Am I having a midlife crisis ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bronchospasm

Interventional Pain Physician
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Turned 39!and Just realized that I answered yes for all these except for 10,11,15 and 16.
--------------------------------
Here is a list of questions to ask yourself in order to determine if you may be heading toward — or are in the midst of — a ‘midlife crisis.’ My next post here will describe ways to navigate through this potentially difficult time and productively move past it.

1. Have you been feeling down or empty for long periods of time with no relief? (This is different than mood swings, which come and go.)

2. Do you get enraged over small things or have violent outbursts with your family and friends? (Again, this is not the same as feeling irritable on and off.)

3. Do you feel detached? Have you stopped engaging in activities that once gave you pleasure with your mate, friends or at work? Do you find hobbies that use to interest you now feel meaningless or boring?

4. Do you find yourself constantly thinking about your mortality, the meaning (or meaninglessness) of life?

5. Are you deeply dissatisfied with your relationship? Have you cut off emotionally and physically from your mate?

6. Are you thinking of quitting your job or fantasizing about never working again, even if you can’t afford to retire?

7. Does the life you envision ahead exclude the people or activities you are currently attached to?

8. If you were once religious, are you questioning your beliefs? Are you seeking a deeper connection to spirituality? Do ‘new wave’ religious groups or cults interest you?

9. Do you keep thinking about running away or taking a break even if you have responsibilities that keep you from doing so? For example, is it hard to imagine finding satisfaction in being a mother or wife anymore?

10. Are you flirting with the idea of having an affair or have you started one? Are you spending inordinate amount of time on your computer engaged in online chats with strangers?

11. Are you making sexual gestures towards others — a young co-worker, your son’s baseball coach, a guy you met at a bar — seeking their attention even when it feels inappropriate?

12. Do you have a desperate desire the freedom and independence, regardless of how it impacts others? Are you seeking adventure, but not sure where to find it?

13. Are you acting recklessly, like driving your car too fast or engaging in other impulsive behaviors like you may have as a teenager? Are you dressing like your much younger daughter? Spending a lot of time with people half your age?

14. Have you gained a lot of weight? Are you binging on junk food? Have you lost a lot of weight, lost interest in food or gone on crash diets? Are you obsessively exercising?

15. Are you drinking too much, often by yourself?

16. Are you overusing prescription or recreational drugs?

17. Are you obsessing about your appearance, trying to ‘anti-age’ and overdoing it on cosmetic procedures or plastic surgery to look younger?

18. Do you find yourself looking in the mirror and think, I don’t recognize myself.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm 38 and answered pretty much the same.....hmmmmm maybe I'll go to nursing school

ugh. question 10 makes me sad.

not the affair part. but spending an inordinate amount of time engaging in online chats on this forum, when I should be doing so with hot models...

fyi, if you really think you are having a midlife crisis, go do an anesthesiology residency. by the time you are through, all concerns will be gone, esp since you wont be middle aged any more.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
ugh. question 10 makes me sad.

not the affair part. but spending an inordinate amount of time engaging in online chats on this forum, when I should be doing so with hot models...

fyi, if you really think you are having a midlife crisis, go do an anesthesiology residency. by the time you are through, all concerns will be gone, esp since you wont be middle aged any more.
Already completed anesthesia residency.

how do you know im not?

im catfishing you right now.

Physician burnout?
Premature mid life crises due to occupation?
Probably both...

Reactions: 1 user
For the most part, the above list describes the normal human condition, which is discontentment. If you are answering "no" to many of the questions, you are probably in a phase of your life where you are pleasantly distracted. You should recognize and appreciate the fleeting nature of such a phase.

For the most part, the above list describes the normal human condition, which is discontentment. If you are answering "no" to many of the questions, you are probably in a phase of your life where you are pleasantly distracted. You should recognize and appreciate the fleeting nature of such a phase.
That's deep existential stuff...

