Altius Test Prep?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clocks123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I stumbled upon this lesser known MCAT prep company and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with them? Their packages do look kind of expensive though.
I was planning to study on my own without a prep company, but I decided to see what's around. Do many people study on their own or take a class?

Members don't see this ad.

Studying on your own is probably the best bet, especially if you are disciplined.

I think no company by itself is the best (except AAMC FLs of course). It's best to use materials from a range of companies.

I agree with @justadream completely. Buy the EK books and the BR books. Go over all of that stuff and do AAMC passages throughout (don't save till the end). Study the AAMC passages the most. If you can read slowly and answer the questions being asked (I know that sound simple, but you wouldn't believe how difficult most students make it) then you should do pretty well (assuming you study for a considerable amount of time and you have the content down prior to studying).

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone have any idea about altuis??
im seriously considering starting their summer prep course and needed some info on them??
anyone??

I took it in 2013 (summer immersion in provo)
It was the hardest thing I've ever done and I would never want to do it again, but if I did, I would retake altius in a heartbeat. I worked probably 40-50 hrs each week for 10 weeks straight (plus a month after the program "finished") and then i got my score in the 99th percentile. It helped me get into my #1 choice on October 15th.

I felt sorry for all my friends who did anything other than Altius.

I took it in 2013 (summer immersion in provo)
It was the hardest thing I've ever done and I would never want to do it again, but if I did, I would retake altius in a heartbeat. I worked probably 40-50 hrs each week for 10 weeks straight (plus a month after the program "finished") and then i got my score in the 99th percentile. It helped me get into my #1 choice on October 15th.

I felt sorry for all my friends who did anything other than Altius.

Stop posting the same thing over and over; you are making yourself look like a fool as your post is not a tad bit helpful.

Stop posting the same thing over and over; you are making yourself look like a fool as your post is not a tad bit helpful.
I saw the same question on multiple threads and decided to answer it. Here is my review, hopefully it is more helpful than what you deemed made me "look like a fool." Better a fool than a cyberbully?:smack:

I loved being completely dedicated to MCAT for the entire summer, people worry about "burn out" but i didnt experience any of that. After all, aren't you going to be studying your butt off for the next 10 years of your life?

The other students I studied with really kept me motivated a long time. It hurt paying the $2,600 dollars (back then) for the course, but I QUICKLY made that up in the form of 10 interviews and a quick acceptance to a CU, a top school for primary care. My tutor asked me what I would do/pay for a top score and i said "anything" then he told me we were gonna work harder than I had ever done before. He was right, Altius is not for people who want to cram and be slackers and still get into medical school. They keep you honest and actually, one time, my tutor refused to meet with me because I was not doing all that I needed to get a 35+. I needed that.

One day my tutor Trevor told me that the difference between a 33 and a 39 was eliminating "stupid mistakes," and thinking "conceptually." Altius also said that 80% of the MCAT was Conceptual and 20% memorized facts and equations. They also frequently told us "for the MCAT what you know <<<< How you think." I took all that to heart and dedicated tons of time to mastering the material on my own so that I could develop strategies to do well on the 80%. Tutor sessions were not times to be taught the material (thats what youtube is for!). Instead tutor session was more like a practice for a sports team. You can know all the rules of the game, but if you dont practice in person, you will never get better. My tutor and I spent most of my time going over MCAT passages and questions and analyzing my test taking strategies. When I would make a stupid mistake, my tutor would catch it and help me understand how to prevent it in the future. That being said, there were times when I couldn't properly conceptualize or understand a topic. When that happened my tutor was phenomenal at simplifying the concepts and helping me understand things from a different perspective. I learned so much from my tutor. He helped demystify the MCAT for me. He pointed out so many trends in passages and questions that by the time I took my test, i felt like I not only knew the topics for PS, and BS, but that i knew the MCAT.

At school my GPA was very high and I figured i could study on my own and do well enough. I paid for altius to provide structure, keep me motivated (aka i saw my 2,600 as an investment in my future), and because of the 1 on 1 personal attention it would give me. Nothing drives me more mad than being at the mercy of the slowest kid in a review at school. I didnt like always hearing about the basic questions that everyone should understand. At Altius, I RARELY had to deal with that, and when someone did ask basic questions, the tutors often deferred to other classmates and gave them opportunities to strengthen their understanding through teaching. I enjoyed helping teach my classmates and attribute a lot of my success to the time i spent teaching during the program.

I took the program in Provo, but from what i understand, it started here and then traveled to Portland because Lauren (yes he is a guy) attended medical school out there.

Any other questions? Did that help?

