Alcohol intoxication seizure threshold?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Healthinfo104

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
(I'm not asking this as medical advice or as a solution, just curiousity) but does alcohol intoxication (not withdrawal), does it raise the seizure threshold since its a gaba agonist like benzos? Or does alcohol intoxication lower the seizure theshold?

I've read that alcohol poisoning can cause seizures.

Members don't see this ad.

(I'm not asking this as medical advice or as a solution, just curiousity) but does alcohol intoxication (not withdrawal), does it raise the seizure threshold since its a gaba agonist like benzos? Or does alcohol intoxication lower the seizure theshold?

I've read that alcohol poisoning can cause seizures.

Alcohol poisoning is epileptogenic by itself (Just like most AEDs are) and will decrease seizure threshold for many epilepsies, especially Focal Epilepsies. It might theoretically be protective against some Epilepsies (Generalized may be?). All this is theoretical, I am not aware of any Randomized studies.

There are a lot of issues with excessive alcohol intake in patients with epilepsy. People who are intoxicated or hung over forget to take medications, alcohol can impact sleep, alcohol can alter absorption and/or metabolism of some medications, and as the alcohol is being eliminated gaba receptors are less stimulated. Anecdotally they tend to seize 1-3 days after getting drunk.