Alliant (CSPP) PsyD in San Diego

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MikeD677

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently got invited to an interview at the Alliant PsyD program in San Diego. However the interview is for May 9th and all of the other schools I've applied to had a deadline of April 15th to decide if I would be attending. Initially when I was applying to PsyD Programs throughout California I thought the Alliant SD would be one of my top choices. However after reading some negative remarks regarding the Alliant SD PsyD program and the fact that they want to interview me so late, I've been pretty skeptic if I even want to interview there. Also there is the fact that I live in Northern California and have already put down a deposit for attending the Wright Institute in Berkeley. What can people tell me about the Alliant SD PsyD Program? Is it worth me going to the interview?

Members don't see this ad.

Please do a search, as this program has been covered at length before.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=498617
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=140744
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=431694
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=498972 (Wright vs. CSPP SF)
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=185054 (Wright vs. CSPP SD)

ps. Welcome to the forum.

pss. Given the choice, I'd choose The Wright Institute........though neither have great internship placement (outside of CA). The research seems pretty non-existant at TWI, so keep that in mind.

Last edited:
I guess I am just curious why they are doing their interviews so late. Do you think this reflects their program?

Members don't see this ad :)
I assume you turned in your application on time? If so, it is possible you weren't selected for the initial interview process and they had alot of declines to their offers and now they have to fill their quota for incoming students. Please be advised this is just conjecture. However, I do know lots of people decline them and they do scramble to get students to meet a quota, since their operating costs depend on student tuition dollars

Before I get into, please know that even though I spent a ton of money and time into the program, I got out towards the end of it because I couldn't stomach AIU's garbage education anymore. The PsyD program is a JOKE. In LA, they have no full time faculty specifically in the school/ed psych program. Their instructors are recent graduates of the same crappy program they're teaching you. The curriculum has been modified so much since its inception in 1999. The school advertised a "neuropsych" orientation and that students would be allowed to sit in for the license exam. This was not true! I can't speak for AIU's other program. However, I've done a little research and the findings indicate that CSPP (former name of AIU-long story here) has one of the lowest passing rates for first time license test takers. PLEASE DON'T MAKE THE MISTAKE I DID! Do not consider AIU. You won't get anything but an empty feeling and a diploma that is anything but respected. :luck:

However, I've done a little research and the findings indicate that CSPP (former name of AIU-long story here) has one of the lowest passing rates for first time license test takers.

What research is that? Because ASPPB reports that the mean score for AIU students is well in the passing range.

California EPPP statistics
http://www.psychboard.ca.gov/exams/200701-20071231eppp.pdf

Alliant University, San Diego

54 Attempted in 2007
37 Passed in 2007

WRIGHT INSTITUTE, BERKELEY
49 Attempted in 2007
31 Passed in 2007

Seems like neither is stellar. However there are other schools that did worse. Ryokan, for instance, had a near 50% pass rate.

what Research Is That? Because Asppb Reports That The Mean Score For Aiu Students Is Well In The Passing Range.

Last edited by a moderator:
California EPPP statistics
http://www.psychboard.ca.gov/exams/200701-20071231eppp.pdf

Alliant University, San Diego

54 Attempted in 2007
37 Passed in 2007

WRIGHT INSTITUTE, BERKELEY
49 Attempted in 2007
31 Passed in 2007

Seems like neither is stellar. However there are other schools that did worse. Ryokan, for instance, had a near 50% pass rate.

Ryokan has a website that looks like my 11 year old did it. Not that that has anything to do with EPPP scores. Just funny.

I recently got invited to an interview at the Alliant PsyD program in San Diego. However the interview is for May 9th and all of the other schools I've applied to had a deadline of April 15th to decide if I would be attending. Initially when I was applying to PsyD Programs throughout California I thought the Alliant SD would be one of my top choices. However after reading some negative remarks regarding the Alliant SD PsyD program and the fact that they want to interview me so late, I've been pretty skeptic if I even want to interview there. Also there is the fact that I live in Northern California and have already put down a deposit for attending the Wright Institute in Berkeley. What can people tell me about the Alliant SD PsyD Program? Is it worth me going to the interview?

