All About Our Pets(Pics, Advice, Etc)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Very common for a small hard lump to form around the incision. Just don't let her lick or scratch it.

Fluid filled or oozing or dark red and spreading... more worrisome.

Otherwise, bouncy kitty with a bit of a suture reaction is pretty darn likely. Keep an eye on the hypothetical belly, but if it doesn't keep growing or anything, you are fine.

At the same time, if it makes you crazy nervous and you can't handle it, you can see the hypothetical cat and her hypothetical belly and know better how concerning this imaginary scenario is.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm sad. My favorite clinic kitty I had planned to adopt once my cranky old lady passes hasn't been doing well since I left (he's a very anxious kitty on meds, and two of us left at the same time and had two new people starts, and apparently all his behavior issues have gotten way worse and aren't improving) and they need to find him a new home right now :( I've been trying to talk my parents into keeping him (with me being financially responsible for him) until I can take him, but my stepdad doesn't want anymore pets in the house since our dog died right now. Having three cats in my apartment, with one of my own being cranky as well and clinic kitty being a high stress cat, just isn't doable. Otherwise I'd take him here now :(

I talked to the tech again tonight though and she said one of my favorite clients seemed like she'd be interested in taking him. She's an awesome person and I think she'd be a good fit for him. I really hope that pans out if my parents can't take him. I'm giving it one more try to see if I can convince my stepdad, and fingers crossed I can. I completely adore that cat and miss him so much :(

I'm sad. My favorite clinic kitty I had planned to adopt once my cranky old lady passes hasn't been doing well since I left (he's a very anxious kitty on meds, and two of us left at the same time and had two new people starts, and apparently all his behavior issues have gotten way worse and aren't improving) and they need to find him a new home right now :( I've been trying to talk my parents into keeping him (with me being financially responsible for him) until I can take him, but my stepdad doesn't want anymore pets in the house since our dog died right now. Having three cats in my apartment, with one of my own being cranky as well and clinic kitty being a high stress cat, just isn't doable. Otherwise I'd take him here now :(

I talked to the tech again tonight though and she said one of my favorite clients seemed like she'd be interested in taking him. She's an awesome person and I think she'd be a good fit for him. I really hope that pans out if my parents can't take him. I'm giving it one more try to see if I can convince my stepdad, and fingers crossed I can. I completely adore that cat and miss him so much :(

Hopefully something will work out :(

Members don't see this ad :)
In happier news my old ladies are currently sleeping only a few inches apart :love:One is curled up on the pillow next to me and the other is curled up at my side next to it.

Two months ago at my parents they were rarely even in the same room, and when they were there were often hisses and cranky kitty chasing her sister away. That's how it had been for years and I wasn't sure if I'd be able to have them both in my tiny apartment. Makes me so happy they're getting along so well here :love:

The first few weeks were awful, but then all of a sudden a month ago they started both sleeping in here and it's just gotten better since. I don't know why, but it's the best.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Hopefully something will work out :(

I hope so :( if nothing else, I really hope that client can take him if I can't. She's such a lovely person and I know she'd take great care of him. just going to miss him a bunch.

First black Cochin mama has started hatching out her babies! Daddy is an Americana so we should get some pretty olive colored eggs from the girls when they grow up!

We have at least one black and these two browns so far. Nine eggs, we'll see!
20160928_171427.jpg
They have little fluffy feet and cheek tufts!

Reactions: 9 users
Well it focused on mama more, but a better cheek and beard and fluffy foot pic.
20160928_172154.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
I'm so glad I got her! She's super sweet and totally at ease. She isn't bothered by my cats at all, and my cats don't care about her so last night and today when I've been home and up I've had her just free ranging and it hasn't been a problem. She's also totally litter box trained all ready, to the point where she used one of the cat boxes because hers was too far away :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
I'm so glad I got her! She's super sweet and totally at ease. She isn't bothered by my cats at all, and my cats don't care about her so last night and today when I've been home and up I've had her just free ranging and it hasn't been a problem. She's also totally litter box trained all ready, to the point where she used my one of the cat boxes because hers was too far away :laugh:
Ahhh this sounds so perfect and adorable and I really want a bun

Ahhh this sounds so perfect and adorable and I really want a bun

I had been wanting a bunny for so long, and when the shelter said she wasn't bothered by cats I was like ITS A SIGN I SHOULD GET HER :laugh:

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This little one is the only way I am keeping my sanity right now.
ImageUploadedBySDN1475120047.144879.jpg
ImageUploadedBySDN1475120065.709276.jpg

Reactions: 9 users
I loves chicks, buns, and kittens!!!! Keep 'em comin'! :biglove:

I'm so glad I got her! She's super sweet and totally at ease. She isn't bothered by my cats at all, and my cats don't care about her so last night and today when I've been home and up I've had her just free ranging and it hasn't been a problem. She's also totally litter box trained all ready, to the point where she used one of the cat boxes because hers was too far away :laugh:

Omg you guys :love::love::love::love::love:

YAAASSSSS :love:

Maybe I missed the original story but who is this kitten and are you keeping him/her?

