All About Our Pets(Pics, Advice, Etc)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Trazadone??
He did calm down after it was time for his second dose of ace and I just kept on him on it every 8-12 hrs until his "rest time" was up. It was a struggle the first day post op though! I actually have trazadone for my other dog but she weighs about 1/8 of what he does so I wasn't sure of the dosing (and didn't want to use all of her pills up).

Sitting here studying and the kitty decides to curl up on my legs and fall asleep. Then my legs start to fall asleep and I deal with it for a while but then I hit the point that I just have to move them. So I try to move very slowly and suddenly kitty wakes up and starts biting my leg. :yeahright:

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Boyfriend wants us to get a stoat so badly. Too bad they're invasive in the US and illegal to own

Well... I almost made it through surgery class without another animal. Last one of the semester, and this pregnant, sneeze-y purring machine from a 90%+ kill shelter shows up...

Em2R2mY.jpg

EDY8wWc.jpg

Needless to say, she's currently quarantined in my bathroom. I'd love some name suggestions - I have a scientist theme in my house (Darwin, Da Vinci, Tesla) so I'd like to continue that if I can. :) Playing around with Rosalind Franklin (Rosie/Frankie) and Curie right now.

Reactions: 2 users
There's also Dorothy Hodgkin with X-Ray crystallography - she determined the structure of insulin. I love her eyes! ...the cat's that is, though I'm sure Dorothy Hodgkin had nice eyes too. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I really like Marie, too! But it's actually my middle name and that feels a bit weird to me...

Thanks for suggestions so far, guys. :D
Haha I guess that would be a little odd...let's see...Ada would be nice, though Ada Lovelace was technically a mathematician. I do think Rosie would be a good fit too though :)

Yeah... not anymore! Kind of sad, but we definitely don't need more kittens around.
:)
I wholeheartedly agree. And another kiten pic for you all. These are some kittens we had back in December. Mom was totally feral, but all the kittens got homes and mom was spayed, vaccinated and recently acclimated to another managed colony.
image.jpg

Trying to teach my dog to shake his head "no" in the hopes that we can use it in a video project for next week. He learns pretty quickly, but seems to just not grasp the concept of targeting an object. He knows "touch" in that he'll touch his nose to two of my fingers, but can't bring that whole concept to an object. I was trying to mimic the this video, but the whole post-it note thing doesn't seem to work for him.

Had to stop our lesson because I was getting frustrated. :oops:

I also can't seem to get him to become more toy interested. I've tried using videos by this trainer before but as soon as he gets any piece of food (and i'm using just kibble for this) he just fixates on me.

I feel like my rabbit is always popping up in this thread...

Happy to say that he is about 90% accident free once I gave him my cat's old litter box instead of the rabbit sized ones...which means I made the switch to fleece bedding to save money!! Does anyone else have experience with fleece? So far, I'm really loving it other than having to shake it out before it goes in the washer. He does get rambunctious and kick it around a bit, but I use bricks in the corners to help keep it in place. I'm hoping to find him a better hay basket so I won't have to shake it out when I head to school (I live next to a field now, so shaking it out there doesn't bother anyone). Does anyone sew fleece together and fill it with something thick/absorbent or have any other suggestions?

Now the problem...he currently lives in a dog kennel with folded coroplast to make his floor/walls. He just recently went on a chewing spree and nibbled down about half of one of his walls. He is disinterested in most of the chew toys I give him (I even bought a bunch of 'Made in China' toys out of desperation). I'm spraying bitter apple spray on the edges of his wall now, but I does anyone have any other chew toy suggestions? Or better housing suggestions in general? I really want him to have tons of space...so a cage from Petsmart won't be an option for me. Something durable, as he's huge and crazy.

Happy to say that he is about 90% accident free once I gave him my cat's old litter box instead of the rabbit sized ones...which means I made the switch to fleece bedding to save money!! Does anyone else have experience with fleece? So far, I'm really loving it other than having to shake it out before it goes in the washer. He does get rambunctious and kick it around a bit, but I use bricks in the corners to help keep it in place. I'm hoping to find him a better hay basket so I won't have to shake it out when I head to school (I live next to a field now, so shaking it out there doesn't bother anyone). Does anyone sew fleece together and fill it with something thick/absorbent or have any other suggestions?