Hi Mike,

I think I can help you out a bit because I was going back and forth this summer with my acceptance to CIIS and Alliant San Diego for A PsyD in clinical psychology. I already have my master's so I'm attending just to finish up my doctorate. I wanted to go to CIIS, but could not afford it so I decided San Diego Alliant. They were able to transfer around 18 units for me, which was great, however I have had some bad experiences with them and I literally just finished my second week of the program. Let me elaborate. I am currently living in LA and trying to find a place in SD so I have been commuting to attend school. FYI, LA Alliant won't transfer any units, I interviewed with them too.

Once I made my decision to attend I started getting things together to start waiving courses so I knew what to register for. The program assistant/coordinator Larissa Dizon was the one to speak with about all this. At first she was on top of the game, but I started noticing that she would not get back to me, I would have to hound her down with emails to get an answer and when she finally replied, she would state that she never received my emails (this happened no joke about 6 times for the same thing). After two months, she still didn't answer any of my questions, did not assist me with knowing what to register for so I had to begin school with only 7 units(one unit shy to receive my federal perkins loan), and when I wanted to meet with her in person, she wouldn't respond to my emails until I CCéd her supervisor along with my emails. When I finally met with her she was friendly, but seemed annoyed at all my questions (which pissed me off, her job is to assist students) and I found out later that most of the information she gave me was incorrect. That's just her.

Now, I was trying to get a stats course waived that I had already taken, they gave it to the stats professor to review and he declined it. When I asked for the reason he told me he did not see correlations and regression in the course schedule. I told him that they were in the curriculum and to look at the books required (one was called correlations and regression analyses) and the description stated so as well. He still declined and responded with "I'm tired of your emails". I responded back nicely and asked him to stay professional while we figure this out and sent some coursework involving such things as proof and he responded with this:
"All the input I have received is unable to convince me that you should get a waiver. I do not see any point in continuing our interchange, which I find somewhat unpleasant. So please take your case elsewhere. You are not my student and I do not owe you my time. Suresh Kanekar"

You can look up these names as proof that these are actual professors there. I don't know about you, but that is bull**** to me! I went to the program director Dr. Neil Ribner and forwarded the email, he pretty much defended the professor. I then asked for a meeting to speak with him in person about it and though Dr. Ribner was very nice and understanding, he did nothing to relieve the situation, all he said is he would talk to him, which basically means a slap on the wrist, if he is even going to really talk to him. I took it more like he was trying to calm me down before things got worse and said whatever I wanted to hear. What should have occurred was an apology from the professor to ensure the schools protection towards students, but nothing. Go to Wright! CSPP is nothing professional at all, they treated me horribly and seriously, I'm only on week two and retracting my acceptance. If they have no respect for students then I'm not going into debt for them! Hope that helped with your decision. Oh and yes, the school is very old, the main building is crappy looking inside, but the campus is beautiful and pleasant.

Pros: Private school so there is cheap parking permits, always parking, never any traffic coming and going to school and basically its the most quietest school ever which is really nice when comparing it to huge universities. Walking around its like your the only one on campus, which I liked. The library is smaller but still nice with a lot of room to sit and work and again they transferred units, some with a fight, but still.

Last edited:
Hi Mike,

I think I can help you out a bit because I was going back and forth this summer with my acceptance to CIIS and Alliant San Diego for A PsyD in clinical psychology. I already have my master's so I'm attending just to finish up my doctorate. I wanted to go to CIIS, but could not afford it so I decided San Diego Alliant. They were able to transfer around 18 units for me, which was great, however I have had some bad experiences with them and I literally just finished my second week of the program. Let me elaborate. I am currently living in LA and trying to find a place in SD so I have been commuting to attend school.

Once I made my decision to attend I started getting things together to start waiving courses so I knew what to register for. The program assistant/coordinator Larissa Dizon was the one to speak with about all this. At first she was on top of the game, but I started noticing that she would not get back to me, I would have to hound her down with emails to get an answer and when she finally replied, she would state that she never received my emails (this happened no joke about 6 times for the same thing). By the time school started, she still didn't answer any of my questions, did not assist me with knowing what to register for so I had to begin school with only 6 units, and when I wanted to meet with her in person, she wouldn't respond to me emails until I CCéd her supervisor along with my emails. When I finally met with her she was friendly, but seemed annoyed at all my questions and I found out later that most of the information she gave me was incorrect. That's just her.