Yep! She's all mine. Her name is Koda. :) She was an orphan kitten at an animal welfare about an hour from where I am. I got her at about sixish weeks old when she weighed a whole 1.3 pounds and had a horrible uri. I fostered her for three weeks and then adopted her. She's around 11 weeks now. One of my good friends also adopted a kitten, so we have kitten play dates and it's adorable.

Reactions: 5 users
One day your cats can be like mine, who barges into the bathroom when I'm using the toilet to lay in the tub and wait for me
image.jpeg

Reactions: 7 users
Sometimes I get out of the shower and both cats are sitting there waiting for me. Boy cat is the more intrusive one though. He gets upset if I completely close the door while I'm in the bathroom, if I'm using the toilet he jumps up on the tank, and sometimes when I'm in the shower he'll poke his head in to see what's up.

Tesla fell partway into the tub while stalking me from the edge a couple months after getting her and hasn't come near it since.

Twining around my feet while I'm on the toilet is a favourite of both of them though. Even better if they try to situate themselves on my pants... :rolleyes:

Sometimes I get out of the shower and both cats are sitting there waiting for me. Boy cat is the more intrusive one though. He gets upset if I completely close the door while I'm in the bathroom, if I'm using the toilet he jumps up on the tank, and sometimes when I'm in the shower he'll poke his head in to see what's up.

For whatever reason my cat is also always sitting there waiting for me when I shower/use the restroom. If I or someone else closes the bathroom door with me inside, my cat will screech until someone lets him in. So now every time I go home for a holiday my parents actually thinks something is wrong now if I don't place him in the bathroom before I shower lol.

First black Cochin mama has started hatching out her babies! Daddy is an Americana so we should get some pretty olive colored eggs from the girls when they grow up!

We have at least one black and these two browns so far. Nine eggs, we'll see!View attachment 209423They have little fluffy feet and cheek tufts!

:love: My chicken-raising friend down the road has Cochins (among others) and the cheek tufts get me every time!

Twining around my feet while I'm on the toilet is a favourite of both of them though. Even better if they try to situate themselves on my pants... :rolleyes:
I get a cat on my shoulders, one on my lap, and one in my pants. Lucky for me, cat #4 hasn't yet figured out how to join in the fun.

:love: My chicken-raising friend down the road has Cochins (among others) and the cheek tufts get me every time!
The Cochin are balls of feathers with fluffy feet. The daddy is the Americana (a relative of the Auricana, but they have tails because it is a rare recessive trait that was bred out in the US). The Americana has cheek tufts and a beard. But I suppose the Cochin are sooo round and fluffy, they kinda look like they have round apple cheeks too.

Cochin lay brown eggs. Americanas lay pink, green, or blue. So together, most often the babies will lay olive colored eggs.

Fighting the strong urge to get another kitty to add to the group..... (Can you guess what color new kitty would be?)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    59.3 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    59.9 KB · Views: 43
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    82 KB · Views: 43
IMG_0064.JPG

Someone likes their new cage <3

This morning she accidentally jumped on the cranky cat (she was trying to jump over and cranky moved so she landed on her), so now Emy hates her. So much for the cats not minding her :laugh:

Reactions: 7 users
There's a tortoiseshell male at the humane society near me, and it's taking practically everything in my power not to go adopt him.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

The Cochin are balls of feathers with fluffy feet. The daddy is the Americana (a relative of the Auricana, but they have tails because it is a rare recessive trait that was bred out in the US). The Americana has cheek tufts and a beard. But I suppose the Cochin are sooo round and fluffy, they kinda look like they have round apple cheeks too.

Cochin lay brown eggs. Americanas lay pink, green, or blue. So together, most often the babies will lay olive colored eggs.

Hmm...she has both Americanas and Cochins and I swore the cheek tufts were the Cochins! But yes, she gets the various colored eggs :)

My sister's hamster died last night (unknown causes, no warning that I'm aware of). She'd only had her a little less than a year. RIP Tulip :(
This may be an absurd question but can you take a hamster to a veterinarian?