Now the problem...he currently lives in a dog kennel with folded coroplast to make his floor/walls. He just recently went on a chewing spree and nibbled down about half of one of his walls. He is disinterested in most of the chew toys I give him (I even bought a bunch of 'Made in China' toys out of desperation). I'm spraying bitter apple spray on the edges of his wall now, but I does anyone have any other chew toy suggestions? Or better housing suggestions in general? I really want him to have tons of space...so a cage from Petsmart won't be an option for me. Something durable, as he's huge and crazy.

My roomie just made a huge playpen out of these grids for her rabbit when she had him. He was litter box trained, so she didn't even worry about putting a blanket down. Amazon product I used these grids to make a C&C cage for my pigs. You could probably do it for the rabbit as well, but would probably have to do the sides 2 grids high, to prevent your rabbit from hopping out when he does his binkies.

As for fleece, I use it for my piggies. I sweep poops 1-2x a day and change it ~1/wk since they aren't litter box trained. My set up is a layer of pee-pads then a fleece blank, another layer of pee pads and then the top fleece. With this method, I find that I can get away without changing the bottom pee-pad and fleece for up to two weeks. I also feel like the top fleece then doesn't smell as much since it's actually being absorbed by the middle pee-pad layer. I'd love to switch to non-scented wood chip pellets from like a feed store, because I've ready that you can get away without changing those for like 4+ weeks and just change the fleece blanket that is on top of them. For cleaning, I pre-wash with white vinegar and then use a non-scented detergent and baking soda in the actual wash cycle.

My roomie just made a huge playpen out of these grids for her rabbit when she had him. He was litter box trained, so she didn't even worry about putting a blanket down. Amazon product I used these grids to make a C&C cage for my pigs. You could probably do it for the rabbit as well, but would probably have to do the sides 2 grids high, to prevent your rabbit from hopping out when he does his binkies.

As for fleece, I use it for my piggies. I sweep poops 1-2x a day and change it ~1/wk since they aren't litter box trained. My set up is a layer of pee-pads then a fleece blank, another layer of pee pads and then the top fleece. With this method, I find that I can get away without changing the bottom pee-pad and fleece for up to two weeks. I also feel like the top fleece then doesn't smell as much since it's actually being absorbed by the middle pee-pad layer. I'd love to switch to non-scented wood chip pellets from like a feed store, because I've ready that you can get away without changing those for like 4+ weeks and just change the fleece blanket that is on top of them. For cleaning, I pre-wash with white vinegar and then use a non-scented detergent and baking soda in the actual wash cycle.

I used those grids for my pig as well, but I'm worried they won't be strong enough (I used zip ties with my pig). He likes to jump off the sides of his pen now haha. I would love to do a multi story thing for him, but I'm not sure if that's safe given his craziness.

I have peepads to try, but I'm worried he'll eat those. I tried a base layer of paper towels with the fleece and he ended up shredding those :( the woodchips sound nice, but could be a pain when it comes to picking them out of the fleexe before you wash.

Silly me. My rabbit prefers $15 phone chargers over actual rabbit toys.

:smack::bang:+pissed+:arghh:

Well... I almost made it through surgery class without another animal. Last one of the semester, and this pregnant, sneeze-y purring machine from a 90%+ kill shelter shows up...

Em2R2mY.jpg

EDY8wWc.jpg

Needless to say, she's currently quarantined in my bathroom. I'd love some name suggestions - I have a scientist theme in my house (Darwin, Da Vinci, Tesla) so I'd like to continue that if I can. :) Playing around with Rosalind Franklin (Rosie/Frankie) and Curie right now.
She's beautiful! I like Curie :)

I used those grids for my pig as well, but I'm worried they won't be strong enough (I used zip ties with my pig). He likes to jump off the sides of his pen now haha. I would love to do a multi story thing for him, but I'm not sure if that's safe given his craziness.

I have peepads to try, but I'm worried he'll eat those. I tried a base layer of paper towels with the fleece and he ended up shredding those :( the woodchips sound nice, but could be a pain when it comes to picking them out of the fleexe before you wash.

When I say woodchips, I mean like actual pellets. Like the shape of Yesterday's News. Aspen and stuff like that is definitely a PITA to remove from fleece.

Reactions: 1 user
My parents adopted two (bonded sisters) 8mo labs today from a local rescue. It's so nice to have dogs around again, even if we'll be leaving relatively soon. Can't wait til we can get our own :D

I actually do not currently own a rabbit, but have been considering getting one!! After doing some research, I'm thinking a play pen might be the best option!! The ones I've been looking at on Amazon are the "Merax Black E-Coat 8-Panel Pet Dog Play Pen Exercise Kennels outdoor/indoor use 24"W x 36"H." Inside the pen, I would have a smaller cage and the litter box. Of course, the rabbit would have floor time in the morning and evenings, and generally, when I'm home.