Reactions: 3 users
I took the Altius summer Gold package in 2013 and spent over 1000 hours studying for their program. I completely regret it. They cram a ton of students into a tiny classroom with picnic tables instead of desks which makes it very difficult to focus. The tutorings were held either in that crampy classroom or the public library next door which houses a predominent population of homeless people making it dificult to find available study areas.
Next, Altius states on their website that the average altius student recieved a 31-33 score in 2013. This is far from the truth. The way they calculate this is very decieving and a lie. (PM me and i'll tell you how they calculate it.) I know several students in my 2013 class that scored 10 points BELOW the national average; me included.
Do not take Altius. It is a terrible course.

I took the Altius summer Gold package in 2013 and spent over 1000 hours studying for their program. I completely regret it. They cram a ton of students into a tiny classroom with picnic tables instead of desks which makes it very difficult to focus. The tutorings were held either in that crampy classroom or the public library next door which houses a predominent population of homeless people making it dificult to find available study areas.
Next, Altius states on their website that the average altius student recieved a 31-33 score in 2013. This is far from the truth. The way they calculate this is very decieving and a lie. (PM me and i'll tell you how they calculate it.) I know several students in my 2013 class that scored 10 points BELOW the national average; me included.
Do not take Altius. It is a terrible course.

Sweetx56:

What did you do in those 1000 hours of studying, to score so far below the national average? Was all those 1000 hours spend doing only content and not actually practicing? Assuming that you are preparing for a retake, what are you doing differently this time around to ensure success?

Sweetx56:

I am so sorry to hear that your experience wasn't excellent. We'd love to continue helping you. I don't believe we ever heard from you about being dissatisfied, although I don't know your actual name so I cannot check. Please give us a call and let us hear your concerns, we'd love to make things right for you.

As for your comments about the score results reported on our website, that is completely uncalled for. You just called the way we calculate the scores "very deceiving and a lie" when "how we calculate the scores" has never been a secret of any kind. We have always described the precise Methodology on our website right next to the score data, as you can read for last year's students here: http://altiustestprep.com/results. Your suggestion that people PM you to get some "secret" about how we calculate results is grossly misleading. There is no secret you know about this process, and if you think you do know something that isn't described on the website or in our materials then you have false information. For other readers, here is exactly how the results are calculated:

1. The scores are a SURVEY of all students who completed any Altius program during that school-year/cycle (e.g., 2012-2013, 2013-14). To be considered as having completed the program students need to have done a minimum of 7 out of the 10 Indicators of Success given to them at the start of the program. This is clearly stated on the website and emphasized in our Student Study Manual. We tell students regularly that they must adhere to the program if they want the expected results. The number of indicators completed by each student is based on their own self-reports to their tutor or to the survey administrator. It isn't our opinion of what they did or didn't do. If anything, it would be human tendency for them to report having done more than they actually did. This method is important because simply paying for the Altius program isn't some magic pill. Even showing up to class regularly is not what gets Altius students higher scores. Altius is a system. It includes several working parts which combine together to give students multiple learning environments and spaced repetition to increase long-term conceptual understanding. If you start taking out pieces of that "machine" it is going to fall apart. In fact, doing only 7/10 of the indicators is pretty awful and we would not expect great results. The program works best when you do everything asked of you (10/10).

2. The survey is conducted by a third-party accountant, or his staff, using a phone survey methodology that has widely accepted validity. If you have seen a report on the evening news about "the percentage of American's who___" or survey results for who is ahead in the current political race, you are consuming data calculated via a similar method. If any student would like to speak with the accountant directly and verify his independence, we're happy to put you in contact with him.

3. Remember that a survey is just a survey, not a guarantee of individual performance. A mean does not indicate that every student, or even most students, earned that score. It indicates that this is the approximate middle of a distribution. There are students who scored much higher and those who scored much lower. For example, you and your friends may well have had a much lower average, but the survey wasn't of your group, or even your summer class, it was of all Altius graduates from that entire cycle who took any Altius MCAT course. Our best scores come from the long-track program. Those students do in 8-9 months what you did in 10 weeks--so that is worth keeping in mind as well.

We can never guarantee you "x" score because we cannot force you to do the work or follow the program. What our data show is that our methods are shifting overall performance upward. Our students have consistently outpaced national averages by a long margin every year. Also, the number of very, very high scores is much larger than any of the national data would suggest. For example, we just hired about a dozen new tutors in the state of UT with 99th percentile MCAT-2015 scores, which is way more than 1% of our enrollment in UT. Were they the exception? Yes. Did most people score lower than they did? Yes. But is it interesting that there are many times more 99th scores than the national data suggest? Yes. That is all the data show you. They lend support to the unique Altius methods of teaching and show that they are working. Looking at a single score for a single individual is almost worthless. You need a baseline or something to compare to. You cannot say "My friend scored this, or I know x people who scored this...so the stats aren't true." In fact, look at the distribution. It shows that lots of people who took Altius got mediocre scores (15% were below 27/504). That equates to hundreds of people. However, nationwide, over 60% scored in that same range. So you say 15% vs. 60%, that's a pretty awesome reduction in "mediocre" scores.