Now, I was trying to get a stats course waived that I had already taken, they gave it to the stats professor to review and he declined it. When I asked for the reason he told me he did not see correlations and regression in the course schedule. I told him that they were in the curriculum and to look at the books required (one was called correlations and regression analyses) and the description stated so as well. He still declined and responded with "I'm tired of your emails". I responded back nicely and asked him to stay professional while we figure this out and sent source work involving such things as proof and he responded with this:
"All the input I have received is unable to convince me that you should get a waiver. I do not see any point in continuing our interchange, which I find somewhat unpleasant. So please take your case elsewhere. You are not my student and I do not owe you my time. Suresh Kanekar"

You can look up these names as proof that these are actual professors there. I don't know about you, but that is bull**** to me! I went to the program director Dr. Neil Ribner and forwarded the email, he pretty much defended the professor. I then asked for a meeting to speak with him in person about it because I upset about how rude he was and though Dr. Ribner was very nice and understanding, he did nothing to relieve the situation, all he said is he would talk to him, which basically means a slap on the wrist, if he is even going to really talk to him. I took it more like he was trying to calm me down before things got worse and said whatever I wanted to hear. What should have occurred was an apology from the professor to ensure the schools protection towards students, but nothing. Go to Wright! CSPP is nothing professional at all, they treated me horribly and seriously, I'm only on week two and retracting my acceptance. If they have no respect for students then I'm not going into debt for them! Hoep that helped with your decision. Oh and yes, the school is very old.

Pros: Private school so there is cheap parking permits, always parking, never any traffic coming and going to school and basically its the most quietest school ever which is really nice when comparing it to huge universities. You can walk around and its private and beautiful. Other than that, they suck!

Yes, when I am trying to show my comittment to learning and being the best psychologist I can, I always start by repeated demands to get out of work even though I was told no. Good thinking, kid.

Not sure if your comment is genuine, but I'm getting the sense of sarcasm so I'll say this. We all have our own standards and expectations of the institutions we choose to attend, what I consider par you may not. However, contesting a decision does not constitute laziness or lack of commitment, repeating work is redundant if you haven't heard! The workload is still there regardless of one course being waived, or did you not know that obtaining a degree takes years?

Part of being a good psychologist is knowing where to draw the line, if you don't mind being bent over at ever turn, maybe you should consider turning tricks for a living and I'm not a kid, so save your bull**** for someone else.

Reactions: 1 user
Not sure if your comment is genuine, but I'm getting the sense of sarcasm so I'll say this. We all have our own standards and expectations of the institutions we choose to attend, what I consider par you may not. However, contesting a decision does not constitute laziness or lack of commitment, repeating work is redundant if you haven't heard! The workload is still there regardless of one course being waived, or did you not know that obtaining a degree takes years?

Part of being a good psychologist is knowing where to draw the line, if you don't mind being bent over at ever turn, maybe you should consider turning tricks for a living and I'm not a kid, so save your bull**** for someone else.

Yes, the comment was directed you. Yes, you accurately picked up on the sarcasm.

I disagree that it's bull****, however. Generally, I prefer my graduate students to not feel entitled to opting out of classes if I feel mine offers more or different. And It's not your decision. It's mine (or program). Well within a professors right (ie,. academic freedom). He said no. Move on. This is not a good first impression strategy you are doing here.

Just because one is paying a gazillion dollars for a doctorate doesnt mean the traditional rules of academia change.

Last edited:
It is also the right for a student to contest any decision, this is not a totalitarian society and neither is academia, every student has the right for an appeal that they see as unfair, being a professor does not make you right all the time, that's common sense. You speak of traditional, traditionally speaking there should be some sort of professionalism required from all faculty/staff when dealing with students, isn't that expected of students? Being a professor does not give you the right to treat others rudely or inferior, at the end of the day titles mean nothing and if you got in this for some sort of a power trip then I hope to God you are not a psychologist, that's all we need, another egotistical professional that sees their perspective as the only truth. Forget the profession, field and title, every human being is wrong, judgmental, and incompetent at some point in time, being unwilling to admit to that isn't a traditional approach to academia, it is adolescent.

