All About Our Pets(Pics, Advice, Etc)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
In an effort to stop the 5:30AM performances of "Hey mom, we're starving, so we're going to throw ourselves against your bedroom door", I got the cats an automatic feeder. Normally, I'd just do the tough-love thing, but if I don't feed them, they go harass my flatmate and that's not fair to him. I've got it set for little meals throughout the day in hopes of both cats getting enough to eat - my boy is a big jerk so I have to make sure the little girl gets enough. There was notably less dramatics this morning, so hopefully I can get them to stop associating "human=food" and that the magical box will spit out food when it's good and ready.
I've thought about doing this as well but I'm not sure how I would make sure that each cat was only getting the food it's supposed to and I'm super anal about that. Would make my life easier though.

Members don't see this ad.

I've thought about doing this as well but I'm not sure how I would make sure that each cat was only getting the food it's supposed to and I'm super anal about that. Would make my life easier though.
I've seen collar-activated feeders, but they aren't cheap. $100 a pop or so, and then you'd want two. I want to do the same to give each cat the best food for the individual's needs, but 1. Money 2. Neither of my cats will keep a collar on for very long.

Part of my problem is that my little girl cat inhales food, and my overweight boy likes to eat small bites over an hour or two. I think it has caused him to drop weight a bit quicker than I would have liked.

Part of my problem is that my little girl cat inhales food, and my overweight boy likes to eat small bites over an hour or two. I think it has caused him to drop weight a bit quicker than I would have liked.
Same problem. I think I've trained the boy to eat his meal in about 20 minutes though. The girl still sometimes eats so fast she makes herself puke though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also have a female that inhales and a male that takes entirely too long. :laugh:
I like to think it's because my girl was a 'feral' cat, so wasn't used to being allowed to take her time to eat. Who knows though.

Also, I swear my rabbit tries to colic every time I have an exam. Just got home after 10 hours to find no poops in his litterbox. Still excited to eat though, so I'll see what happens in the next hour or two.

Best methods for cleaning my cat's water and food bowls? Out of all the things she can dirty, litterbox included, her water bowl is by far the nastiest thing, and gets dirty so fast!

It's more like one of those water jugs that I can fill weekly and it'll drip into the bowl as needed

Best methods for cleaning my cat's water and food bowls? Out of all the things she can dirty, litterbox included, her water bowl is by far the nastiest thing, and gets dirty so fast!

It's more like one of those water jugs that I can fill weekly and it'll drip into the bowl as needed

What is it made of?

I had one of those and it got so gross so quickly (my older kitty is very messy and always manages to get food or litter in the water) I got rid of it. Went back to metal bowls and dumping the water once or twice a day.

I had one of those and it got so gross so quickly (my older kitty is very messy and always manages to get food or litter in the water) I got rid of it. Went back to metal bowls and dumping the water once or twice a day.
Duly noted. I SWEAR she takes her food and dips it into her water, then forgets it's in her water. I get home and she's complaining and won't drink because there's food in her water. :lame:

Duly noted. I SWEAR she takes her food and dips it into her water, then forgets it's in her water. I get home and she's complaining and won't drink because there's food in her water. :lame:
Yup, had the same situation. I was having to clean it at least daily anyway and metal bowls are a lot quicker and easier to clean.

I have coated plastic food bowls and those just go in the top rack of the dishwasher 2x a week.

Metal water bowls are so much easier to deal with though with how slimy they get. I just wash in the dishwasher too lol and soak in part vinegar if I need to get hard water deposits off.

Metal being easier, I'd say maybe look at that over plastic.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe she's a paw drinker? My roommates cat makes horrible messes in our water bowls. Granted, she's an exotic shorthair, so half of her face has to get dunked so she can even get a drink. But yeah they get nasty. She sticks her paws in to drink that way and practically bathes in the bowls haha.

