Alright, new PGY-1s: Tell us about the first patient you admitted............

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigfrank

SDN Donor
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure we would love to hear about the first patient you admitted!

Let us know, tell us the nitty-gritty.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't admitted anyone yet - but i did have to give all verbal orders yesterday because i couldn't figure out how to put orders into the computer charting system....strong work dr.! And I think the "um"count was like 200 in my first discharge summary.

On my first day in the MICU, we moved all 18 patients 1/4 mile to a brand new building. I happened to be on call (joy) that day. The move went very smoothly and we sat back and waited for the first admit to the "Big Peter" as our attending called it. We didn't have to wait long to get one and the attending actually yelled at the ER attending on the phone, "you are not sending us a f$cking GI bleed as the first admission ever to the Big Peter!" Turns out he was right, it wasn't a GI bleed. It was a coagulopathic ESLD guy who swallowed about 3 units of blood from - get this - epistaxis. That's right...first admission to our shiny new, 12th floor, city, river and mountain view ICU was a frickin' nosebleed! On the upside, I will live in infamy as the first resident to do a d/c summary dictation for a pt. in the Big Peter.

It's been pretty much downhill since then but I'm still having a good-ish time.

BE (now PE)

Members don't see this ad :)
Sugar72 said:
And I think the "um"count was like 200 in my first discharge summary.

:laugh: Mine's too!

Sugar72 said:
And I think the "um"count was like 200 in my first discharge summary.

Yeah, but you KNOW you've made it when they both don't transcribe nor turn you in for the "son of a bitch", "damn it", "****sucker", "mother******", "****", and other sundries that will pepper your dictations as time goes on. (Some transcribers will inform on you for cursing during your dictations, but, if you specify that you are quoting the patient, you can get obscenities in there.)