One question I had for you is how often are you cleaning your litterbox? I'm nervous about the smell.

I actually do not currently own a rabbit, but have been considering getting one!! After doing some research, I'm thinking a play pen might be the best option!! The ones I've been looking at on Amazon are the "Merax Black E-Coat 8-Panel Pet Dog Play Pen Exercise Kennels outdoor/indoor use 24"W x 36"H." Inside the pen, I would have a smaller cage and the litter box. Of course, the rabbit would have floor time in the morning and evenings, and generally, when I'm home.

One question I had for you is how often are you cleaning your litterbox? I'm nervous about the smell.
I'm going to get my bun a dog pen as well, I've decided. I want some type of flooring, but I need to design it so that he won't be able to chew it up.

I clean his soiled litter once or twice a day. I'm not gonna lie, it smells a bit farm-y if i put it off. I'm also bad about taking out garbage bags....part of the problem. I find the messes and odor much more manageable with fleece and a litterbox, though. I'm learning that if I keep hay out on the fleece, he's more likely to pee outside his box while he eats. He's improving, but I still change his fleece every other day.

I like my Glade plug-ins and those deodorizing gel cone things :)

I worry about my landlady's dogs for this reason. They don't seem to have a severe case, possibly because they were raised with another dog and because she spends a ton of time with them, but they do freak out if they are separated.

So far they seem pretty good and were great at the adoption event with all the people, dogs, etc :)

I've been facepalming a lot though. Yellow dog got up on the couch last night (as she was allowed to do at her foster) and my parents say, "Bring the newspaper over there" "be stern with her!" etc and I'm like dude, no. She doesn't know what the rules of the house are yet. Or my dad wants them to sit before he attaches their leash and just keeps repeating "Sit" over and over and it's like uh, they don't know what that means...So I'm trying to stay out of my parents' way because technically these are their dogs, but I'm also trying to help as someone who has a better understanding of dogs, behavior, etc. (Good news is I've sent them a list of positive trainers in the area, so they won't find some Cesar Millan nut job.)

So far they seem pretty good and were great at the adoption event with all the people, dogs, etc :)

I've been facepalming a lot though. Yellow dog got up on the couch last night (as she was allowed to do at her foster) and my parents say, "Bring the newspaper over there" "be stern with her!" etc and I'm like dude, no. She doesn't know what the rules of the house are yet. Or my dad wants them to sit before he attaches their leash and just keeps repeating "Sit" over and over and it's like uh, they don't know what that means...So I'm trying to stay out of my parents' way because technically these are their dogs, but I'm also trying to help as someone who has a better understanding of dogs, behavior, etc. (Good news is I've sent them a list of positive trainers in the area, so they won't find some Cesar Millan nut job.)

Dear lord the Cesar Millan followers in my dog's facebook rescue group drive me insane. Some of the techniques people suggest, especially when it comes to aggression issues make me want to cry. I try to stay out of a lot of it, but when it's related to aggression, I have to at least recommend they consult an actual trainer instead of taking advice online due to the huge liability associated with bites.

Last edited:
Dear lord the Cesar Millan followers in my dogs rescue group drive me insane. Some of the techniques people suggest, especially when it comes to aggression issues make me want to cry. I try to stay out of a lot of it, but when it's related to aggression, I have to at least recommend they consult an actual trainer instead of taking advice online due to the huge liability associated with bites.

Ugh I can't even imagine. I feel so bad for those dogs.

On the bright side, I think my dove's swollen eye is finally starting to get better! The eyelid is still a little wonky and drooping down part of his eye, but he's not holding it clamped shut anymore. The iris color isn't turning back to normal though, but since we don't know why that happened in the first place I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

On the downside, my mom called me last night to tell me she had our 20 year old cat Taffy euthanized. She'd been chugging along pretty well with CKD for the past few years but seems to have developed some lower urinary tract problem over the past few days and was pretty dehydrated, anorexic, and pollakiuric all over the place with bloody urine. They decided not to try to treat it since she had been going downhill over the past few months and had gotten so thin and had chunks of hair falling out. It's a bit hard to write her a eulogy since she was always a bit of a prissy standoffish cat, but it's still sad to see both of my childhood pets gone now. She was a funny cat. As much as she hated being pet or held, she'd always find your lap the moment you were thinking about getting up and curl up on it for warmth--at least until we got her a heated bed... she had no use for our laps after that. And when no laps were available she'd neatly tuck herself in under a lampshade with her head next to the lightbulb.
DSC01751 (2).jpeg