My previous university was stellar and I expect nothing short of that. They valued opinions and discussions, not to just sit, smile and say yes to everything, again, we are in a professional setting and part of becoming competent in your field is knowing right from wrong and I'm sorry, but saying yes to everything just shows insecurity, dependence, and the inability to stand on your own two feet; I definitely don't want advice from someone like that. Instead of wasting time with sarcasm to a comment that was given for assistance for someone else, and we all know what that type of characteristic means, use your time to be helpful if you view yourself in such high regard.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is also the right for a student to contest any decision, this is not a totalitarian society and neither is academia, every student has the right for an appeal that they see as unfair, being a professor does not make you right all the time, that's common sense. You speak of traditional, traditionally speaking there should be some sort of professionalism required from all faculty/staff when dealing with students, isn't that expected of students? Being a professor does not give you the right to treat others rudely or inferior, at the end of the day titles mean nothing and if you got in this for some sort of a power trip then I hope to God you are not a psychologist, that's all we need, another egotistical professional that sees their perspective as the only truth. Forget the profession, field and title, every human being is wrong, judgmental, and incompetent at some point in time, being unwilling to admit to that isn't a traditional approach to academia, it is adolescent.

My previous university was stellar and I expect nothing short of that. They valued opinions and discussions, not to just sit, smile and say yes to everything, again, we are in a professional setting and part of becoming competent in your field is knowing right from wrong and I'm sorry, but saying yes to everything just shows insecurity, dependence, and the inability to stand on your own two feet; I definitely don't want advice from someone like that. Instead of wasting time with sarcasm to a comment that was given for assistance for someone else, and we all know what that type of characteristic means, use your time to be helpful if you view yourself in such high regard.

He said no. Its his class. Move on. This is not a good first impression strategy you are doing here. If you don't think first impressions are important in graduate school, as well as in this profession at large (or any other for that matter), you have a lot to learn. That's probably what prompted the "kid" qualifier...

My advice that you should have let this go is meant for your future assistance. And its good advice.

Yes, I am a practicing psychologist and faculty member.

And again, its the notion that this is all a little soon. Slow down. When I get argumentative and/or challenging emails from students BEFORE the first day of class, I get worried. I get worried that they want in.... and they want out. I get worried they are not a "go getter." I get worried they don't respect my role as professor and their role as student. I get worried that they dont have an openness to learning. You don't want professors thinking any of this about their grad students. Ever. Its bad.

Last edited:
And again, its the notion that this is all a little soon. Slow down. When I get argumentative and/or challenging emails from students BEFORE the first day of class, I get worried. I get worried that they want in.... and they want out. I get worried they are not a "go getter." I get worried they don't respect my role as professor and their role as student. I get worried that they do have an openness to learning. You don't want professors thinking any of this about their grad students. Ever. Its bad.

Hahaha Talk about moving on, you have trouble letting things go as well I see. Being in school to learn and advance, not stand in the same spot, is what we expect and part of learning is questioning things, even the competence of a professor, because they have the job doesn't mean they are competent. That's why student evaluations exist obviously!

Stifling a student because they have a lot of questions or won't let up on something is a reflection of your poor judgement not the students and what a sad thing that is to be in a position to get such students and instead of using that strong mind and building on it in a constructive way, if young enough, you destroy that ambition (these are the go-getters if not more). Those types of professors are threatened by that and unfortunately are ruining a great mind due to their own shortcomings. I cannot stand professors like that, go home! Tradition, openness to learn, and saying yes??? Allowing no room for change means there is a closed mind, which in turn provides no room for growth. We learn until the day we die so how dare you say you know all and that a professor could never be wrong or questioned. You need to grow up. Your fear of those students is your own insecurity and you should not be in that position.

You are so concerned with first impressions, I'm more concerned with my own impressions and for Alliant, they did not give a good impression, it's a two way street. I'm stating my experience for those to see. If you have a problem with it, take it up with the site to remove my comment :)

By the way, I wasn't the one asking for advice and if I was it would not be yours. This is a thread to a question, being helpful was for the other individual, but I can see you even have issues with reading and writing more than 4 sentences so I could imagine the amount of error in your responses.

By the way, I wasn't the one asking for advice and if I was it would not be yours. This is a thread to a question, being helpful was for the other individual, but I can see you even have issues with reading and writing more than 4 sentences so I could imagine the amount of error in your responses.

You do realize the OP started this thread in 2008, right? I think he's probably come to a decision by now.

Hahaha Talk about moving on, you have trouble letting things go as well I see. Being in school to learn and advance, not stand in the same spot, is what we expect and part of learning is questioning things, even the competence of a professor, because they have the job doesn't mean they are competent. That's why student evaluations exist obviously!