Actually, now that we bring that up....My cats' acne has practically resolved. I decided to take away the 'community' water bowl, and I really think that was the source of the breakouts. My roomie's cat still has it, but WOW have my cats healed over! There's still some sharing of bowls, but not nearly as much. Must have been a bacterial thing.

Maybe she's a paw drinker? My roommates cat makes horrible messes in our water bowls. Granted, she's an exotic shorthair, so half of her face has to get dunked so she can even get a drink. But yeah they get nasty. She sticks her paws in to drink that way and practically bathes in the bowls haha.

Actually, now that we bring that up....My cats' acne has practically resolved. I decided to take away the 'community' water bowl, and I really think that was the source of the breakouts. My roomie's cat still has it, but WOW have my cats healed over! There's still some sharing of bowls, but not nearly as much. Must have been a bacterial thing.
I hadn't even thought of that. Her food/water/litter box is tucked into a corner of my bathroom, so I've never stuck around long enough to observe.

I hadn't even thought of that. Her food/water/litter box is tucked into a corner of my bathroom, so I've never stuck around long enough to observe.
If she is, I have no idea how to prevent that unfortunately. Also, if the litterbox is close enough, she could be kicking some litter in there that is dissolvingand making the water cloudy.

Also, just an aside-my boyfriend uses those gravity waterbowls and feeders. His waterer gets a gross film on it pretty quickly, even when it's out of the sun.

I've seen collar-activated feeders, but they aren't cheap. $100 a pop or so, and then you'd want two. I want to do the same to give each cat the best food for the individual's needs, but 1. Money 2. Neither of my cats will keep a collar on for very long.

I have a microchip activated feeder and it was not cheap ($140ish) but honestly it's been one of the best purchases I've made for the cats. My older girl with IBD is super picky and prefers to graze throughout the day but if I leave food out the younger fatty with scarf it all up. I actually figured it would eventually pay for itself in that fat cat was going to be eating a ton of IBD kitty's expensive food.

Anyway, the feeder is awesome and she doesn't have to wear a collar because it reads her microchip to open!

Reactions: 1 user
I have a microchip activated feeder and it was not cheap ($140ish) but honestly it's been one of the best purchases I've made for the cats. My older girl with IBD is super picky and prefers to graze throughout the day but if I leave food out the younger fatty with scarf it all up. I actually figured it would eventually pay for itself in that fat cat was going to be eating a ton of IBD kitty's expensive food.

Anyway, the feeder is awesome and she doesn't have to wear a collar because it reads her microchip to open!
I'll look into that! Right now it's not necessarily a medical issue, just something that annoys me. And I feel bad for my slow eater.

My dog "discovered" the futon in my room this week and has been stubbornly sneaking onto it. I wouldn't care except that my female cat is not a fan; so, I have to keep an eye on them. The weird part in all this is that the female cat terrorized the dog the one and only time she followed me into the room before now. That was three years ago. The dog refused for three years to get anywhere near the room, and, magically, it's now her favorite place. <smh>
ImageUploadedBySDN1460735628.754458.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 4 users
My dog is too affectionate. He has to be cuddling me at all times. He has to lay on top of me in bed. He has to be touching me always. As someone who values personal space, this is getting really difficult.

My dog is too affectionate. He has to be cuddling me at all times. He has to lay on top of me in bed. He has to be touching me always. As someone who values personal space, this is getting really difficult.

Haha my dog and I are the opposite. She loves me but she needs her personal space where as I wanna cuddle and love her constantly.

I've pet sat for a few dogs who are like yours though, and it's definitely really annoying... How big is he?

Haha my dog and I are the opposite. She loves me but she needs her personal space where as I wanna cuddle and love her constantly.

I've pet sat for a few dogs who are like yours though, and it's definitely really annoying... How big is he?