On the bright side, I think my dove's swollen eye is finally starting to get better! The eyelid is still a little wonky and drooping down part of his eye, but he's not holding it clamped shut anymore. The iris color isn't turning back to normal though, but since we don't know why that happened in the first place I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

On the downside, my mom called me last night to tell me she had our 20 year old cat Taffy euthanized. She'd been chugging along pretty well with CKD for the past few years but seems to have developed some lower urinary tract problem over the past few days and was pretty dehydrated, anorexic, and pollakiuric all over the place with bloody urine. They decided not to try to treat it since she had been going downhill over the past few months and had gotten so thin and had chunks of hair falling out. It's a bit hard to write her a eulogy since she was always a bit of a prissy standoffish cat, but it's still sad to see both of my childhood pets gone now. She was a funny cat. As much as she hated being pet or held, she'd always find your lap the moment you were thinking about getting up and curl up on it for warmth--at least until we got her a heated bed... she had no use for our laps after that. And when no laps were available she'd neatly tuck herself in under a lampshade with her head next to the lightbulb.
View attachment 191202
Sorry for your loss :( She was a beautiful kitty.

Zay Zay had an awesome play date today!

I just need to rant a bit...One week later and times are a bit tough with the two new dogs. My parents are really struggling with them and I think it's just because they're puppies, full of puppy energy and bad behaviors. I am working hard on positive reinforcement stuff and that seems to go well - they sit like champions now and we're learning 'down' and I went out and bought them some toys that can be slathered in PB to redirect their explosions of puppy play/warfare that break out. Also bought them some comfortable beds and they haven't gotten up on the furniture - go figure ;) They're struggling with house training mostly because my dad takes them out, they don't go and then he kind of ignores it. You have to be watching them ALL OF THE TIME and when they start sniffing around, out they go. But then they don't heap on the praise for going outside, so how are the dogs supposed to know?

The dogs clearly like me and my husband more than my parents, who are supposed to be their owners, and I'm certain it's because we don't yell at them and do use lots of treats. My parents are at the point where they're debating giving them back, and I almost want to encourage them to do that and get an older, more mellow single dog for their own sanity. I may have a bit of a sit down with them in the next few days and see what we might do. I'm certain the rescue would be more than happy to take them back.

Sigh.

Methods for keeping my cat off the countertops? She just discovered she's a big girl now and can jump that high. I'd rather curb it now and I'm not always around to land a good water bottle shot.

Methods for keeping my cat off the countertops? She just discovered she's a big girl now and can jump that high. I'd rather curb it now and I'm not always around to land a good water bottle shot.
Good luck with that. Years of "training" have only taught my older girl not to jump on the counters or table when someone is in the room. For whatever reason my boy doesn't ever do that, unless he's jumping up on my mom's bathroom counter to sleep in her sink.

Maybe provide some alternative to counter-jumping, like one of those cat tree things. She might be satisfied enough with jumping up on one of those to not even bother with the counter. I never got around to using them, but there are also motion detector spray devices and things like the Snappy Trainer that could help deter her when you're not in the room.

I have one of these for my cat. Works great, scares the crap out of her, but I always forget about it and walk in front of it and then it scares the crap out of me. Now I'm afraid to walk in front of counters...

:p

But really, worked well and I don't use it anymore because she got the idea. I should put it back up there though because lately my dog has started counter surfing...

I have one of these for my cat. Works great, scares the crap out of her, but I always forget about it and walk in front of it and then it scares the crap out of me. Now I'm afraid to walk in front of counters...

:p

But really, worked well and I don't use it anymore because she got the idea. I should put it back up there though because lately my dog has started counter surfing...
this is how I trained my cats to stay off the dining room table

Well it's been about a month since I put anti cage bar chewing pieces in, and pig is finally starting to challenge it. Time to get creative again...

So my dog now is having a bit of enteritis from his stealing of my roomie's dog's food yesterday. I probably should have with-held food this morning but his stool was normal in the AM, so I guess I'll with-hold dinner and give him z/d or something else bland tomorrow. But fluffy corgi butts/tail and diarrhea do not mix. Poor thing had to get a bath and I attempted (probably poorly) to trim some of his hair.