Stifling a student because they have a lot of questions or won't let up on something is a reflection of your poor judgement not the students and what a sad thing that is to be in a position to get such students and instead of using that strong mind and building on it in a constructive way, if young enough, you destroy that ambition (these are the go-getters if not more). Those types of professors are threatened by that and unfortunately are ruining a great mind due to their own shortcomings. I cannot stand professors like that, go home! Tradition, openness to learn, and saying yes??? Allowing no room for change means there is a closed mind, which in turn provides no room for growth. We learn until the day we die so how dare you say you know all and that a professor could never be wrong or questioned. You need to grow up. Your fear of those students is your own insecurity and you should not be in that position.

You are so concerned with first impressions, I'm more concerned with my own impressions and for Alliant, they did not give a good impression, it's a two way street. I'm stating my experience for those to see. If you have a problem with it, take it up with the site to remove my comment :)

"Destroy ambition" "Ruining a great mind" Don't be such a drama queen...

It's a privilege to be allowed to waive a class in a doctoral curriculum. It's not a right and it's not an entitlement. If I say no and provide a rationale, I expect my authority to be respected in that regard. The fact that you find it so shocking and terrible that this professor bluntly told you to stop this has me worried that you are pretty naive to the working world that you desire to be a part of. Not everything comes with a "please" or a cherry on top. I (and likley most of us) probably would have been more gentle in my response than the professor in question, but I'm not sure its "rude" or disrespectful. And even so, you will encounter all kinds of personalities in the course of your training and career - professors, supervisors, coworkers, AND patients. Some will be maternal, some gruff, some will be grouchy. This is life. This is the world. You will not be able to fight every perceived slight. And if you do, you won't make it.

With regards to being helpful, your ultimate conclusion was far from helpful, as you suggested the poster (from 6 years ago btw) "go to wright." I can't imagine what data lead you to this conclusion? Every available metric, from their c20, to their match rate, to their EPPP pass rate, tells me it's a subpar program when compared to others. So, no. You weren't being "helpful" either.

Last edited:
Erg is right that profs get the final say in waivers, generally, but that reply does seem rude.

However, if this is how you respond to people disagreeing with you (posting the professor's and others' names on this board, having a fit at erg for disagreeing with you), you're pretty clearly at least half the problem in the interaction. I don't actually believe that the prof's email response was unprovoked, after your reaction here.

Ok, well perhaps that professor is a bit harsh.

Just read this very gentle bashing of anyone who believes that you don't turn to worm food when you die. Apparently my Catholic faith makes me, ipso facto, and idiot. Who knew? Seems to have served pretty well so far though...

http://www.scienceandculture-isna.org/july-aug10/04 Suresh Kanekar.pdf

Last edited:
Hahaha look at the end of the day I'm sorry your experiences in graduate school have been so limited and one sided, but your experiences do not justify every school and every experience that graduates are going to have and you need to understand that. There are schools out there, I've been to two, that do operate in a different manner and your perspective isn't the "say all be all path" to graduate school, again your very closed minded in your approach towards things and it's unfortunate that this is your standing and experience. I know what is out there and there is nooooo way in hell that any student should settle for anything less than par. It's a business and students are the customers, without them no one would get paid and people seem to forget that.

I work in the field, I conduct individualized therapy and my two mentors are the director of my previous program and the department chair, even with my "aggressive demeanor" everything is fine, if anything they use it to their advantage, as they should. Again, we have had very different experiences and you stating that this is the way just tells me how fortunate I have been with the colleges and the professors I have had as mentors. I wish the same for you. I have spoken with my mentors about this and they all say the same thing, not worth my time or money so I'm going to take their advice instead of yours so don't tell me this is just how it is and I'll be sure to let every student I come across that your view is incorrect.

MC parent this is a forum and I'm allowed to state my experiences and I'm okay with calling out names, I'm not sure why you have an issue with my decisions and honestly I don't really care. Their names need to be called out because they are doing things wrong, plain and simple and I have no regrets. It's really funny how people see things one sided, you see my responses and say I'm aggressive hahahahaha and ERG having to put in his two cents to my thread for no reason and come off with sarcasm calling me a kid like he is so superior, but that is justified? Yeah, okay I'm the one that's aggressive and prompted all of this lmao Hey I'm going to throw stones at you and if you try and fight it I'm going to say your aggressive and inappropriate HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA you guys are too funny!

Have a wonderful day everyone and I wish you the best in your future. I hope you all don't just settle and aren't afraid to really see what options are out there for you. Good luck!