He's 50 pounds. :dead:

I wish my dog was like that sometimes! When she's got tummy troubles, she is glued to me (that's how I know to keep a bucket handy...). She rarely lets me snuggle her, though. She's either the little spoon, by my feet, or we're back to back but touching. She values her space usually, that's for sure. She actually uses the second pillow on my bed as her head pillow. Now I'm going to cry because I'm hormonal and I miss her.

lol I had a cat like that. He used to cuddle all of the time, and even when he was mad at me he would sit next to me and delicately place one paw on my arm at all times. He hated not touching me, even if he sometimes hated me. :p

My munchkin cat is like that...actually so are a couple of my others too. I have some freaking clingy cats :p But her most of all! It only bothers me when she has to get on my chest or lap or something and then I can't move without her getting grumpy!

After wanting goldfish for an absurdly long time, I finally have some! I found a 29 gallon tank for super cheap this weekend so I went and got two oranda goldfish. Decided to name them Lenny (the chocolate one) and George (the calico) as orandas are pretty derpy looking.
image.jpeg image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    117 KB · Views: 42
Reactions: 3 users
Found two new sizable scabs on my big cat's rear right leg. No idea what happened, and he's got hair loss in the area. A vet just examined him too. I started to look at him further and I found what I'm perceiving to be clogged sebaceous glands. Just weirdness with him lately. I had to clean up a smaller scab on the back of his neck earlier this week. I attributed that one to my other cat wrestling him, but the back of his rear leg is a weird spot.

My older kitty was vomiting her midday meal a couple days in a row. So gave her I/D for a few days, vomiting stopped. Transitioned back to her normal food. And now it's back. This time with bits of fur. Looks like it was right after she thoroughly (read:excessively) groomed a few spots on her leg, back, and tail - these spots were super wet. But we're booked up at work until Monday. Really wish I could get her in sooner :(

My older kitty was vomiting her midday meal a couple days in a row. So gave her I/D for a few days, vomiting stopped. Transitioned back to her normal food. And now it's back. This time with bits of fur. Looks like it was right after she thoroughly (read:excessively) groomed a few spots on her leg, back, and tail - these spots were super wet. But we're booked up at work until Monday. Really wish I could get her in sooner :(
take her in as a drop off. She's sick. Don't wait

take her in as a drop off. She's sick. Don't wait
That was the earliest I could get her in as a drop off. We have 23 pets scheduled tomorrow and then 15 on Sunday. There's definitely no way I can get her in tomorrow but I'm going to talk to the doctor tomorrow and beg him to see her on Sunday since we'll have two VAs there all day.

My cat has decreased the amount of food she'll eat throughout the day. Just, on her own. I usually feed her a cup of food in the evening, and it's mostly gone by morning. But since the weather has gotten warmer it seems that she just doesn't eat as much. Literally nothing else about her has changed. Not her disposition, not her litterbox habits.

Has anyone else experienced something like this? Is this common in pets?

My cat has decreased the amount of food she'll eat throughout the day. Just, on her own. I usually feed her a cup of food in the evening, and it's mostly gone by morning. But since the weather has gotten warmer it seems that she just doesn't eat as much. Literally nothing else about her has changed. Not her disposition, not her litterbox habits.

Haven't really noticed it with any of mine. My male guinea pig goes through a decent seasonal weight fluctuation though.

That was the earliest I could get her in as a drop off. We have 23 pets scheduled tomorrow and then 15 on Sunday. There's definitely no way I can get her in tomorrow but I'm going to talk to the doctor tomorrow and beg him to see her on Sunday since we'll have two VAs there all day.
She hasn't thrown up or had any other symptoms since I made the appointment. It's like she knew, and then willed herself to be better. So, yay, but also, wtf.

I've actually been seeing the same in both of my cats. They're just not eating as quickly. However, my orange cat assaulted me in order to wake me up for breakfast so the appetite is definitely there.

I need to get some honest opinions about an incident that recently occurred with my dog.

