I also need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jikenyson

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a carribean student (Ross), I applied to EM and was fairly confident that I would get at least 10 interviews and match somewhere, so I didn't apply to prelim med as a backup. Now, I only had two interview offers and I think I will likely have to scramble into something. I dont want anything categorical besides EM and I think I may fare better next year if I apply earlier. I was wondering if anyone had advice about what to do, I have heard that prelim med and EM are nearly impossible to scramble into. Should I go for prelim surg? Is there any way I can get info to programs before the scramble? Is there anything else I could do for a year while I reapply? My Steps are both 99s my GPA is above 3.7 and I havent failed anything. Thank you in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Prelim surgery spot to work as a scut monkey wouldnt be the hardest thing in the world to get, try big programs in big cities. Think Miami, NYC, Houston etc....

That will suck, but I guess it may be my only option. Does anyone have a recommendation for prelim surg spot that traditionally doesn't fill at a place with EM residency?

Also if any MS3's read this and worry, there may be a lesson. I think in EM, moreso than other specialties, it is important to get your application in early.

Members don't see this ad :)
That will suck, but I guess it may be my only option. Does anyone have a recommendation for prelim surg spot that traditionally doesn't fill at a place with EM residency?

Also if any MS3's read this and worry, there may be a lesson. I think in EM, moreso than other specialties, it is important to get your application in early.
Orlando Health fits that mold. They have 6 prelim surgery spots, only one of which matched last year. The remainder scrambled. They have 14 EM spots, most of which are USIMG only, but I saw one Carib on there. The Surgery chair is an FMG, has prelim Rossies there now. `

Awesome, thank you, I would love to go back to my home state of FL. I am glad I asked.

Jik, if you don't mind me asking do you have any idea what went wrong with your application? I would have thought you'd get plenty of interviews also. I was scratching my head after I read this because I'm SGU, and still got 10 interviews although I applied all over. Are you an U.S. citizen? How late did you apply? Anyway, I know you're bummed man. Hang in there and definitely apply again next year. Way to go on those double 99's. I find it really difficult to believe that no program would want you with those scores, even with the IMG stigma. Best of luck.

Since you're from Florida. It might be worth applying prelim to Univ of MS in Jackson, MS. They are IMG and DO friendly and I would think it would give you ample opportunity to rub elbows with the right people. It's PGY2-4 also so your prelim year wouldn't be wasted. I interviewed there and thought it was a great program (biased though since I'm from MS:) ). The PD was very impressive and did his first 2 years of medical school overseas before transferring to Yale and graduating top of his class. Double boarded; amazing guy. He made it very clear during my interview that he didn't hold the IMG status against us in any way.

Last edited:
Awesome, thank you, I would love to go back to my home state of FL. I am glad I asked.
Right now, you have nothing to lose. If I were you, I would contact the PD (for both GS and EM) via email with top ten reasons they should pick you, including 2 x 99, Florida connection, etc, and explain your situation. If you didn't apply to their program, you may want to explain your oversight. Attach your score reports, your cv, ps, etc. CC the coordinator and ask if you can get the PD to review your app this late in the game. Also tell the EM PD you have a residency spot in sight, and you are going to do whatever it takes to prove your worth to them--ie, GS prelim, etc. For GS, you will rotate through there, and you will be expected to manage their traumas -- which are many. They will know you well after one year there. And it's an SGU in Class of 09 (arrogant dude, btw). :rolleyes: Call after a week or so if you don't hear anything.

I think a lot of my problem was lateness, I applied 10/5 with only my SLOR. Also I had only one SLOR b/c I didn't realize how difficult it would be to schedule rotations and didn't try til late May, so I only did one EM rotation at a place with a residency. It was hinted to me by a residency coordinator at one of my interviews that my SLOR was not particularly strong. The doctor who wrote it was hard to read, very cut and dry, but residents at the program said I should definitely ask her b/c she was giving me more autonomy than they had seen. I knew I wasnt an ideal candidate, but I applied to 80 programs and got 268 on step II. I am surprised as well. I had a similar experience applying to medical school, 38 on MCAT and no interview offers. I had a couple of bs misdemeanor arrests as a juvenile, those records are supposed to be closed, but I don't know.

UCLA Harbor has a great EM program, and their prelim surgical year almost never fills - give them a call, there may still be time to interview, or at least you'll show that you're thinking ahead of the game towards the scramble.