Hahaha look at the end of the day I'm sorry your experiences in graduate school have been so limited and one sided, but your experiences do not justify every school and every experience that graduates are going to have and you need to understand that. There are schools out there, I've been to two, that do operate in a different manner and your perspective isn't the "say all be all path" to graduate school, again your very closed minded in your approach towards things and it's unfortunate that this is your standing and experience. I know what is out there and there is nooooo way in hell that any student should settle for anything less than par. It's a business and students are the customers, without them no one would get paid and people seem to forget that.

This paragraph really doesn't make any sense, so I'm not sure what your trying to say.

As far as the quality of those programs (Alliant and Wright), they are obviously performing lower than other (university-based) programs. The data is what it is. What metrics/data are using?

Psychological scientists typically use data when forming conclusions and providing subsequent recommendations (not sure what data you are using), so here is an example of the data I am talking about. I can go on about EPPP pass rates and employment figures for these programs too if you like?

Here is Alliant LA PsyD, for example. Here is the # of students that even registered for APPIC match:

2011 - 12
2012 - 14
2013 - 33
2014 - 40

Here is the C-20 data from their website (http://www.alliant.edu/documents/cspp/domain-g/lapsyddomaing.pdf):

2011 - 136
2012 - 99
2013 - 65
2014 - not yet posted

Just using this single-case example, for an accredited program, only about 20% of students even registered for the match between 2011 & 2013. Out of those, only 13 students matched to an accredited internship (4.3%, now that is a telling statistic).

Alliant San Diego PsyD has similar poor numbers: 24% registered for match and 5.2% matched to accredited positions.

I work in the field, I conduct individualized therapy and my two mentors are the director of my previous program and the department chair, even with my "aggressive demeanor" everything is fine, if anything they use it to their advantage, as they should. Again, we have had very different experiences and you stating that this is the way just tells me how fortunate I have been with the colleges and the professors I have had as mentors. I wish the same for you. I have spoken with my mentors about this and they all say the same thing, not worth my time or money so I'm going to take their advice instead of yours so don't tell me this is just how it is and I'll be sure to let every student I come across that your view is incorrect.

This is more "drama queenness..."

MC parent this is a forum and I'm allowed to state my experiences and I'm okay with calling out names, I'm not sure why you have an issue with my decisions and honestly I don't really care. Their names need to be called out because they are doing things wrong, plain and simple and I have no regrets. It's really funny how people see things one sided, you see my responses and say I'm aggressive hahahahaha and ERG having to put in his two cents to my thread for no reason and come off with sarcasm calling me a kid like he is so superior, but that is justified? Yeah, okay I'm the one that's aggressive and prompted all of this lmao Hey I'm going to throw stones at you and if you try and fight it I'm going to say your aggressive and inappropriate HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA you guys are too funny!

Have a wonderful day everyone and I wish you the best in your future. I hope you all don't just settle and aren't afraid to really see what options are out there for you. Good luck!

If this is your typical reaction to reasonable disagreements, then I have to agree with McParent's hypothesis about how/why your email exchange with this professor got to the point that it did. You are likely 50% or more of the problem in the aforementioned situation.

Last edited:
lmfao you are so bothered by me it's hilarious. Aren't you a professor and working as a psychologist, don't you have anything to do other than this lmfao lmfao its so sad

lmfao you are so bothered by me it's hilarious. Aren't you a professor and working as a psychologist, don't you have anything to do other than this lmfao lmfao its so sad

Its Saturday. VA is M-F 8-4. Wife and kiddos are out of town. I am doing some medical necessity reviews though in the home office.

Since you obviously have time as well, I am happy to debate the data presented in my above response, if you like.

Last edited:

We are all here to support each other while discussing psychology and academics. If someone takes a lot of time to research or discuss ideas which relates to their field, I do not understand why this would seen as "so sad."

Wow! All I can say is that you do not sound like a graduate student in psychology. I hope that you comport yourself with more professionalism in the real world. Do you have no respect for anyone? The people whose opinions you are discounting out of hand are licensed professionals with a few more years of experience than yourself. Just maybe they know a few things that you don't and you might actually learn from their experience.

Reactions: 1 users

I can't quote all your posts because there are so many, so I decided to quote just the last one.

Yeah don't ever let someone talk you out of your program or transferring things. It is our right, and if we can make a justifiable argument (if you've already taken the course, etc), then they really should just give you credit for it and not require it again.