I was going out to my car and my six month old pup (pictured) squeezed through the door with me. He saw a girl and immediate ran toward them in a friendly manner, which was maybe 5 feet from the door. This person's dog was in between two cars and my dog did not see him until the other dog lunged at him and got him by the throat. I ran to the dog and pried its jaws open to get my pup out. It was absolutely horrible. I thought my dog was dead, to be honest. Turns out he is ok, but we had to rush him to the emergency clinic and he has a broken jaw, a puncture wound and a heart murmur that had never been previously detected (this could be unrelated to the incident, but I feel like it's still important to note). He just got out of surgery last night and I'm picking him up today.

SO my question is: who do you think should pay for our bills? Both of our dogs were off a leash, but her dog had a shock collar on that she failed to utilize, and is much larger than my dog (she told us it was mostly lab but upon further investigation it's mostly pit bull, and she has no history on the dog as it is a rescue). I truly believe even if they had both been on leashes, had we come into contact her dog would have had mine by the throat the same way. Her dog was completely unprovoked. Animal control basically did nothing and gave us each a 25 dollar ticket. According to our landlord she may be evicted because this violates the lease agreement with pets.

I need some honest advice because we do intend to make the other dog's owner pay for at least half and I think that's more than fair. This has been really traumatizing not only for me but obviously my dog and I just want what's fair.

I dunno. Your dog wasn't on a leash either, so technically neither of you had control of your dogs and therefore it's on you as well. I realize it was an accident for him to get through the door, but since neither animal was technically under control, I'm not sure you're going to be able to make a strong case. Failing to utilize a shock collar doesn't make a huge difference in my mind since once a dog is over it's threshold, there is a good chance it wouldn't have responded to it anyway.

And you mention that the dog was unprovoked, but if it's not dog friendly, a dog appearing is sort of provoking it -- doesn't matter if it's fear based or what. That dog felt threatened and it unfortunately acted in a socially inappropriate manner but I highly doubt that it considered itself unprovoked since most animals exhibit more fear related aggression rather than true aggression.

Sorry, I just don't think you have a strong case to argue for money, but maybe others disagree.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
I dunno. Your dog wasn't on a leash either, so technically neither of you had control of your dogs and therefore it's on you as well. I realize it was an accident for him to get through the door, but since neither animal was technically under control, I'm not sure you're going to be able to make a strong case. Failing to utilize a shock collar doesn't make a huge difference in my mine since once a dog is over it's threshold, there is a good chance it wouldn't have responded to it anyway.

And you mention that the dog was unprovoked, but if it's not dog friendly, a dog appearing it is sort of provoking it -- doesn't matter if it's fear based or what. That dog felt threatened and it unfortunately acted in a socially inappropriate manner but I highly doubt that it didn't consider itself threatened since most animals exhibit more fear related aggression rather than true aggression.

Sorry, I just don't think you have a strong case to argue for money, but maybe others disagree.

Part of the issue for me as well is that if it were my dog that attacked, I would feel morally obligated to pay for the damages. I realize talking about morals is a completely different matter, but I'm also wondering what you guys think you would do if you were in this situation if it was your dog that caused the damage.

My mention of the shock collar was to point out that she knew it was an aggressive dog, yet didn't have him on a leash.

It would be different if her dog was on a leash. She he wasn't, I think paying for half is fair.

Part of the issue for me as well is that if it were my dog that attacked, I would feel morally obligated to pay for the damages. I realize talking about morals is a completely different matter, but I'm also wondering what you guys think you would do if you were in this situation if it was your dog that caused the damage.

My mention of the shock collar was to point out that she knew it was an aggressive dog, yet didn't have him on a leash.

Shock collars do not equal aggression in my mind. People use them for barking dogs, just reactive dogs ( reactive doesn't equal aggression) or I've seen it as a tool to just go with basic training when on leash.

And honestly, If my dog had done the attacking in this situation I am unsure what I would have done since neither dog was leashed. If one dog was leashed, it changes the situation entirely for me. At the very least, I probably would have at least offered to pay some (if I financially could) because I would feel bad but I don't know if I could expect everyone else to do the same.

Reactions: 1 users
I need to get some honest opinions about an incident that recently occurred with my dog.