In the end, we really do care about you and we'd still love to help however we can. Did you share your concerns with Altius management? Our guarantee will allow us to pay for you to take another course from a competitor if you completed all aspects of the program (the 13 activities/lesson and the 10 Indicators of Success) and weren't satisfied. You can also retake the entire course for free during the following cycle.

I will pass along your concerns about the classroom being too cramped at the SLC office. Honestly, I've been there and I thought it was fine, and in a newly renovated building. You also have to remember that you are paying $2,999 for a summer program when Kaplan/PR charge $9,499 for a summer intensive that is four weeks shorter and includes either little or no 1-on-1 tutoring. We could charge way more tuition and have expensive classrooms, but we don't think it would correlate with student performance. Further, we believe many students take Altius because of its affordability--it makes a private tutor accessible to them due to paying about 75% less than market rate. If we start focusing on elaborate facilities, that pricing would have to go way up. By "picnic tables" I assume you are talking about the fact that everyone sits around a set of folding tables instead of at individual desks? This is on purpose. We could certainly put desks in the classroom (approx. same cost), but for the problem-based classroom sessions we use we prefer everyone to be able to see one another. This encourages group discussion and involvement.

I would suggest saving your money and studying on your own. My friend and I both performed similarly in Organic Chemistry, and my friend went with Altius and I decided to study on my own for the MCAT. He scored a 515 and I was able to score a 522. I am sure we both worked equally hard, but I think the difference comes from being able to control your study and being able to use the best resources. Test prep companies will train you using their resources, which includes very few of the official AAMC practice problems (problems written by the people who wrote the MCAT!). During my study I found test prep companies' practice exams and practice questions to be subpar. I feel like they take you off track more than help you. I would suggest making a study plan that uses various resources (AAMC, Khan, Kaplan, Princeton, ExamKrakers). Variety is your friend.

Also, if you feel like you need more structure/someone to guide you through the study process and help you with challenging questions, I would suggest finding a tutor. Test prep companies will charge you outrageous prices for tutoring. If you search around online, you can find better deals on tutors. For instance, I tutor from MCATSelfPrep.com. It is helpful to tutor with someone that performed well on the exam already and can give you peace of mind about your preparation.

Lastly, I enjoyed studying on my own because I was able to make the plan that worked for me. I was able to study from home and study only as much as I could each week (very helpful since I was still taking classes during my exam prep). Best of luck with your preparation!

This is such an obvious plug for that site. Be more subtle next time and try varying the same comment a bit..

So i don't have time to write something long but thought i would add to this. I LOVED/HATED the altius program. It was one of the most grueling experiences of my life, however it was exactly what i needed at the time i took it. While I was studying for the MCAT I was working 5-10 hours a week doing research, 18 (ish) hours a week at a rehab facility, acting as stage manager for a dance team that was going to be going on an international tour 2 days after my MCAT date, was writing all my essays/ getting letters of rec for my application, and still in school full time.

I was taking the MCAT about a month or two earlier than most people at my school as well because the tour was going to be taking me to China for a full month and there was no way I was going to be getting any real studying in while I was there. If I was to wait until after the trip I was then going to have to study at least another month AFTER the fact then take the MCAT but then i would be taking it a little to late to have my application in on time (fun fact I actually submitted all my applications in Hong Kong during the last week of the trip and got my MCAT score on a beach in the Philippines)

Long story short I was extremely busy, i started studying about a month or two later than i probably should have in light of the fact that I was taking the test a month or two earlier than most of my peers (oh yea I took the MCAT two days after my last final of the semester).

For me the biggest thing the altius program did was give me accountability and keep me on track. They ride you HARD and when I was dead tired from all my other stuff and would normally have justified pushing it off till the next day the thought of trying to justify that to my tutor put me in line. They also are huge proponents of smart test prep skills, group learning, writing your own MCAT questions and then having them critiqued by your peers, one on one tutoring ETC. I am positive I would not have done as well as I did had I not done the altius program. Had I had another month I think i could have probably been able to get my goal of a 36 or 35. My brother in law is going to be studying for the MCAT this summer and I am strongly encouraging him to go through these guys.

Also as an aside I found this thread because I am starting to study for boards (step 1) and wanted to see if i could refresh myself on the strategies and basic structure on how they made us study so i could repeat that again for round of massive tests.