However, a lot of professors/drs have strong pretentious, holier than thou personalities. They literally get off on telling you no, and don't care. They have issues with power... maybe they were rejected a lot in their younger years, I don't know. Luckily I have never personally come across those kinds of professors in real life, but I've heard horror stories (like the stats professor one you told), so these types of "professors" or "doctors" seem to be somewhat common. And, of course, there are some on this forum as well. Ignore them and do your own thing. They don't know the market in California, and they don't have the same goals and visions you have for your future. They definitely don't know it all, despite pretending like they do.

I can't quote all your posts because there are so many, so I decided to quote just the last one.

Yeah don't ever let someone talk you out of your program or transferring things. It is our right, and if we can make a justifiable argument (if you've already taken the course, etc), then they really should just give you credit for it and not require it again.

However, a lot of professors/drs have strong pretentious, holier than thou personalities. They literally get off on telling you no, and don't care. They have issues with power... maybe they were rejected a lot in their younger years, I don't know. Luckily I have never personally come across those kinds of professors in real life, but I've heard horror stories (like the stats professor one you told), so these types of "professors" or "doctors" seem to be somewhat common. And, of course, there are some on this forum as well. Ignore them and do your own thing. They don't know the market in California, and they don't have the same goals and visions you have for your future. They definitely don't know it all, despite pretending like they do.

Holy crap. You're back! Let me get the popcorn!

Also, if that is listed in this student rights section of the university manual, then I will back down. Let me know how that search goes....:) Thus far, I have failed to find that clause in my associated university's student manual.

Last edited:

It's within any professors right to not accept a course they don't feel as equivalent. If caring about our profession and the standards involved is a "holier than thou" attitude, than so be it. But that's a pretty naive way of looking at things.

Yes. Literally indeed. I know I am in the habit if playing evil professor by denying students transfer classes and then jumping on their backs, riding them like cowboy, then dismounting (i.e.., getting off) a few seconds later. This all makes perfect sense, no?

Last edited:
Yes. Literally indeed. I know I am in the habit if playing evil professor by denying students transfer classes and then jumping on their backs, riding them like cowboy, then dismounting (i.e.., getting off) a few seconds later. This all makes perfect sense, no?

Yes, now it does. Thanks.

Just disagreeing with you or the other poster is enough to be called holier than thou and know it all doctors. Did you ever consider that even if I don't "know it all", I still might know more about a few things than do you? My training was all in SoCal and I know a little bit about the market as many of my colleagues still work there. So what does that have to do with anything? If you don't want to be a psychologist or a licensed mental health professional, then you really have nothing to add to this board.

I couldn't agree more and thank you for actually understanding where I'm coming from instead of taking my decision as the most disrespectful thing ever; it is very weird :) I'm happy to see that you have also had a good experience with professors and graduate school; it was shocking for me to come across a professor like that, but even more shocking that others view this as normal. Thanks again, good luck with your future endeavors.

I couldn't agree more and thank you for actually understanding where I'm coming from instead of taking my decision as the most disrespectful thing ever; it is very weird :) I'm happy to see that you have also had a good experience with professors and graduate school; it was shocking for me to come across a professor like that, but even more shocking that others view this as normal. Thanks again, good luck with your future endeavors.

I'm sorry that we have busted your bubble of naiveté. but it would have happened sooner or later.

High level academia is a ruled by overachieving individuals who are in love with their own theories/work, and who are gunning for scarce government dollars/funding and tenure (AKA: lifetime job security with a phat ass pension). What did you expect it to produce? Monks? Its overeducated Wallstreet bankers. Or at least it often takes that same mentality to succeed in high level academia.

Although no one is condoning "rudeness" or saying that its "normal," and the professor’s verbiage was indeed to harsh, it certainly shouldn’t be surprising to be people who actually understand the realities of high stakes academia. And obviously, professor's hold the ultimate right to accept of decline transfer requests. It’s in every university policy manual. That aspect of this discussion is not really in debate.

Wow! All I can say is that you do not sound like a graduate student in psychology. I hope that you comport yourself with more professionalism in the real world. Do you have no respect for anyone? The people whose opinions you are discounting out of hand are licensed professionals with a few more years of experience than yourself. Just maybe they know a few things that you don't and you might actually learn from their experience.

Stating my opinion and disagreeing with a view does not mean I'm being disrespectful, I hope you know that. However, if attacked for my own views in a disrespectful manner, then yes I will return the favor, which has nothing to do with their title or experience, but their mannerisms instead. Do you show respect to others that give you disrespect?