I was going out to my car and my six month old pup (pictured) squeezed through the door with me. He saw a girl and immediate ran toward them in a friendly manner, which was maybe 5 feet from the door. This person's dog was in between two cars and my dog did not see him until the other dog lunged at him and got him by the throat. I ran to the dog and pried its jaws open to get my pup out. It was absolutely horrible. I thought my dog was dead, to be honest. Turns out he is ok, but we had to rush him to the emergency clinic and he has a broken jaw, a puncture wound and a heart murmur that had never been previously detected (this could be unrelated to the incident, but I feel like it's still important to note). He just got out of surgery last night and I'm picking him up today.

SO my question is: who do you think should pay for our bills? Both of our dogs were off a leash, but her dog had a shock collar on that she failed to utilize, and is much larger than my dog (she told us it was mostly lab but upon further investigation it's mostly pit bull, and she has no history on the dog as it is a rescue). I truly believe even if they had both been on leashes, had we come into contact her dog would have had mine by the throat the same way. Her dog was completely unprovoked. Animal control basically did nothing and gave us each a 25 dollar ticket. According to our landlord she may be evicted because this violates the lease agreement with pets.

I need some honest advice because we do intend to make the other dog's owner pay for at least half and I think that's more than fair. This has been really traumatizing not only for me but obviously my dog and I just want what's fair.
You can at least file a report with animal control if you're that concerned, but based on what you've said, she's not entirely at fault so idk that you could hold her entirely responsible financially. This was a remote activated shock collar and not an electric fence?

It depends on your city, too. My friend's dog was euthanized for doing exactly what the other dog in your story did. A dog ran up to her outside, her dog bit it, and got picked up the next morning. Your city might just tell you to leave well enough alone, they might want a bite report, they might start an investigation. Some cities do take dog bites/concerns very seriously.

Edit: Your dog did provoke the other dog, by the way. I'd say she could deserve a fine for having an unleashed dog, but honestly...your dog was the one running loose. It sounds like her dog was with his owner (although unleashed) and felt threatened by your dog. That being said, I'm glad he's okay!

Shock collars do not equal aggression in my mind. People use them for barking dogs, just reactive dogs ( reactive doesn't equal aggression) or I've seen it as a tool to just go with basic training when on leash.

And honestly, If my dog had done the attacking in this situation I am unsure what I would have done since neither dog was leashed. If one dog was leashed, it changes the situation entirely for me. At the very least, I probably would have at least offered to pay some (if I financially could) because I would feel bad but I don't know if I could expect everyone else to do the same.
You can at least file a report with animal control if you're that concerned, but based on what you've said, she's not entirely at fault so idk that you could hold her entirely responsible financially. This was a remote activated shock collar and not an electric fence?

It depends on your city, too. My friend's dog was euthanized for doing exactly what the other dog in your story did. A dog ran up to her outside, her dog bit it, and got picked up the next morning. Your city might just tell you to leave well enough alone, they might want a bite report, they might start an investigation. Some cities do take dog bites/concerns very seriously.

Yup, we both live in the same apartment complex and she had a remote controlled shock collar. She herself admitted that she knows her dogs "triggers" and that her dog is never off a leash around other dogs...

Animal control basically gave her dog a "warning" and that if it happens again it will need to have a muzzle on at all times outdoors. We certainly aren't trying to get her dog euthanized but I would absolutely hate for this to happen again.

Yup, we both live in the same apartment complex and she had a remote controlled shock collar. She herself admitted that she knows her dogs "triggers" and that her dog is never off a leash around other dogs...

Animal control basically gave her dog a "warning" and that if it happens again it will need to have a muzzle on at all times outdoors. We certainly aren't trying to get her dog euthanized but I would absolutely hate for this to happen again.
Oh of course you weren't, I understand that. I just don't think you have any legal footing here unless you can prove her dog has aggressive tendencies and she was being careless and irresponsible. You'd probably have to prove she let her dog outside, off leash, without the remote on her. Might need her veterinarian to provide a reference for/against her and so on. I know it sucks to get stuck with the bill, I just don't think you have a strong enough case to make all the stress worth it.

