Alternative Science PhDs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mercaptovizadeh

ἐδάκρυσεν ὁ Ἰησοῦς
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been considering pursuing a PhD in physics, which I love. However, my heart is also in medicine. I believe the two can be integrated, and that the very fundamental nature of physics and its mathematical rigor can actually be an asset in thinking about biomedical problems.

Has this ever been done before? How would schools perceive this? Would it be better to present oneself as interested in a biology PhD (e.g. immunology, which also greatly interests me) at the interview, and then discuss alternative possibilities once accepted?

Members don't see this ad.

I have been considering pursuing a PhD in physics, which I love. However, my heart is also in medicine. I believe the two can be integrated, and that the very fundamental nature of physics and its mathematical rigor can actually be an asset in thinking about biomedical problems.

Has this ever been done before? How would schools perceive this? Would it be better to present oneself as interested in a biology PhD (e.g. immunology, which also greatly interests me) at the interview, and then discuss alternative possibilities once accepted?

First of all, are you crazy? What is your background in physics? I was a physics major in undergrad, and in grad school I thought that I would take the PhD level quantum courses, because I aced undergrad quantum, so why not? Holy SH@#. This stuff was not easy, and completely different from traditional and certainly 'fundamental' physics. And I have heard that the 700 level E&M courses are just as bad and abstract. Because of this, I am now questioning the direct application of physics graduate training to clinical science.

Originally, I wanted to enter with this option too. I found that several schools (MSTP) either officially accept physics as an option, or will allow you to pursue it. I was interested, from prior research experience, in particle physics, and wanted to apply this to radonc or even imaging. But, now, I have second thoughts. But if this is your thing (i.e., the physics/med route) it CAN be done through the MSTP. Good luck

I have to agree with JETER. I don't really have time to write out a long drawn-out response to this, but your interests would probably be better suited in a PhD program that's more integrated with the medical school. At Penn such programs would be the Dept. of Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics or the Dept. of Bioengineering. Either one is flexible enough to let you really explore whatever things you want to explore, based on what sort of project you choose, and that could include very basic theoretical imaging or applied fMRI type stuff.

The best thing to do is to present yourself as that kind of applicant I think. Different schools will handle you differently, but I don't think physics is particularly non-traditional as it is a basic science. Physics PhDs however tend to take a long time and tend not to apply themselves very much at all to biomedical topics.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nah, this is defnitely possible, if your program is prepared to deal with it. Many are not; they insist that you work in one of the biomedical science departments, but some are able to accommodate you.

A friend of mine did an MD/PhD at Harvard/MIT, and got his PhD in Physics. His research concentrated on new techniques for breast MRI, as I recall. He then went on to specialize in radiology.

There are all kinds of topics in radiology and radiation oncology, at least, where physics is pretty directly applicable. So much so that getting board certified in these specialties requires exams devoted to physics.

Good luck.

Yup this is definitely possible. Aside from the Harvard-MIT program encouraging this, the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign also does as well which we have a top 8 PhD Physics program. The physical chemistry program in the Chemistry Department (a top 6 PhD program) is also very strong at UIUC. Other programs that might let you do it as well I think is the U. of Pittsburgh / Carnegie Mellon, and the University of Rochester, I think. You need to check with them but Carnegie Mellon and Rochester have strong optics and engineering programs as well and if i remember from my interviews they did let you do your PhD in the physical sciences.