Have you ever gone to see a psychologist? If you have then you know that one psychologist does not represent all psychologists in the field and you have to go to a few in order to find the right one for you; I apologize for disagreeing again, since this is obviously a forum that does not allow opposition, but having "experience" does not make you invincible. All experience really is, is years in the field, how those years are spent is unknown, years does not equal competency.

However, if attacked for my own views in a disrespectful manner, then yes I will return the favor

In what work enviornment does this attitude produce career advancement/promotion?

In most places this risks termination. In the US armed forces, you are likley to get smacked around a little, demoted, and/or brought up on UCMJ charges. I hope I am not busting your bubble of idealism too much?

Erg923 this was never about a course waiver and obviously we do not see eye to eye. I never said a professor does not have the right, all I was saying is students have rights as well. I do not care to keep arguing with you because its irrelevant. I'll do what I think is right for me, stop trying to fight my own decisions and opinions, its really arrogant.

its really arrogant.

1. I respond to your posts, which is reasonable and is the whole point of this board existing. You do not have to "like" it.

2. The thread was dead until you started beating this deceased horse.

Threads exist for others to look at at any time. I went on recently to review things, regardless of how old it was because the opinions still matter. The point of this board is to assist with your opinion, not argue, which I have seen with your other posts. Go ahead, again it's irrelevant

Last edited:
Threads exist for others to look at at any time. I went on recently to review things, regardless of how old it was because the opinions still matter. The point of this board is to assist with your opinion, not argue, which I have seen with your other posts. Go ahead, again it's irrelevant

If you dont think people argue on message boards, then you havent actually been on any message boards.

Now you know what I do, your arrogance has surpassed itself. Your way is the right way, that's obviously all you really want, argue away Erg, have fun. Oh and from this point on you will be put under ignore, I will be happy to not see your threads anymore since you are obviously not helpful.

Now you know what I do, your arrogance has surpassed itself. Your way is the right way, that's obviously all you really want, argue away Erg, have fun. Oh and from this point on you will be put under ignore, I will be happy to not see your threads anymore since you are obviously not helpful.

Fantastic. Then I'm sure you won’t mind if I continue to quote your posts and counter point with you for the benefit of others who may read your thread.

Arrogance has less to do with it than "gentle correction," as the Nuns in school used to say.

"Helpful" has many parts and may faces, and some of those most helpful information that one ever recieves is information that we don’t really "like" or that we didn't explicitly ask for. This is part of graduate training and it part of being a responsible mentor and good mentee. The sooner you gain insight into this, the sooner your potential for sucess in the field will begin to grow.

Have you ever gone to see a psychologist? If you have then you know that one psychologist does not represent all psychologists in the field and you have to go to a few in order to find the right one for you; I apologize for disagreeing again, since this is obviously a forum that does not allow opposition, but having "experience" does not make you invincible. All experience really is, is years in the field, how those years are spent is unknown, years does not equal competency.
Yes. I also work with them every day and I am a psychologist. So what? I was not talking about disagreeing. I was referring to the highly defensive manner in which you disagreed. Erg is a bit snarky at times, again so what? Your reaction to it was not professional is what I was saying. I disagree with other posters frequently, but always keep a professional tone. Sometimes I even use a bit of humor to make my point. Lighten up Francis! (extra bonus points to the first to recognize the reference)

Yes. I also work with them every day and I am a psychologist. So what? I was not talking about disagreeing. I was referring to the highly defensive manner in which you disagreed. Erg is a bit snarky at times, again so what? Your reaction to it was not professional is what I was saying. I disagree with other posters frequently, but always keep a professional tone. Sometimes I even use a bit of humor to make my point. Lighten up Francis! (extra bonus points to the first to recognize the reference)

You are absolutely right, things should be light and at the very least, humorous. I don't want to keep defending my actions, you see the threads which have obviously resulted to the bashing, his "snarkiness" is my defense, we all handle things differently and as you so cleverly stated, so what?

P.s it's Psycho :) I just found out that Bates motel is in relation to it, had no idea.

Last edited:
You are absolutely right, things should be light and at the very least, humorous. I don't want to keep defending my actions, you see the threads which have obviously resulted to the bashing, his "snarkiness" is my defense, we all handle things differently and as you so cleverly stated, so what?

P.s it's Psycho :) I just found out that Bates motel is in relation to it, had no idea.

You shouldn't have posted the professor's name here, that's just unprofessional. What if somebody disagreed with you about something and posted your name somewhere?

Incorrect. Thanks for playing.