Am I on the right track?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedhusky18

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a second semester sophomore at a top 50 university. I will have a bachelors degree in Biology by the time I graduate.
-I currently have a 3.3 GPA.
-I am a very good test taker and have been preparing for the MCAT for a year now so I anticipate a high test score. I've taken a couple practice MCAT tests and have gotten most of the questions correct.
-I interned at a high profile surgical clinic this past summer
-100+ hours of hospital volunteer work
-several letters of recommendation
-internship at another medical office.
-plan to pursue several other internships by the time I apply to medical school.

I know I can raise my GPA in the coming semester but for arguments sake, if I graduate with a 3.3-3.4 GPA and a high MCAT score, what medical schools would make sense applying to? Do I have any advantage over students coming from a lower tier college since I come from a top 50 school? I Don't want to go overseas to a foreign school and I want to know if I can possibly get into any medical schools in the United States

Members don't see this ad.

At the very least, you should be able to get into DO school.

You will be able to get into medical schools in the US assuming you make at least a decent MCAT score. However, raising your GPA would be a huge boost to your application. Even if you do really well on the MCAT, with your current GPA it would be fitting for you to look to apply to low and mid tier medical schools and apply broadly. You might can toss a few high tier, reach schools in there especially if you do really well on the MCAT. You probably will want to apply to DO schools as well. With your GPA, unless you do incredibly well on the MCAT, your odds of admission will still not be excellent at MD schools. That is not saying that you will not be likely to be accepted to an MD program but that there is still a chance that you will not be and you can have a better shot at becoming a doctor by applying DO as well.

Your undergrad institution is not going to make much difference unless it is known for grade deflation which might help your GPA look better.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the replies. If anyone has any idea of specific schools I should look into applying or any specific extracurricular (i.e. research papers, joining any clubs or societies) I could do to boost my odds of being accepted to a middle tier Medical school that would be greatly appreciated.

You did everything you were expected to do. You got 4 semesters (or 6 if you can use summer) to get that GPA up. I'm not expert on this whole admission cycle, but people say that they do screening before reviewing applications. I don't think 3.3 will survive that screening.

I am a second semester sophomore at a top 50 university. I will have a bachelors degree in Biology by the time I graduate.
-I currently have a 3.3 GPA.
-I am a very good test taker and have been preparing for the MCAT for a year now so I anticipate a high test score. I've taken a couple practice MCAT tests and have gotten most of the questions correct.
-I interned at a high profile surgical clinic this past summer
-100+ hours of hospital volunteer work
-several letters of recommendation
-internship at another medical office.
-plan to pursue several other internships by the time I apply to medical school.

I know I can raise my GPA in the coming semester but for arguments sake, if I graduate with a 3.3-3.4 GPA and a high MCAT score, what medical schools would make sense applying to? Do I have any advantage over students coming from a lower tier college since I come from a top 50 school? I Don't want to go overseas to a foreign school and I want to know if I can possibly get into any medical schools in the United States

I know I can raise my GPA in the coming semester but for arguments sake, if I graduate with a 3.3-3.4 GPA and a high MCAT score, what medical schools would make sense applying to?

Let's not jump into any conclusions until you've taken the amcas practice tests. If you were able to get a high MCAT score, then calculate your LizzyM score. Check out the MSAR for each school's LizzyM score for matriculants and decide from there. In other words, do your own research.

Do I have any advantage over students coming from a lower tier college since I come from a top 50 school?
Nope. That's hardly a deciding factor.

The GPA is a big thing, a medical school admission recruiter from Northeast Ohio Medical University, came to my college end of the semester, and she talked about how medical schools are looking at GPA's that are 3.6 to 3.8 now. If you can, fit some psychology or humanities courses in your semester that would be an easy A to raise your overall GPA. Also, make sure you have an high science GPA also and have atleast nothing below a B+ on your science prerequisites courses or have a steady improvement.