Am I S*** out of luck? Please Read

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Louminater

15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
A 2.88 is on the low side. I'm not sure if even a perfect OAT score would compensate for that. Try to get B's or above from now on. At least raise your cumulative GPA to 3.0. It might take a whole year with grades no less than a B to bring up that GPA. With a 3.0, try to aim for 330+ on your OATs and apply as soon as applications are released. The JC route is good. After I graduated from undergrad I took 2-3 classes at JC and it really helped strengthen my science knowledge and helped me with my OATs. Btw, how does your brother like his job? Where did he graduate from?

I too am in a very similar situation as the OP, I am paying for my laziness as a freshman and sophomore :(. I am curious what other insight people may have on this situation.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you think you've wasted your time with biology, you may not find optometry school too exciting. It sounds like you've already convinced yourself that optometry isn't the thing for you. If you really have an interest in optometry, then you may still have a chance.

Other people may even disagree, but I think that even with your 2.8, you might have a shot--but I don't want to get your hopes up too high. It would probably depend on how your grades were AFTER those freshman/sophomore years. If your later years showed substantial improvement, your chances would understandably be better. With this current year, you're really going to have to show the adcoms you can handle a full load of science classes.
I would also recommend you get plenty of experience and solid letters of recommendation. You can get a lot of shadowing experience with your brother but having more experience will certainly help. Be aware, however, that many schools will not accept letters of recommendation from friends or family members so you should find one elsewhere.
The admissions committees are somewhat forgiving but you should definitely contact your schools of interest and try to get a phone counseling session (or go in person if you happen to visit a school or live near one already). They will be able to tell you best what you need to do since they will be looking at your transcript.

Good luck

If you think you've wasted your time with biology, you may not find optometry school too exciting. It sounds like you've already convinced yourself that optometry isn't the thing for you. If you really have an interest in optometry, then you may still have a chance.

Good luck

I think the OP is more implying that with his/her own low hopes of getting into optometry school - a biology degree by itself is practically useless. It may have been an interesting degree to get, but once you have it, they aren't many career options for a BS in Bio. You either continue on for a Master's, or you go to professional school.

OP - What attracts you to optometry?

Well, in my opinion, a 2.8 won't cut it. If you could get it up to at least a 3.0 in the next year, that would be very helpful. And you would for sure have to at least get a 330 on your OAT. Optometry school is competitive and you have to show that you are a competitive student. I don't think a 2.8 shows that you are very competitive. Remember that optometry school is only science classes. If you are having a hard time with science classes now, you will struggle in optometry school also. So, my advice, get your GPA up and try again next year.

Reactions: 1 users
I personally know people with lower GPAs and some are doing better than the 3.8 people. Although it is a good indication to success in optom school, GPA is not the only factor in doing well and being a competitive applicant.

Beef up your credentials with more classes, more shadowing, maybe even job experience. Get involved in (better) clubs & organizations. Volunteer. Make sure you have a personality (you HAVE to be able to interact with your patients and make them feel comfortable)!

Yeah I agree with a few post that I see.
2.8 aint hot, however I do believe that there still is a shot.
Bring up your GPA should be your number one goal (as it most likely is)
But if you end up with a 2.8, dont worry.
There are more qualities schools look for in an interview. SO, GIVE IT TO THEM.
If you get the interview, then you already separated yourself from the NORM so
Work it to your advantage:)

i think it's important that you demonstrate that you can handle responsibilities well... that said, i'm one of those "lower science gpa" people (don't let all the smarties on sdn intimidate you!), and i've received 2 interviews so far out of the 4 schools i've applied to.

now, also to reiterate what has been said, if you have a low pre-req gpa, you HAVE to have a stellar OAT score. also, the more experience you have in opt, the better - so don't just shadow your brother! if you have the time, volunteer or get a job as a tech. annnnd lastly, finish your last few classes well and study hard for the OATs. if you want it and work super hard for it, it'll pay off in the end.

What optometry schools did you already get those 2 interviews for? Have you tried applying to Puerto Rico?

What optometry schools did you already get those 2 interviews for? Have you tried applying to Puerto Rico?

That's what I was going to suggest. I think you probably have a pretty good shot at getting in. However, it might help if you already know to speak Spanish.

I think it really helps to do your homework. Find out what it takes to get into a particular school. It's not like they won't tell you. And show some initiative in an interview. It's like any other job interview where showing you have the right attitude and can prove that you will succeed. Beg them to let you in! Bug the heck out of them on a daily basis until they tell you you are accepted! Fly to Puerto Rico right now and tell them first hand that you are there to convince them that you should be their next choice!

About going to Puerto Rico. It would be a last option, but do you have to be able to speak in Spanish? Or is it a English school? Also, this might sound like a stupid question, but is it safe there? Does it cost about the same as any other school?

I know a doctor who went there and that's the extent of the information I have. I believe you have to speak Spanish in order to communicate effectively with the patient base. I don't think you have to be fluent but enough to communicate. Not sure about the classes whether they are taught in English or Spanish.

If you want to know anything, just call the school. If it is a possibility, that should be your first item on your list.

About going to Puerto Rico. It would be a last option, but do you have to be able to speak in Spanish? Or is it a English school? Also, this might sound like a stupid question, but is it safe there? Does it cost about the same as any other school?

Since I just got done talking to them in person I can give you some answers. Spanish is not a requirement at the Interamerican University here in PR. On the other hand it is a huge plus because the patient base is mainly Spanish. Knowing Spanish will also give you a leg up on admissions. If you are admitted knowing no Spanish you will be required to take Spanish language classes. The good news is classes are all conducted in English. Here is the link to the school:

IAUPR School of Optometry

If you have any other questions about Puerto Rico or the school feel free to ask me. I've lived in PR for about 8 years now and know Spanish. :) And yes it is very safe in Puerto Rico.

Reactions: 1 user
My optometrist graduated fron SUNY. He had a low gpa as well, around 2.8-2.9, but he did extremely well on the OAT. However, this was like 7-8 years ago. They accepted him because he got his act together and proved to them that he could do it. So, I think you can still do it, but the OAT is VERY important!!!

Goodluck!

Since I just got done talking to them in person I can give you some answers. Spanish is not a requirement at the Interamerican University here in PR. On the other hand it is a huge plus because the patient base is mainly Spanish. Knowing Spanish will also give you a leg up on admissions. If you are admitted knowing no Spanish you will be required to take Spanish language classes. The good news is classes are all conducted in English. Here is the link to the school:

IAUPR School of Optometry

If you have any other questions about Puerto Rico or the school feel free to ask me. I've lived in PR for about 8 years now and know Spanish. :) And yes it is very safe in Puerto Rico.

Do you guys have to take board exams? If yes, how many times can you take them?
I'm having hard time talking to them over the phone. I think they are busy.

1) Retake pre-reqs at community college level and get all As. Reapply.
2) Do SMP and finish with 3.3+ (higher the better). Reapply.
3) Become a NEET.

While you're doing all of this, you should be grinding like crazy for the OAT. Score high. Very high.