Out of curiosity, have you spoken to the other dog's owner about paying half your dog's bill? I wasn't sure whether she already refused or if you're anticipating a difficult conversation and trying to prepare.

Given the event described, the right thing would be for her to pay part of the bill. Whether or not she is legally obligated and can be forced to cover costs is another question.

When you do speak with her, keep in mind that she may be scared of repercussions and need to warm up to the conversation. You said that she disclosed her dog has triggers and that the landlord may evict her. If she is already in defensive mode, it will take patience to get her to hear your side of things and realize you aren't out to get her and her dog.

Out of curiosity, have you spoken to the other dog's owner about paying half your dog's bill? I wasn't sure whether she already refused or if you're anticipating a difficult conversation and trying to prepare.

Given the event described, the right thing would be for her to pay part of the bill. Whether or not she is legally obligated and can be forced to cover costs is another question.

When you do speak with her, keep in mind that she may be scared of repercussions and need to warm up to the conversation. You said that she disclosed her dog has triggers and that the landlord may evict her. If she is already in defensive mode, it will take patience to get her to hear your side of things and realize you aren't out to get her and her dog.

She was very cooperative in the beginning and offered to pay half but I haven't spoken to her since the night of the accident, and I'm not sure how she's going to feel after she finds out we are close to the $2,000 range at this point. And like you said, she may be defensive when she finds out we have spoken to the landlord. I want to be as level headed with her as possible and not accusatory.

She was very cooperative in the beginning and offered to pay half but I haven't spoken to her since the night of the accident, and I'm not sure how she's going to feel after she finds out we are close to the $2,000 range at this point. And like you said, she may be defensive when she finds out we have spoken to the landlord. I want to be as level headed with her as possible and not accusatory.
Best of luck!

Sad to say that my cat's declaw complications cannot be repaired :(:( There were no bone fragments at all, actually. His problem is that his P1/P2 are stuck in a contracted position. His x-rays were cool/sad. He's also got arthritis in his carpi, elbows, and spine already. We're going to try gabapentin and Cosequin for now, but I'm also going to take his rads to the surgery service at my school and see if more brains have any new ideas. The paw doctor also recommended looking into acupuncture, and luckily our head anesthesiologist does do some acupuncture.

Sad to say that my cat's declaw complications cannot be repaired :(:( There were no bone fragments at all, actually. His problem is that his P1/P2 are stuck in a contracted position. His x-rays were cool/sad. He's also got arthritis in his carpi, elbows, and spine already. We're going to try gabapentin and Cosequin for now, but I'm also going to take his rads to the surgery service at my school and see if more brains have any new ideas. The paw doctor also recommended looking into acupuncture, and luckily our head anesthesiologist does do some acupuncture.
:( How old is he? Poor guy, I hope the meds and acupuncture help.

:( How old is he? Poor guy, I hope the meds and acupuncture help.
He's only approaching 5 :( It broke my heart to hear that. Now all I can think about is the fact that this may lead to an early QOL concern. I hope the meds work as well, he's such a good cat.

Also, side note: I'm never traveling long distances with only him again. He practically exploded he was so stressed, he was panting and everything. He never gets like that when his sister is with him in the car since she grooms him when he starts getting worked up :love:

He's only approaching 5 :( It broke my heart to hear that. Now all I can think about is the fact that this may lead to an early QOL concern. I hope the meds work as well, he's such a good cat.

Also, side note: I'm never traveling long distances with only him again. He practically exploded he was so stressed, he was panting and everything. He never gets like that when his sister is with him in the car since she grooms him when he starts getting worked up :love:
:( it sucks that there aren't really good long-term pain control options for cats.

Awww, that's adorable :D

One of our clinic kitties is on gaba and it has been a miracle drug for her. Hopefully it works for your boy! I'm sorry the news wasn't better :(