also

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aallaei

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
also, I hear that ER docs burn out after 3 yrs and go into primary care or something along those lines....any thoughts on this? is this a valid statement?

Members don't see this ad.

Most EM attendings burn out after about 6 months, and if they're male, undergo a sex change, dye their hair brunette, get breast implants, and post on this EM Forum...

NOOOOOOOOOOO most E"R" docs do not burn out after 3 years... if that were true, the job market for EM would be so incredibly lucrative as to the high turnover. One EM Attending, who was the Alaska State EM Medical Board President a while ago, said that the rumor was based on thoughts ten or so years ago... basically that most EM docs lasted 10 years, and that was because many of them were not EM residency trained (as it was and still is a young specialty), and were therefore not as well prepared for the field of EM compared to their residency trained brethren...

Nowadays, you get people like Blackcat, MikeCWRU, EdinOH, Apollyon, Hornet, and myself who WANT to do EM and like it for what it is... we know what EM entails before we go into it... Ten years ago it may have not been that way, as a lot of attendings from other specialties just worked in the ED...

Q

I also think that the wide availability of things to do inside the profession but outside direct patient care also helps to limit burn out.

Quinn, are you interested in teaching? or research?

Members don't see this ad :)
My own anecdotal and unscientific screening tool is that, if someone mentions burnout in the first sentence, EM ain't the best place for 'em.

People have been warning me that I WILL burn out, and, after 11 years, I am reminded of the quote by Voltaire:

"They say that coffee is a slow poison, and it surely must be, for I have been drinking it for 65 years, and am not dead yet!"

Annette-
I am most definately not interested in research, although I wouldn't mind a try at it if I had a good mentor. As a DO student, we're not exposed to much research, as we are limited to very small osteopathic/community hospitals throughout our four years...

But teaching I don't mind. I love being a 4th year because I can atleast teach the 3rd years underneath me... and I often find myself talking to the nursing students/PA students about a diagnosis or lab test or something. When I get out, I wouldn't mind teaching at some level, although I don't see myself teaching at a high volume EM residency...

Apollyon- I like your thought... that if burnout is a big question, it may not be right for that person... never thought about it but it makes a lot of sense...

Q