transport? Unfortunately, actual emergency EMS is out of the question for me right now, so I'm looking for something else to do with my EMT-B cert.

Members don't see this ad.

Depending on the run volume of the company you are with, this can be a great opportunity for easy cash. Easy work, very little true patient care involved (on a BLS crew anyway), and if you get night shifts can be the true dream of every commercial EMS provider (earn money sleeping). I wish I still did commercial EMS, it was the easiest money I've ever made.

Disclaimer: This all is very dependent on the company you work for. As a BLS provider though, you will be doing SNF/interfacility/Dr's appts/dialysis type transports. If you get stuck on an ALS crew you will be driving quite a bit.

It's all what you make of it...You may not get much "true" patient care, but that doesn't mean that you can't use all those routine transports to beef up your assessment skills and interview techniques...

As DitchDoc already mentioned, being on a BLS transport car is entirely what you make of it. I enjoyed being an EMT-Basic on the ambulance, as well as working in the ER, and will say that I learned a ton. Inter-facility transport cars are awesome, because you many times get a chance to study, sleep, and learn a ton more about patients (especially as a new EMT or new healthcare provider).

Inter-facility transports are all what you make of it, if you choose to learn medications, study patients as you interact with them, you will gain an advantage for any further advancement in the medical field.