#4. I'm persistently thinking about my own mortality and how fleeting our personal experience is. It's hard to wrap my head around the concept of the infinite oblivion from which I emerged, and the one that awaits when I die. Even the most horrible events in life lose all of their significance. The only thing worse that I can imagine than life leading to death, is life leading not to death, but some version of unending awareness certain religions promote. I'm pretty bored now, and only 41!

For some reason, thinking about humans and anything to do with relationships always stresses me out. When I think about the cosmos, it's completely relaxing. How did this all start? Where does it end?

Reactions: 1 users
For some reason, thinking about humans and anything to do with relationships always stresses me out. When I think about the cosmos, it's completely relaxing. How did this all start? Where does it end?
if you want the know the answer to the ultimate question of life the universe and everything, well, its 42.

just saying.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have the same philosophical issues as well...

this is my screen saver from the Hubble telescope. it depicts 1/52 billionth of the universe... I stare at it every day.

also for curiosity sake, there are three factors we cannot understand in our current universe:
1. temperature is the same throughout the galaxy, why?
2. why is there a bipole on a magnet, why cannot we isolate a monopole? nobody knows.
3. why is the universe sitting on a bent sheet of paper, and not circular as expected.

we have no answers to these three questions. I think the universe is some type of experiment personally, we are just pawns...

Last edited:

so our base, our steady state, is to not be satisfied? to be relatively unhappy?

you may be on to something there.

therefore, if you are not unhappy, you are basically too busy to realize your unhappiness. i guess if you are answering yes to a lot of these questions, its time to get a hobby to mask the meaningless tedium of our lives......

or, you can have kids. that'll keep you busy.

Reactions: 1 users
I have the same philosophical issues as well...

this is my screen saver from the Hubble telescope. it depicts 1/52 billionth of the universe... I stare at it every day.

also for curiosity sake, there are three factors we cannot understand in our current universe:
1. temperature is the same throughout the galaxy, why?
2. why is there a bipole on a magnet, why cannot we isolate a monopole? nobody knows.
3. why is the universe sitting on a bent sheet of paper, and not circular as expected.

we have no answers to these three questions. I think the universe is some type of experiment personally, we are just pawns...

Big believer in the holographic theory of reality myself. If the universe is a simulation, it explains things like the observer effect in quantum mechanics- there is no reason to simulate data for which there is no observer, it's a way of saving processing power.

http://www.gizmag.com/quantum-theory-reality-anu/37866/

Big believer in the holographic theory of reality myself. If the universe is a simulation, it explains things like the observer effect in quantum mechanics- there is no reason to simulate data for which there is no observer, it's a way of saving processing power.

yeah, that article blows my mind. really supports that your existence seems to be some kind of simulation, one that we chose to perceive or not to perceive (or investigate, in that article). why waste energy on things/persons that don't care to know (your point). even more interesting is how black matter has no physical limitations based on our understanding, and can merely pass through galaxies and stars, without a trace....

yeah, that article blows my mind. really supports that your existence seems to be some kind of simulation, one that we chose to perceive or not to perceive (or investigate, in that article). why waste energy on things/persons that don't care to know (your point). even more interesting is how black matter has no physical limitations based on our understanding, and can merely pass through galaxies and stars, without a trace....

upload_2016-6-14_8-40-41.png

Yes to most of above.

Sliding into midlife crisis at 38, trying to mitigate collateral damage best I can. My goal is to come out of this with marriage intact and roof overhead, and kids not hating me too much.

the fact of observing it alters it irrevocably - i wonder if that factors in. i didnt see that specifically stated in the article, but then again i am not a quantum physicist (tho i did sleep in a holiday inn..).

quantum theory does not necessarily translate to the macro, and for that reason, im not a big believer that this universe is a holographic simulation.

which is why einstein and others have spent their lives trying to determine the ToE...

(fyi i believe that the current hypothesis to explain the equality of temperature and other conditions through the galaxy is the variable speed of light, though i remember being taught about the cosmic inflation theory)

Last edited:
William Lane Craig is brilliant btw