When I was like 9 my hamster had a heart attack or something (fell off his little wheel) and he was just laying there barley breathing, I was in tears. I woke my dad up and said we need to take him the the vet. His response: "we cant take a hamster to the vet, there's nothing we can do for him." ... He the proceeded to pump his little tummy and then the little guy died.

Is this true or was my childhood structured around complete lies?

Also, sorry about Tulip.

Last edited:
My sister's hamster died last night (unknown causes, no warning that I'm aware of). She'd only had her a little less than a year. RIP Tulip :(

Aww, I'm sorry WZ. And for your sister :( the worst part about the little guys is they're with us for so little time :( I hope your sister is doing okay, that's such a shock.

When I was like 9 my hamster had a heart attack or something (fell off his little wheel) and he was just laying there barley breathing, I was in tears. I woke my dad up and said we need to take him the the vet. His response: "we cant take a hamster to the vet, there's nothing we can do for him." ... He the proceeded to pump his little tummy and then the little guy died.

Also, sorry about Tulip.
You can take a hamster to the vet.

Also, sorry about Tulip.

Yes. Exotic veterinarians see pocket pets, and some small animal veterinarians will as well, at the very least to euthanize.

Not the most appropriate time to ask though on a post about someone's pet dying.

Also, sorry about Tulip.
A few vets will see hamsters. Not all will. The cost is often the problem. Even if an exam was the cheap $30 affair, most people will do the math and think: I can buy 6 more or bring this one in to the vet. (Plus treatment and meds also cost money.) It's not fair. But it is the way these things seem to go.

I have had a few rats and hamsters and other 'low cost' pets brought in, but often it was because the owner was commited. A few of these were even long term health care situations. They made me so proud of the owners and their bond with the critters!

Edit to add: As prey animals, many times these guys hide symptoms, so it can be very tough to spot when they are I'll before it is too late.

Last edited:
Sorry WZ.

I will always remember my pet hamster Squeakers. I know how they worm their way into your heart.:(

A few vets will see hamsters. Not all will. The cost is often the problem. Even if an exam was the cheap $30 affair, most people will do the math and think: I can buy 6 more or bring this one in to the vet. (Plus treatment and meds also cost money.) It's not fair. But it is the way these things seem to go.

I have had a few rats and hamsters and other 'low cost' pets brought in, but often it was because the owner was commited. A few of these were even long term health care situations. They made me so proud of the owners and their bond with the critters!
I understand this argument, but I can buy so many dogs for the cost of treating one dog. It's a matter of how much importance/value we place on the animal. Hopefully things are starting to change.

I understand this argument, but I can buy so many dogs for the cost of treating one dog. It's a matter of how much importance/value we place on the animal. Hopefully things are starting to change.

My rats where all a $10 adoption fee from the HS and I didn't even bat an eye spaying all my girls for $150 each or all the countless visits for my boy with chronic URI's even though people thought it was ridiculous. I've never understood people with the "why fix this one when I can buy another?" mindset. I've known some people that applied it to all animals, not just pocket pets and the like. It's just so foreign to me.

Last edited:
Yes. Exotic veterinarians see pocket pets, and some small animal veterinarians will as well, at the very least to euthanize.

Not the most appropriate time to ask though on a post about someone's pet dying.

I had something in common with WildZoo (losing a hamster), and then brought up a question in regards to it. Don't see how that came off as inappropriate.

Maybe I'm wrong.

Our big private practice exotics person in the area likes to point out that most people pay more for their pocket pets (actually, their exotic companion mammals - this is a notable point with him) than they do for a cat. Cats are usually free!

My rats where all a $10 adoption fee from the HS and I didn't even bat an eye spaying all my girls for $150 each or all the countless visits for my boy with chronic URI's even though people thought it was ridiculous. I've never understood people with the "why fix this one when I can buy another?" mindset. I've known some people that applied it to all animals, not just pocket pets and the like. It's just so foreign to me.
I know! Totally agree. I feel like it's really because people haven't placed value that's not monetary on most pets other than dogs/cats/etc.

It's not my mindset.

I just have heard it very very frequently. Occasionally someone would show up at the vet or worse at the ER and we would explain vet appt and cost and most people would leave pissed off that "we had wasted their time." A few would opt to have us euthanize. (The first 2 vet clinics offered a decreased price for Pocket pets, around $5-15.) An even fewer would have us proceed with exam and treatment. (And one of those was mad after, saying he thought "we were kidding about pricing for the exam because he could have bought a whole store full for the same price!" At 3 am on a Saturday)

Some of those rare few were caring for pocket pets with diabetes or cancer. We did an amputation on a gerbil and chemo on a rat.

I understand where other people come from, but those die hards...:love: